Ideas for a Buffet for Baby Shower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauline46

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I am new here, and need some ideas for an uncoming baby shower I am putting on.

Does anyone have any good ideas for food to put out for a buffet that would suit a baby shower atmosphere?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A lot depends on how many people are you inviting to the shower. If you have a large circle of family and friends you may want to ensure you go with a menu that makes it easy on you. If it's a smaller more intimate affair then you can go a bit more elaborate and elegant.

I think a nice set of heavy appetizers would work well for an afternoon type shower.

- Sandwiches - You can make assorted sandwiches and cut the crust and make them into long rectangles or traingles.

Filling Suggestions - Chicken Salad with walnuts and pineapples, Cream Cheese flavored with dill as the spread and then thinly sliced cucumbers, Smoked Salmon.

-Phyllo Spinach and Cheese Traingles

- Crostini's with several dips (olive tapanade, tomato, garlic and basil etc.)

- Mini quiches

- Rice paper rolls cut into bite size

- Meatballs on a skewer with a dipping sauce of your choice

I am sure others will give you more.

Don't forget to add a punch. There are again so many nice non-alcoholic options.

Cherry tomatoes, small fresh mozzarella balls, basil skewers. Courtesy Essence of Emeril.

Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella in half. Place one piece of mozzarella on a skewer, followed by a basil leaf, finally a piece of tomato. The final assembly should resemble a red and white ball.

I make up a bunch of those, put them on a platter, drizzle with evoo S&P.

OR

Bacon wrapped shrimp with a grain mustard dip.

seeing Yakuta's suggestions reminded me of a dish my mom used to make for parties. It takes a loaf of unsliced bread. It is then sliced from heel to heel so you end up with 5 large loaf shaped rectangles. First slice on bottom butter top only, spread with ham salad, butter next slice and place butter side down, butter top and spread egg salad, same thing with chicken salad and then butter one side only for top. It will look like a loaf shaped layer cake. While doing all this, have cream cheese coming to room temp. Whip cream cheese and just enough sour cream to make easily spreadable. Frost sandwich loaf with cream cheese like a cake. Garnish with parsley and pimento or any other garnish you like. Refridgerate to set cheese. When ready to serve, slice like a regular loaf of bread. It is pretty to look at on the table and is usually a hit with parties.

These are all really good ideas! The shower is in the afternoo, and I'm not sure about the guest list, I have invited 14 people. I have Lupus so I don't want to wear myself out in any way. Everything ready and easy to serve is good.

Hubby has offered to help me too........isn't he nice?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pauline, why don't you have a luncheon.

I suggest 2 stratas cooked in 13x9 pans (one cheese, one mushroom and/or crab). These can be made a day ahead of time and then cooked right before serving.

Serve the stradas with a nice salad and good rolls. You won't wear yourself out at all.

Buy a cake or have someone else make their favorite dessert.

Last edited:
Hi Jan, do you know of any recipes for Stradas. I have never made one before, and I'm not sure I know what it is.........sheesh! I know........:angel:

Last edited:
Cheese Strata Souffle - 6-8 servings

12 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
butter (opt)
3/4 lb sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c light cream - sometimes I use milk for this, too
1 1/4 c milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 green onion, minced (I mince a few slices of reg onion)

Butter bread slices and dice (I don't butter the bread anymore). In greased 13x9 baking dish arrange alternate layers of bread and cheese, beginning and ending with bread.

Combine eggs, cream, milk, seasoning and onion. Pour over bread and cheese. Cover and chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour, but better overnight or for a day or two.

Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until no particles adhere to a metal knife inserted into souffle.

You can make them different by adding anything you want before you sprinkle on the cheese layers. I've added mushrooms, cooked bacon/sausage, crab, broccoli or spinach....anything you can think of. :)

Last edited:
A strata is basically an egg type custard, savory. It is easy to put together ahead of time. Then again I do like quiches over strata's both of them are relatively easy to put together.

Here is one Strata recipe I have used in the past as a quick fix type meal.

Bread cubes - Day old French or Vienna bread is fine. I would cut it into fat cubes. Use the entire bread if small use two

Assorted veggies of your choice - I like to use green onions, assorted bell peppers, spinach and broccoli (you can use any meat you like)

Assorted spices - I like everything spicy so I add a finely chopped jalapeno, some ground cumin and lots of freshly chopped cilantro. You can add any herbs you like and omit the jalapeno

Assorted cheeses - I like cheddar and monterey jack and lots of it (about 2-3 cups). You can once again add whatever you like. Parmesean, Provolone and other hard cheeses work well too

Eggs - A couple of dozen (you can use one dozen for a large strata)

2 cups of half and half

Salt and Black Pepper to taste

1 stick of butter

3 tbsp of oil

1 cup of cheddar cheese for the top

In a large pan add the oil and sweat the veggies and meat. Once cooked season it with salt and pepper, add the herbs.

Beat the eggs and add the half and half to it. Next add the sweated veggies and meat. Melt the butter and pour it in. Next add the cheeses and reserve it on the side.

In a large foil or any oven proof tray layer the bread cubes and pour half the custard mix. Next layer more bread followed by the remaining custard.

Refrigerate overnight.

Sprinkle 1 cup cheddar on the top before baking. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and a knife inserted comes out clean.

Thank you both for those recipes! I am starting to get a better picture of things I can serve......This is Great!!!

You've been very helpful!
Pauline

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing how a huge group of strangers from all over the world, come together to answer questions. :) This is such a nice site.

Thanks Jan, yes it is.

I noticed you are an animal lover. I have a sable headed white collie pup.

Most of the people on this forum are real animal lovers! Your collie sounds beautiful and when you have some time, please post a picture. We love to oooh and aaah over our pets.

Whoops, I see his pic in your avatar - gorgeous!

Last edited:
Another Question Please....

I have a new challenge I forgot to consider. I am going to make a lasagna for the shower and a salad. (just because it is easy) My daughter in law is allergic to dairy, so I need to make something else to go with the lasagna that she can have.

Any one have recipes with Goat cheese?

I love baby showers. Just set out a simple buffet consisting of a selection of crackers and cheese balls. Buy a veggie tray with dip and a fruit tray. (you don't have to trim the veggies & fruit yourself which always makes too much.) You can have a 2 qt picture of ice water or lemon water. At the end of the shower you can serve punch and cake (I really like the sheet cake from the baker that is decorated with little square borders and has a baby booties in each). You can set out some M&M candy bowls and peanut or cashew bowls in the party room. For games, you can have everyone guess the most common name for a boy and a girl. Another favorite game is charades. Place about 20 famous people's names in a container with a famous quote and have someone pick one and read the quote. Another game to play is pass the baby around. Wrap a baby doll in a blanket and during the party ask the guest of honor to have each guest to hold the baby for a little while. If she remembers to pass the baby around to all the guest, she wins. (prizes are just little while elephant gifts to laugh about, you can even ask the guest to bring one of their favorites to exchange). Next it is time to open gifts. Have a table ready to hold all the gifts so everyone can see them. Serve cake & punch. Have everyone to sign a guest book and write down their favorite baby names and best wishes beside their names. This helps people to know that the party is finished and they can bid you farewell.

I wanted to thank everyone for all their ideas and recipes. I had a very successful baby shower. There was plenty to eat and everyone seemed to enjoy what they had.

Thanks again! :rolleyes:

At my baby shower we had lasagna, rolls, salad, wings and deserts. That was it. Actually, if you didn't want to cook BJ's has some really good food for party's. Or instead of lasagna......baked macaroni with sauce. Everyone was happy at the shower. I'm trying to think if there was anything else.

legend_018 said:
At my baby shower we had lasagna, rolls, salad, wings and deserts. That was it. Actually, if you didn't want to cook BJ's has some really good food for party's. Or instead of lasagna......baked macaroni with sauce. Everyone was happy at the shower. I'm trying to think if there was anything else.

The baby shower has already taken place - I think you may have missed that :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom