"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Ideas for a Buffet for Baby Shower?

Hi everyone! I am new here, and need some ideas for an uncoming baby shower I am putting on.

Does anyone have any good ideas for food to put out for a buffet that would suit a baby shower atmosphere?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Master Chef

Is this to be a luncheon or just snack type food? What time of day? That will help.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Head Chef

A lot depends on how many people are you inviting to the shower. If you have a large circle of family and friends you may want to ensure you go with a menu that makes it easy on you. If it's a smaller more intimate affair then you can go a bit more elaborate and elegant.

I think a nice set of heavy appetizers would work well for an afternoon type shower.

- Sandwiches - You can make assorted sandwiches and cut the crust and make them into long rectangles or traingles.

Filling Suggestions - Chicken Salad with walnuts and pineapples, Cream Cheese flavored with dill as the spread and then thinly sliced cucumbers, Smoked Salmon.

-Phyllo Spinach and Cheese Traingles

- Crostini's with several dips (olive tapanade, tomato, garlic and basil etc.)

- Mini quiches

- Rice paper rolls cut into bite size

- Meatballs on a skewer with a dipping sauce of your choice

I am sure others will give you more.

Don't forget to add a punch. There are again so many nice non-alcoholic options.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Cherry tomatoes, small fresh mozzarella balls, basil skewers. Courtesy Essence of Emeril.

Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella in half. Place one piece of mozzarella on a skewer, followed by a basil leaf, finally a piece of tomato. The final assembly should resemble a red and white ball.

I make up a bunch of those, put them on a platter, drizzle with evoo S&P.

OR

Bacon wrapped shrimp with a grain mustard dip.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Master Chef

seeing Yakuta's suggestions reminded me of a dish my mom used to make for parties. It takes a loaf of unsliced bread. It is then sliced from heel to heel so you end up with 5 large loaf shaped rectangles. First slice on bottom butter top only, spread with ham salad, butter next slice and place butter side down, butter top and spread egg salad, same thing with chicken salad and then butter one side only for top. It will look like a loaf shaped layer cake. While doing all this, have cream cheese coming to room temp. Whip cream cheese and just enough sour cream to make easily spreadable. Frost sandwich loaf with cream cheese like a cake. Garnish with parsley and pimento or any other garnish you like. Refridgerate to set cheese. When ready to serve, slice like a regular loaf of bread. It is pretty to look at on the table and is usually a hit with parties.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

These are all really good ideas! The shower is in the afternoo, and I'm not sure about the guest list, I have invited 14 people. I have Lupus so I don't want to wear myself out in any way. Everything ready and easy to serve is good.

Hubby has offered to help me too........isn't he nice?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Pauline, why don't you have a luncheon.

I suggest 2 stratas cooked in 13x9 pans (one cheese, one mushroom and/or crab). These can be made a day ahead of time and then cooked right before serving.

Serve the stradas with a nice salad and good rolls. You won't wear yourself out at all.

Buy a cake or have someone else make their favorite dessert.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hi Jan, do you know of any recipes for Stradas. I have never made one before, and I'm not sure I know what it is.........sheesh! I know........
Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef

brb.......................
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Cheese Strata Souffle - 6-8 servings

12 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
butter (opt)
3/4 lb sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c light cream - sometimes I use milk for this, too
1 1/4 c milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 green onion, minced (I mince a few slices of reg onion)

Butter bread slices and dice (I don't butter the bread anymore). In greased 13x9 baking dish arrange alternate layers of bread and cheese, beginning and ending with bread.

Combine eggs, cream, milk, seasoning and onion. Pour over bread and cheese. Cover and chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour, but better overnight or for a day or two.

Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until no particles adhere to a metal knife inserted into souffle.

You can make them different by adding anything you want before you sprinkle on the cheese layers. I've added mushrooms, cooked bacon/sausage, crab, broccoli or spinach....anything you can think of.