Ideas For Easter Dinner For 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sage

Cook
Good morning,
I'm looking for ideas for our Easter dinner. The family has moved away so we are alone for Easter. I used to prepare wonderful special meals but now it is different. The magazines and web sites are full of great meals for larger families but I am sure there are quite few here who are in the same situation that we are. I thought I would ask this and see how many interesting suggestions come back. We love ham but they seem to last forever.:ohmy:

It will be just my husband and I on Easter this year, so I understand your situation. I will be following this thread because I need ideas too! I was thinking of ham as well, but then there will be so much leftover.

My husband & I are not going anywhere for Easter either. I bought a small ham (6 lbs, it has a bone in it) to make for us; I am making small batch of homemade potato salad, a pot of fresh green beans and I have some Zingerman's bread in the freezer which I will defrost and bake. I am also making a strawberry tiramisu for dessert. I am cutting the tiramisu recipe in half and making an 8 x 10 pan versus a 9 x 13 pan.
Yes, we will have some leftovers but not too many. I rarely make a ham for the two of us, but I found a small one and it will be nice to have a little ham on Easter (plus I can make great bean soup with the bone).

If you want ham with no leftovers, get a good sized ham steak...it can still be glazed or done up your favorite way in a pan on the stove top. Beautiful filet steaks or loin lamb chops are wonderful cuts of meat and can be portioned for your # and appetites. Roast a turkey breast or do small game birds like cornish hens. Fix your favorite sides...if you want scolloped potatoes make a small baking dish of them. 1/2 your usual recipe for example. Same with any caserole. OR make the usual amount but freeze half for another time and only cook up part of the recipe.

Choosing a fine cut of meat or fish for your holiday meal need not require cooking a huge roast or bird, and making favorite side dishes is still an option.

Sage - for the last 12 years it's just been my husband & me for holiday meals, & we've developed our own "traditions for two".

Christmas: Roast Goose, Butter Braised Brussels Sprouts (trying saying that one 3 times fast - lol), Czech Bread Dumplings, Sauerkraut, & Port Wine Gravy. The two of us get the Christmas Dinner & a dinner of the leftovers, then I take whatever is left of the goose & make a New Years Day French Cassoulet, which also gives us quite a few dinners & lunches.

Thanksgiving: Roast Turkey, of course, along with Garlic Creamed Spinach, Plain baked Idaho & Sweet Potatoes, the infamous "Green Bean Casserole", & stuffing/dressing.

Easter Sunday: A smoked turkey or a rotisserie-roasted duck. Sides depend on which poultry I choose (or can find - lol), but is usually buttered egg noodles & a veggie.

You could buy a butt portion...it's the best end of the ham, and will be just enough for Easter dinner, a meal of ham and scalloped potatoes, and a few sandwiches. Freeze the meaty bone and save for ham'n beans later. You can also dice some and put in small packets in the freezer for seasoning other dishes.

A roast chicken would be a good choice for an Easter Dinner for two. Add some fresh spring vegetables, such as asparagus or peas with roasted new potatoes and baby carrots.
Carrot cake would make a nice "Easterish" dessert.

Thank you for your input; hope I can find a small ham and start our new traditional holiday dinners; it,s a good idea. At Christmas. I bought a small turkey and it was great we had a wonderful meal for 2; I did get a chance to really enjoy it .When I have the gang over( 4 sons & family),I'm usually rushing to get everyone fed etc.I was able to freeze a few turkey & gravy containers; when I feel like turkey it's ready; I even made a turkey pie with the frozen stuff. Anyone know if you can freeze ham?

Back
Top Bottom