"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

lamb/spam

Hello Iornchef. You claim the Spam capitol of the world as home base. Have you been to the Spam Museum? In Nebraska-or is it N. Dak? Thowe states do tend to blend together once you are east of the badlands. Yep, a large museum, devoted to all aspects of the history of Spam--and the history of the days when Spam was new on the block. Graysmoke

Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check around and see what I cna come up with. The fillets are being stuffed with Portabello Mushrooms, Asparagus and Roasted Garlic. The sauce for them would be Portabelo Mushroom, Red Wine Jus
Sounds good, but how about doing a bernaise? That way you don't have two wine based sauces for both meats.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysmoke
Hello Iornchef. You claim the Spam capitol of the world as home base. Have you been to the Spam Museum? In Nebraska-or is it N. Dak? Thowe states do tend to blend together once you are east of the badlands. Yep, a large museum, devoted to all aspects of the history of Spam--and the history of the days when Spam was new on the block. Graysmoke
Nope, never been there but I've seen in on the Food Network.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thought you'd like this. Have been to the SPAM museum. Also lived in Hawaii, SPAM eating capitol of the universe. I dislike the stuff, but can probably name more ways of preparing SPAM than anyone else here besides certain Hawaiin correspondents! I'm throwing a 50s party for my husband's 60th anniversary, and SPAM will be featured! And yes, I did send SPAM museum post cards to all my friends in Hawaii! SPAM kabobs. Fried SPAM. SPAM saimin. SPAM with eggs for breakfast. Are you ready for this? SPAM sushi (anyone remember what this is called? It seems to me it had a special name but I can't bring it to mind). Oh my goodness. A bartender in Austin asked us if SPAM was seriously eaten that much in Hawaii, she thought it was a propaganda ploy fed to kids growing up there. Yes, they really did, at least in the late 80s, early 90s. SPAM was even on the menu at some of the most high priced, high class restaurants for breakfast and brunch. OUCH.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
Heís planned the core of two potential ďMain DishesĒ One is an Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb, and the other is a stuffed Fillet Mignon. I can figure out the sides for the Fillet but I donít have a lot of experience with Lamb. Iím trying to impress him and his mother but ultimately want to balance the dish. Iím wondering if anyone out there has some original ideas for sides to go with Lamb. So far I have developed 2 ideas myself:

1)Honey Glazed Squash with Asparagus
2)Jasmine Rice slightly flavored with mint leaves, with a Green Tea steeped with mint as well.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions for things to go with this kind of thing I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Jim
Welcome to DC.

Are you having both "mains" during her stay?
I think that the asparagus would go with the lamb but I'm not big on the rice idea. Lamb and potatoes seem like a much better match.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote