Interesting Recipe Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newton55

Assistant Cook
I have my final home economics practical exam in about a weeks time, where I am required to make and present a skilled dish for assesment.

The trouble is, I can't find a recipe that I feel inspired to make, or that will be recognised as technical enough to earn skill points - does anybody here have any good, solid recipes that are tried and tested, that look good plated that I might be able to serve up??

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Just have a look at all the recipes that have been posted on here - there must be thousands that would suit the bill!

And, pardon me for pointing this out.... but does your teacher/lecturer not expect you to do the research yourself? :chef:

My research includes requesting recipes that I can review from what I could consider experienced cooks.

I expect to find some here, thus I ask if they have anything interesting for me.

As I've said, there are THOUSANDS here! Many by very experienced chefs, so have a good look round, and I'm SURE you'll find something suitable. If you see anything you like, but are concerned about your level of expertise or perhaps an ingredient, just ask..:chef:

Maybe you'd be more inspired by the 'appearance' of prepared dishes. Check the Member Photos section in the blue menu bar near the top of this screen.

Well lets ask this what are you looking for main course dessert appy?? SOmething with Meat or Veggie, or Chocolate?

Help us out here. I could type out 1000000 recipes but give us a hand in helping you

Newton, do you know about the Search button here? Look for it near the righthand side of the top menu. Click on Advanced Search. You'll see a number of options for narrowing the search. You could start maybe with "Pork Tenderloin" which is always impressive and it's almost impossible to ruin a good pork tenderloin if you have a meat thermometer. Choose the option of those words in the message title, then scroll further down and narrow the search just to the "Pork" section. You'll end with a concise selection of pork tenderloin recipes... then do the same with another ingredient or maybe the words "Stuffed Chicken Breast." Stuffing something would show off skills, especially if you had to chop something up first and then make a sauce to go with. Good Luck

well I only have an hour and a half to do EVERYTHING, so desserts with geletin that need to set or breads with yeast are just about out of the question.

I was just wondering if anybody has a prized dish, something they make for guests that is impressive and they are prowd of it.

I know there are thousands here - but sifting through all of them (while writing my french extended writing, pure maths investigation project and the MILLION of other things I have on my plate right now) seems like a frightening task in itself!

Well Newton sounds like you want us to do your homework for you. And Unfortunatly some of us have been to chef school etc and have done this before.

You need to make time if its important. You said you got a lot on your plate. Sure i could give you a recipe for wild mushroom risotto with parmesan curls and truffle oil BUT youve got no time to try it out...

do you think that if you get all these peoples recipes that have taken time to prepare you can do it once for home ec. and be ok?? I think not!

you need to sit down and figure out YOUR ABILITES first. Iron chef is right.

We wont do your homework for you however... Come to us with ides like.. I want to make a main course with Chicken and spinach.. and i want a Cakey Dessert using Cherries...

Try that! then come on back to us

P.s a hour and a half is plenty for a geltain dessert to set!

Well, newton55, here's one that I was proud of.

http://www.cookiesfromitaly.com/recipes/farsumagru.htm

My family made this recipe for our Sicilian Night in March. It would fit in your time frame, but it's pretty easy to do. Maybe you could make some fancy sauce to pool on the plate, under the slices, to raise the level of difficulty.

Or Chef Jen's mushroom risotto would be a wonderful base for the plate.

Obviously, you want to present slices with eggs in them, although the non-egg slices on the ends were also delicious.

Good luck on your exam!

Let us know what you decided to cook and how you did!

Lee

Attachments

• Flank steak and mortadella.JPG
    Flank steak and mortadella.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Braciole.JPG
    Braciole.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
newton55 said:
I have my final home economics practical exam in about a weeks time, where I am required to make and present a skilled dish for assesment.

Can you tell me what a "skilled dish" is. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. Do you want something that tastes out-of-this-world? Do you want something that looks good? (I am no good at presentation so I won't be able to help ya there.)

Could you give us a little more detail? Someone will be able to help you or point you in the right direction if we have a better idea of what you're looking for.

Jeez - we recently had a thread about, "Are We the Nicest, Friendliest..." & everyone agreed that we were. Where are all those nice, friendly people?

Newton isn't asking us to do his homework - he's asking for advice & suggestions - he's still the one who will have to prepare & present the dish. We are the ones with the experience who might be able to help him out & make his dish a winner. Nothing wrong with asking knowledgable people for help, is there?

"The trouble is, I can't find a recipe that I feel inspired to make, or that will be recognised as technical enough to earn skill points ..."

I'd first ask:
"What is your favourite style of cooking? Classic French, Greek, Japanese, Paraguayan, Italian, Scottish, Indian, German ?"
Once we have that established, we can whittle down the options.
Secondly, I'd offer this one I did for a dinner party today. You can call it Indian, Caribbean, Exotic, Miami Beach - it could have come from anywhere - but it's not difficult and works well.
Coconut Chicken with Mango and Banana
(Feeds 4 - 6 )
1 kg chicken breasts, skin removed, cleaned
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsps fresh grated coconut
1/2 lt coconut milk *
1 small hot red chilli pepper, diced small (optional)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp curry powder ( Use a good quality brand. I make my own, so it's excellent, of course :ROFLMAO:. For this dish I used a South Indian combination called Sambhar, which has toasted, ground split lentils in the mix. Don't need to get complicated - the curry is fine! )
2 tsps salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 medium,barely ripe,mango, peeled and diced
2 medium bananas, sliced into rounds
Juice of 1 lime
Ghee, clarified butter or canola oil for frying

Method:

In a large frying pan, add a tbsp of ghee/oil and heat. Place the chicken breasts in the oil and sautée until just browned. Turn over and repeat the process, then set aside. Do all the chicken breasts like that.

Using the same oil as you fried the chicken in ( providing it's not burned) , fry the onions until just pale. Add the minced ginger and the chilli pepper, stir for about 30 seconds, then add the curry powder and the grated coconut. Stir once or twice.

Add the coconut milk and stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Add the tomato paste and blend well together.

Slice the chicken on the bias into 1/2 - 3/4 inch strips and add to the coconut stock. (If you want to leave the breasts whole, go ahead; if you want to cube them, that's ok too - depends on how you're going to present them.) Add the salt and simmer gently for about 10 - 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning. (the dish should be salty ; but you're going to add fruit NOW...)
Add the diced mango and mix in gently - you want to preserve the shape without turning the dish into a casserole. Stir once or twice, then add the black pepper and the lime juice. Stir once or twice.

Just before serving, add the banana rounds and mix in to warm through.
Serve with saffron rice or basmati rice & green peas.

(* Coconut milk.If you want to make your own, take a couple of coconuts ( the brown variety ), remove the milk and then remove the meat. Blitz the meat in a blender/processor and measure it out. What ever measure you use, add double the quantity of water. Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower to barely simmer, then cook for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and strain the water through a fine sieve, pressing hard on the solids to squeeze out the juice.
If that's too complicated, simply buy a can or two of unsweetened coconut milk. The Piña Colada stuff is no good; it has to be unsweetened)

Man, I think Jen just absolutely nailed it--but everyone else danced around it also. Hey, Newton, search the MYRIADS of recipe sites for what you NEED to do for YOUR grade.

Gretchen said:
Man, I think Jen just absolutely nailed it--but everyone else danced around it also. Hey, Newton, search the MYRIADS of recipe sites for what you NEED to do for YOUR grade.

yep - maybe...

But then maybe, sometimes, we need a little help from our friends.

JUST to give us a little inspirational push; then the creative juices begin to flow and all of a sudden its US who's throwing the ideas around!

Some days, Gretchen - I have a brain like a chicken.
But other days, WOW! Einstein!!:LOL: :LOL:

Oh i dont mind helping the person AND im not being non friendly im just stating hes asking for my most killer recipes that have taken me months to perfect.. and he has a WEEK to do them.

For all i know hes never handled raw chicken or doesnt know how to prepare a fresh artichoke and has never made a brulle. (be kinda hard to learn all those skills in a week!!). I gave him the example of a mushroom risotto but if hes NEVER seen a chantrelle or mushrooms other then button mushrooms wed be in trouble. I want the kid to do well!

If he had of posted... Doing a school thing blah blah Im looking for the best recipes however i want a chicken recipe... something quick for the app maybe salad style as ive only got 1.5 hours and for the dessert im looking for something cakey.. then Ya i could have hlped him!

And your right nothing wrong with asking for help.. But im sure part of this project is FINDING out dishes you want to do. I can sit here and tell you what kind of menu all day long but thats not helping him pick a menu.

Heck come to us with a menu and we will critic it change it or love it.

Corrine, im not being rude but when you look at it this way it does kinda make sense non?

Back
Top Bottom