"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Interesting Recipe Needed!

I have my final home economics practical exam in about a weeks time, where I am required to make and present a skilled dish for assesment.

The trouble is, I can't find a recipe that I feel inspired to make, or that will be recognised as technical enough to earn skill points - does anybody here have any good, solid recipes that are tried and tested, that look good plated that I might be able to serve up??

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Just have a look at all the recipes that have been posted on here - there must be thousands that would suit the bill!

And, pardon me for pointing this out.... but does your teacher/lecturer not expect you to do the research yourself?

Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

My research includes requesting recipes that I can review from what I could consider experienced cooks.

I expect to find some here, thus I ask if they have anything interesting for me.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

As I've said, there are THOUSANDS here! Many by very experienced chefs, so have a good look round, and I'm SURE you'll find something suitable. If you see anything you like, but are concerned about your level of expertise or perhaps an ingredient, just ask..
Old 07-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Head Chef

Maybe you'd be more inspired by the 'appearance' of prepared dishes. Check the Member Photos section in the blue menu bar near the top of this screen.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Well lets ask this what are you looking for main course dessert appy?? SOmething with Meat or Veggie, or Chocolate?

Help us out here. I could type out 1000000 recipes but give us a hand in helping you
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Newton, do you know about the Search button here? Look for it near the righthand side of the top menu. Click on Advanced Search. You'll see a number of options for narrowing the search. You could start maybe with "Pork Tenderloin" which is always impressive and it's almost impossible to ruin a good pork tenderloin if you have a meat thermometer. Choose the option of those words in the message title, then scroll further down and narrow the search just to the "Pork" section. You'll end with a concise selection of pork tenderloin recipes... then do the same with another ingredient or maybe the words "Stuffed Chicken Breast." Stuffing something would show off skills, especially if you had to chop something up first and then make a sauce to go with. Good Luck
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

well I only have an hour and a half to do EVERYTHING, so desserts with geletin that need to set or breads with yeast are just about out of the question.

I was just wondering if anybody has a prized dish, something they make for guests that is impressive and they are prowd of it.

I know there are thousands here - but sifting through all of them (while writing my french extended writing, pure maths investigation project and the MILLION of other things I have on my plate right now) seems like a frightening task in itself!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Newton, throw us a bone here...what do you WANT to make? What CAN you make? What's YOUR skill level. What kinds of flavors do you want to showcase?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Well Newton sounds like you want us to do your homework for you. And Unfortunatly some of us have been to chef school etc and have done this before.

You need to make time if its important. You said you got a lot on your plate. Sure i could give you a recipe for wild mushroom risotto with parmesan curls and truffle oil BUT youve got no time to try it out...

do you think that if you get all these peoples recipes that have taken time to prepare you can do it once for home ec. and be ok?? I think not!

you need to sit down and figure out YOUR ABILITES first. Iron chef is right.

We wont do your homework for you however... Come to us with ides like.. I want to make a main course with Chicken and spinach.. and i want a Cakey Dessert using Cherries...

Try that! then come on back to us

P.s a hour and a half is plenty for a geltain dessert to set!