International carnival day at work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countrycook

Assistant Cook
So, our boss came to us today and said we would be having an international carnival day and she wants us to come up with a menu for the lunch meal. We serve 350 teenagers and about 50 adults everyday at lunch time so it needs to be something 2 cooks can handle....anyone have any ideas?

Just want to clear up that it is just a theme meal for our school....my boss wants us to pick foods that you would see at a carnival like corn dogs, souvlaki, funnel cakes, etc.

So we need to come up with salad, soup, dessert, hot veg.,2 starch, and 2 meats..

I totally adore theme ideas.

Simply yummy would be things like:

Roasted nuts, cotton candy, smoothies, etc.

corn dogs, hot dogs, absolutely anything on a stick, including cheese cake!

corn on the cob, funnel cakes candy or caramel apples!

For make-aheads, I would likely go with the stuff on a stick theme. Corn dogs, even veggie corn dogs, are a guilty pleasure!

You are going to have so much fun!

You could try to make a cheddar broccoli soup. This could knock out one veggie dish...

Frozen bananas on a stick and coated with chocolate (and then frozen). (I personally hate bananas, but these were very popular at the county fair where I grew up). Make ahead, and a fruit <g>.

What about Beaver Tails?

Last edited:
If you want easy for two people, I think you want to go with regular items that have been "carnivalized"

The broccoli cheese soup is great - serve it with tortilla chips for a take-off on nachos!

Dessert is easy - mini donuts, but to make it easier, just drop bits of batter into the hot fat and then roll them in sugar like donut holes! These can be done the night before or the morning of the event. Also, cut bananas in half, dip in chocolate and freeze (you don't even need to put them on sticks

For your starches, potato wedges, skin on and drizzle with olive oil and fresh or dried Italian herbs. Bake in the oven. Second starch - perogies - buy them made and boil them. Serve with sour cream.

Meat - as has already been suggested, hot dogs, corn dogs, hamburgers. Or how about chicken fingers?

As for your salad, you could make vegetable and fruit kabobs. You can make these ahead and either serve them cold or grill/broil them.

Hope that helps!

Salad -

Frozen bananas on a stick and coated with chocolate (and then frozen). (I personally hate bananas, but these were very popular at the county fair where I grew up). Make ahead, and a fruit <g>.

What about Beaver Tails?

Sorry CW, I was typing when you posted this so we criss-crossed on our banana idea....then again, it must mean it is a good idea! :chef:

Sorry CW, I was typing when you posted this so we criss-crossed on our banana idea....then again, it must mean it is a good idea! :chef:

Except I only eat bananas when I make the Beaver Club's [restaurant in the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal] Banana Bread. I hate the smell and the texture of bananas, except in this banana bread and that's the only banana bread I eat. I won't let my DH bring them in the house unless they are for banana bread and they best be ripe enough for me to make banana bread the same day. I went on a road trip with my bro'. He brought bananas with him. I made him get back out of the car and eat them before we hit the road. Ironically, he's coming back from S.A. Friday and I offered to pick up some groceries and bring them to his apartment--he's requested bananas! I would've gone to get the groceries tonight, but I didn't want to smell bananas all night and with the temps, I couldn't leave them in the car. He better not have forgotten the black quinoa I asked him to bring back...(I also don't like the texture of pears, but that's another post--and I guess I can add Kasha to the short list of foods I don't like/eat).

Last edited:
If you want easy for two people, I think you want to go with regular items that have been "carnivalized"

The broccoli cheese soup is great - serve it with tortilla chips for a take-off on nachos!

Dessert is easy - mini donuts, but to make it easier, just drop bits of batter into the hot fat and then roll them in sugar like donut holes! These can be done the night before or the morning of the event. Also, cut bananas in half, dip in chocolate and freeze (you don't even need to put them on sticks

For your starches, potato wedges, skin on and drizzle with olive oil and fresh or dried Italian herbs. Bake in the oven. Second starch - perogies - buy them made and boil them. Serve with sour cream.

Meat - as has already been suggested, hot dogs, corn dogs, hamburgers. Or how about chicken fingers?

As for your salad, you could make vegetable and fruit kabobs. You can make these ahead and either serve them cold or grill/broil them.

Hope that helps!

Salad -

How about the soup in bread bowls?

Frozen bananas are awesome!

Bread bowls are a good idea as long as you find (or make) small ones. These are mostly teenagers and there is a lot of other food to choose from!

You also see carnivals selling half-smokes, grilled sausages and hot dogs with your choice of toppings: onion (raw or cooked), cole slaw, sauerkraut, cheese sauce, mustard, ketchup. Depening where you are there are also thick-cut fried with malt vinegar. Candy apples too.

You guys are awesome!! I wrote all of these Ideas down and will take them to work this morning....I will let you know what we decide to go with. I like the chocolate dipped banana idea, these kids would love them!
Thanks!!
Have a great day everyone!

You also see carnivals selling half-smokes, grilled sausages and hot dogs with your choice of toppings: onion (raw or cooked), cole slaw, sauerkraut, cheese sauce, mustard, ketchup. Depening where you are there are also thick-cut fried with malt vinegar. Candy apples too.

we are in Saskatchewan, but the kids come from all over the world(reason for the International part)

I have my own professional cotton candy machine and it is pretty labor intensive - one person would have to run it unless you make it all ahead and put it in bags.

Back
Top Bottom