ISO a Traditional Fruitcake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, no one actually still makes fruitcakes anymore. That's interesting.

oh dear. not true. in fact was just gandering the dried fruits, etc. at the market yesterday.

but,,, only once a year - so I don't have the stuff on the computer - need to dig it out. stuff from the '20-30s (wonder if those fruit cakes are still in circulation...?)

my fav is from WW2 - butterless fruit cake,,, the rationing thing....

>>budget buster
amen to that. add in half a hundred for a good brandy soak.....

I've never made fruitcake. No family tradition thereof. I had some fabulous stuff (store bought) once, that a friend gave me.

1 Claxton fruitcake in the tin
1 bottle dark rum

Open fruitcake and pour rum over cake until tin is full. reseal cake and return lid to tin. Repeat everyday until rum bottle is empty. Age at least a month. Can be "enjoyed" or gifted for the next century!:angel:

Andy , I don't make fruitcake. I am the only one in our family who eats it. And we have a large extended family.

I think it was last year, I was looking on line at buyng a fruticake rather than the not so good small brick from the grocer/bakers. There all these Monks who live in monestaries who mail order handmade fruitcakes. Pretty expensive. Some seem to use pretty good ingredients, or at least they soak them in good booze. Google Fruitcake Monks and there's many. Who knew what they were up to for goodness sake.

This recipe was given to me by a friend. I like it because I can use the fruits I like and she always used the fruits she liked that included the candied citrus peel (shudder).
Hilda's Fruit Cake
1-1/2 dried chopped fruit, your choice and combination
(try cranberries,apricots, cherries, etc)
7 oz golden raisins
4 oz currents (or more raisins or cranberries)
4 oz mixed peel...orange,lemon, citron (I used more cranberries or raisins)
2 oz maraschino cherries
1/2 lb dark brown sugar
15 oz brewed black Pekoe tea
Mix all the fruit in a bowl, pour cooled tea over all, cover and allow to soak overnight. Next day stir in one egg and one pound of self rising flour. Divide into two loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until tests done. Leave in tins to cool.

My sister used to make a Light Fruitcake from the older BH&G cookbook, it was wonderful. I'll check mine and see if it's in the edition I have now.

I do have it, do you want me to PM it to you?

Dried-Fruit Fruitcake Recipe

PF I want to thank you for posting this. I made it the day after you posted it.

Today we tried it for the first time ... nothing but love !!!

Now I love fruitcake .. always have. But this one is by far the best I've ever had.

This evening after all the clean-up is done I am going to start another one ... OMG YUM !!!!!

Thank you !!

PF I want to thank you for posting this. I made it the day after you posted it.

Today we tried it for the first time ... nothing but love !!!

Now I love fruitcake .. always have. But this one is by far the best I've ever had.

This evening after all the clean-up is done I am going to start another one ... OMG YUM !!!!!

Thank you !!

You are very welcome. I like it, too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom