"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Here, the food & hygeine rules are that no food should be left at room temp for over 2 hours. I will be taking everything over there in cool boxes and will try to plan it so anything like that stays in the coolbox til just before it goes on the plates. Best I can do.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

That's all right, then csalt. I was thinking you were leaving everything out on a table in a deserted room that would be filled with hungry people an hour later.

But a nice cheese platter would benefit from sitting out for an hour or so.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
Master Chef

Hollowed out cherry tomatoes with herbed cheese stuffed/piped into them.

Peeled cherry tomatoes soaked in vodka & served with toothpicks alongside a container of herbed sea salt (aka Bloody Mary Tomatoes).

Small pepperoni/salami slices curled around a schmear of cream cheese (plain or flavored) & fastened with decorative toothpicks.

Hollowed out cabbages filled with dip & surrounded with a variety of raw &/or blanched vegetable crudite.

Hollowed out round breads filled with dip & surrounded with their cubed inards.

Raw fresh snow peas filled with herbed cheese.

To be honest, my list is virtually endless.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef

MB I will be leaving some of the food out, in a deserted room , for an hour tops, but I will plan to have things like meat and egg based stuff stay in the cool box til I dash back and put it out.

DH belongs to an Association of Christian Gentleman. They are having a Mass for Vocations in July. Normally we would have the buffet at our home but

a) it's too small
b) the venue for the Mass is 8 miles away
c) As he is on the Staff of the Church /Shrine where the Mass will take place, we will use the Staffroom, which is perfectly OK for buffets as long as most people are standing!

I will ask one or two of the other ladies to help me do 'the rush' bit!

Any ideas for 'afters'...it has to be stuff they can hold, so no trifle etc.
It's fresh fruit season so probably some strawberries and grapes and different sorts of cake. I can make the cakes and freeze them. At least I've got time to get myself organised
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

why not something simple like cookies for "afters"? Easy to bake/freeze/thaw.
Or petits fours, if you're ambitious and want to impress. Another way to go would be to dip those seasonal strawberries in some nice choc.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I'm a little worried about Andy's deviled eggs sitting around for about an hour before anyone eats them.
csalt,
I get a bag of crushed ice, put it into a baggie then place it into a container with sides, then get a matching serving try, line with my greens, set the eggs on that and place the platter onto the tray so it touches the bagged ice, works great to keep things cool. You could also get those containers you freeze and place them under your tray of eggs.

kadesma
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I jumping around here, as you mentioned dessert too. I thought of a few more:

For after:

Strawberry Blossoms - wash & hull the berries, slice in quarters (like an X), but not all the way through (the berries will look like little flowers), pipe in herbed cream cheese.

During:
You can fill the cherry tomatoes (I mentioned earlier), the same way - pipe the herbed or salmon cream cheese in som -- and prepared pesto in the rest. Top each cherry tomato w a tiny bay shrimp.

Puff pastry wrapped pencil asparaugs - slice the asparagus in thirds, blanch in saloted water, pluge in ice water, dry; and wrap a piece of puff pastry around each & bake.

Zucchini-di-Carpaccio (below) and/or bruschetta
carpaccio-di-zucchini

Rumaki - chicken livers wrapped in bacon w a water chestnut on party picks.

Back to the after:
Cherry Cheesecake Cookie Cups

Cheesecake Cookie Cups
Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Head Chef

[quote=mish]Mini quiches

I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks yummy, to me:
Crustless Carrot Mini-Quiches

quote]

Oh, I am DEFINITELY going to try this recipe! Not just with carrots, but with Vidalias, mushrooms, scallions, ham, green pepper, all of the above!

I have mini-muffin tins, too, so they would be a wonderful appetizer to add to our Lazy Susan. (probably not so good for csalt's cold appetizer gig, though)

I bet Eggbeaters would work great, too.

Thanks, mish!

Lee
Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #19
Head Chef

csalt,

I adore tea sandwiches, but they are a pain to make!

I have done this for a bunch of people and it's quick and easy:

Get a bunch of French breads, slice on the side, lengthwise. Spread each one with a different filling: chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, crab salad, cream cheese and olive, salmon and cream cheese, cream cheese and hot pepper jelly (cream cheese is very versatile), pb and j, etc. Wrap up in saran wrap and chill till it's time to serve. Cut the breads into hand-sized sandwiches (an electric knife helps).

I love parties like yours! I could appetizer my way through life!

Lee
Old 05-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
DH belongs to an Association of Christian Gentleman. They are having a Mass for Vocations in July. Normally we would have the buffet at our home but
Well, I guess that automatically votes out the Vodka/Bloody Mary Tomatoes - lol!!!!!