ISO cold finger food ideas for a buffet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
QSis said:
mish said:
Mini quiches

I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks yummy, to me:
Crustless Carrot Mini-Quiches

quote]

Oh, I am DEFINITELY going to try this recipe! Not just with carrots, but with Vidalias, mushrooms, scallions, ham, green pepper, all of the above!

I have mini-muffin tins, too, so they would be a wonderful appetizer to add to our Lazy Susan. (probably not so good for csalt's cold appetizer gig, though)

I bet Eggbeaters would work great, too.

Thanks, mish!

Lee

I knew when I saw the mini carrot quiches, I would like them - but haven't had a chance to get to them. Your version looks yum, & I like the eggbeater suggestion. I think the colors and tastes of the carrot quiches & zuchinni di carpaccio would work nicely together... a few stuffed shrooms wouldn't be bad either. I'm hungry! :LOL:

Last edited:
Mmmm, I love ramaki, Mish. We marinate ours in soy sauce, then cook under the oven broiler or on the grill. I"m afraid serving could be a little tricky for this occasion, though. They're great hot or room temperature, but they taste greasy when they're cold, and chicken livers can spoil in a hurry.

I don't know if you have braunsweiger in the UK, but I mix it with cream cheese and sliced olives to make spread that is very tasty on tea sandwiches made with rye bread.

I don't remember seeing any cheeseballs suggested. I know you're going to have a cheese tray, but you might use a cheeseball as part of it. Here's my Fiesta Cheese ball...it's always a big hit.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/fiesta-cheese-ball-17995.html?highlight=Fiesta+cheese+ball

Don't forget to garnish your cheese tray with fruit. Grapes are nice. And have some artfully arranged fruit nearby...fresh pineapple sticks, apple slices, strawberries, melon balls, halved kiwis, etc.

kadesma said:
csalt,
I get a bag of crushed ice, put it into a baggie then place it into a container with sides, then get a matching serving try, line with my greens, set the eggs on that and place the platter onto the tray so it touches the bagged ice, works great to keep things cool. You could also get those containers you freeze and place them under your tray of eggs.

kadesma

That's a good idea. I'd been half thinking along those lines. What I really think is was I mad to offer to do this!:LOL:

BreezyCooking said:
Well, I guess that automatically votes out the Vodka/Bloody Mary Tomatoes - lol!!!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Only cos they've got to drive home; not for any other reason:LOL:

Thanks folks for all the good ideas. All I need to do now is keep calm.
How I wish you lived close by!!

cant go wrong with chips and homemade salsa. heck, make the chips if you want!

Around here people make rumaki with chunks of chicken breast rather than liver. I like the liver better, but must admit that the breast is better if it has to sit out on a buffet table for awhile.

I, too, use egg-beaters quite a bit. They are handy, less cholesterol (we're getting to an age where we all have to think about it) and are pasturized so safe raw (my husband makes a mean egg nog with them).

post_old.gif
05-20-2007, 12:31 PM #3

jabbur
Executive Chef

I have a recipe for cheese biscuits that work well. They can be frozen after baked and then set out at room temp. If you want the recipe, I'll find it and post it here later. We made these for my sister's wedding so they were made about 2-3 weeks ahead and you would have never guessed it! A southern US tradition of ham biscuits is another idea. It is dinner rolls (not buns) split in half with a slice of ham inserted. Tradition states it should be cured or smoked ham but any ham coldcut will work. These are good and substantial without being hugh sandwiches.

Jabbur: I am interested in your recipe, have looked (perhaps I dont know how to search) but didnt found it, Could you post it? Thanks in advance

Salami slice, spread with cream cheese, small gherkin, roll up, secure with toothpick.

Back
Top Bottom