"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO cold finger food ideas for a buffet.

In a couple of months time I shall be needing to do a buffet for about 30 people. All the food needs to be easily transportable in the car. It needs to be cold as there is only a microwave oven . Also I won't have time for heating stuff.
It needs to be food that can be laid out 1 hour beforehand and just coverings whipped off when the event which it follows is over.
It would be helpful if I could start making the things now and put them in the freezer.
It needs to be food which can be eaten standing up! and using the minimum amount of utensils! fingers preferably.

Im thinking

quiches
vol au vents
sausages
cheese and pineapple
scotch eggs
pea and mint tartlets
cherry tomatoes
olives

and an assortment of cakes for after?

I'd appreciate suggestions please.
As I said , it needs to be food which I can lay out, then go off for an hour then come back and just be ready to serve it.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Cheese puffs
Devilled eggs
Olive salad with pita wedges
(recipes available upon request)

Old 05-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have a recipe for cheese biscuits that work well. They can be frozen after baked and then set out at room temp. If you want the recipe, I'll find it and post it here later. We made these for my sister's wedding so they were made about 2-3 weeks ahead and you would have never guessed it! A southern US tradition of ham biscuits is another idea. It is dinner rolls (not buns) split in half with a slice of ham inserted. Tradition states it should be cured or smoked ham but any ham coldcut will work. These are good and substantial without being hugh sandwiches.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Yes please to both of you for the recipes. Thanks very much.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I have a recipe for cheese biscuits that work well. They can be frozen after baked and then set out at room temp. If you want the recipe, I'll find it and post it here later. We made these for my sister's wedding so they were made about 2-3 weeks ahead and you would have never guessed it! A southern US tradition of ham biscuits is another idea. It is dinner rolls (not buns) split in half with a slice of ham inserted. Tradition states it should be cured or smoked ham but any ham coldcut will work. These are good and substantial without being hugh sandwiches.
I'm wondering if those are what are called 'bridge rolls' in the UK? Oval in shape and slightly smaller than normal round rolls?
I was going to get a decent sized piece of unsmoked gammom and cook that for cold meat. In addition we have the most enormous chicken sitting in the freezer which a colleague of DH gave us and it's simply too large to use for just the 2 of us. I was keeping it for when we have friends to dinner but this occasion would do instead.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Cheese Puffs

3/4 C Water
1/2 tsp Salt
6 Tb Unsalted Butter
3/4 C All Purpose Flour
4 Eggs
1 1/2 Tb Chopped Fresh Thyme
1 C Grated Cheddar

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Put the water, salt and butter into a 2-3 quart sauce pan, bring to a boil.

Add the flour all at once and beat vigorously, still on the heat, with a stiff whisk or wooden spoon until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat.

Beat the eggs into the dough one at a time using a food processor, electric mixer or a spoon/whisk. Mix in the thyme and half of the cheese.

Spoon or pipe teaspoon amounts of the dough 1" apart onto parchment covered cookie sheets. Top each with a pinch of the remaining cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

If you like, you can freeze the uncooked dough on the cookie sheets and transfer them to a container for later use.

Olive Salad

10 Oz Green olives w/ pimento (283 gr.)
1 medium onion
1 C Chopped Parsley (200 ml)
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tb Lemon juice (15 ml)
2 1/2 Tb Tomato Paste (40 ml)

Rinse the olives under running water and drain.

Finely chop the onion, parsley and garlic in a food processor. Add the olives, lemon juice and tomato paste and pulse until the olives are in small pieces.

The best flavor results from making this the day before serving.

Devilled Eggs

12 Eggs
2/3 C Mayonnaise
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Olive Juice
S & P
6 Green Olives w/Pimento
Paprika

Hard boil and peel the eggs.

Slice them in half length-wise and remove the yolks.

Add the mayo, garlic powder, olive juice and salt and pepper to the yolks. Mash and mix thoroughly.

Fill the egg white halves with the yolk mixture, leaving each slightly mounded. Use a piping bag or plastic bag with the corner cut off to fill the eggs.

Slice the olives in half top to bottom.

Press an olive half into each egg half cut side up.

Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

Makes 24 devilled eggs
Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
csalt, one of the things that is always well received here is something called "Tortilla Pinwheels." They are easy to make and can be made ahead of time. They aren't costly and you can make a ton of them in no time. Here's a link to a recipe: Tortilla Pinwheels. You can find lots more recipes for them by Googling "tortilla pinwheels."
Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

csalt,
I make this Rotolo for the kids most holidays and they always ask for it for birthdays. It's easy..I just get frozen bread dough, let it rise, roll it out with a little flour on the board to a 12x16 rectangle depending on fi they want one like pizza or just meats and cheeses I go from there. My youngest son loves his like pizza, so after rolling to size, I brush with a good amount of a pizza sauce,(store bought) then I tear up salami and provolone and mozzarella cheese and a small amount of onions I've sauteed. I just layer all this over the bread dough, then sprinkle it with parmesan.Start at the long end and roll up tightly like a jelly roll. Pinch the ends to keep it from oozing, brush with egg wash and let sit for 20 min. Then bake at375 in preheated oven for25-30 min. Remove from oven, let sit to cool down a little then slice thin and serve.
This will make 24-26 slices cut thinly. And once the bread has risen it only takes about 10 min. to pull together...One nice thing about it is you can let your imagination go crazy with ideas.

kadesma
Old 05-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm a little worried about Andy's deviled eggs sitting around for about an hour before anyone eats them.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Mini quiches

I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks yummy, to me:
Crustless Carrot Mini-Quiches

Stuffed mushrooms

Shrimp platter on ice - Put a party pick through each shrimp

Deli & cheese platter - Serve with sliced french bread or mini rolls on the side

Crudite platter - celery sticks, carrot sticks, broc & cauliflower, cherry tomatoes & a dip or dressing i.e. Ranch etc.

Stuffed cherry tomatoes

Mozzarella sticks (breaded & fried) w marinara dipping sauce

Spinach dip in a hollowed out pumpernickle bread bowl.

Fruit kabobs - starwberry & diced mozzarella on party picks (Any combo of fruits & cheese)

Tea party sandwiches - i.e. cucumber, watercress, chicken salad, roast beef, cream cheese, tapenade, etc.

Egg rolls

Wontons

Crab Rangoon

Tortilla wraps

Cucumber bites - slice cukes about 2" long, hollow out the inside, fill with mousse, pate, chicken or tuna salad

Mini (cream) Cheese balls on party picks

I have a recipe somewhere for mini cornucopias, you can fill with chicken, tuna shrimp salad. Let me know if you are interested.

If I think of some more, I will post.