ISO help making breakfast for 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
My DW is having 15-20 of her nearest and dearest sorors over for the weekend, the first weekend of may. Food will be everywhere. I think they are coming for the vittles. In any case, several of these girls have had my waffles. Actually the fine cooking light crispy waffles. So now they want waffles. I am really thinking of making goodweeds pancakes saturday and the waffles sunday. Bacon both days and possibly eggs as well. Wife will probably make grits and gravy one day as well.

Right now I have 1 waffle maker, and one double burner griddle , 1 10" flat griddle, 1 14" pizza pan/griddle and 2 12" analon frying pans. Usually I make bacon on the double griddle in the oven, it will hold about 7-9 strips at a time. I bought the 2nd anolon pan knowing that I would want to do this one day and would use 1 pan for eggs and the other for pancakes.

Now my questions are

How would u keep enough waffles and bacon warm to serve 15 people at once without over cooking anything.

Do I really need another waffle iron? I am using the cusinart classic round, the one I have is close to 20 years old.(man it is weird to start thinking about when you got things and realize that decades have gone by)

I have been thinking of getting a new one anyway, and am pondering getting 2 at ounce, given my stash of Bed bath and beyond coupons, it wouldn't be too bad, on the other hand given the price of flour and have you seen the price of yeast lately?

Anyway... pancakes and eggs one day, waffles and eggs the next day, how would you cook it and keep it all warm?

Actually I would be safe and make a couple stratas or breakfast bakes. They can be assembled the day before and only bake an hour. You can put bacon, eggs, cheese all in them.
Or, go for a sweet french - toast type one.

First and foremost - you're a good person!!!!!!

Couldn't you keep the bacon and waffles warm in just a low oven - say 225-250? Personally, if I was eating waffles one would suffice, especially if it was cut in half and served "sandwich style" with granny smith apples and brie in the middle! These could be heating in the oven getting the cheese semi-melty and it wouldn't hurt the apples at all.

Do you know anyone you could borrow a waffle iron from? It really does sound like two would be better (hey, I'm just trying to help). ;)

I'd be more prone to go with an overnight French Toast then baked in the morning.

on the waffles...
most of my wifes sorors are single. The one who is married, was the one that started this whole waffle foolishness, "I'm coming to your house and he is making me waffles!" Now I could get up extra early and make waffles just for her, but I like being married to my current wife most of the time. I'm sure that feeling will change as the weekend draws near....
Now, how would u tell a house full of women, no waffles?

Having settled that :)

I guess the thing to do would be to pre-cook all the bacon and stow it in the stove at a low temp and then start making waffles, and just keep them all in the stove. I do for see another waffle iron.

Now, will good weeds pancakes stay as good in the oven for 30 mins or so?

I would probably skip the pancakes, and go with the overnight french toast idea. Also, with the bacon, I cook mine and let them cool on paper towel lined plates, blot them, then I put them in a ziploc bag and freeze them. There will be less mess the day you serve them, and they can be warmed in the oven while keeping the french toast warm.
I would place the french toast, eggs, bacon and toast on the table while cooking the waffles. By the time people are finished with the eggs, bacon etc. It will be time for waffles and you will have made enough for them, and maybe they will only eat half a waffle each b/c they will be somewhat full.

I also prep fruit (melon balls,strawberries), open a can of sliced peaches and put them in the dish they will be served in and refrigerate, whip cream, etc. the night before, so that the morning after they can just be taken out of the fridge and served with the waffles. Bananas, I slice the morning of for obvious reasons.

oh yeah, i forgot the best part

my wife has a tendancy to convince people that the way to eat Paul's waffles, as they are known is to
get 2 waffles, place strawberry slices in between, more strawberries on top, and then home made whipped cream on top of that.

Eat with bacon, grits, eggs and juice.
It's really a 2 plate person breakfest.

As far as me being nice, I generally go to these girls cities more than they come here, I am usually more or less broke when I get there, or at least I claim to be, and most of them don't cook as well as DW. Therefore I get taken out to eat.

2 good meals out= 1 waffle maker, w/o the coupon

french toast is a good idea... but will it leave as much of a " I wish I had a husband that can cook that well" impression on the ladies?

I will probably make the whipped cream, waffles and pancakes/french toast... DW will do the rest

i think its more impressive than pancakes, anyone can make pancakes!

have u had good weeds pancakes, they arent super hard, but they taste great and they take a little practice

Wow, sounds like your DWs friends can eat! I have the round cuisinart waffle maker too, and my friends will only eat half a waffle with eggs, bacon etc. or just one whole waffle. =)

but will it leave as much of a " I wish I had a husband that can cook that well" impression on the ladies?

You're kidding right? You'll need to watch your wife's back the whole time. I NEVER tell a group of women how wonderful my husband is - it's not good to "advertise" to people with fingernails who make hissing noises! :LOL:

This looks like a good recipe - and while you're at it you may want to take a look at these. Creme Brulee French Toast, Grand Marnier French Toast - oh please - these ladies will have to be shoved out the door at the end of the weekend! :LOL:

I guess we're all saying French Toast because of the quantity you have to make. We're just trying to make it easier on you.

ya know,
my mother in law told my wife not to advertise me
her aunts told her,too
and given some of the things that she has said in front of them, and then confirmed when questioned
those were some good women.
I have often said that she was going to introduce me to my second wife

But now, I am pretty much of the mindset...
I have enough problems with the wife I have to krrp me from trying to jump ship for greener grass. And I think she knows that. She says all the time that me cheating is not her big worry about me. She hasnt told me what the big worry is thou.

In any case the girls do like to eat. As time draws near, I may post what all she has to eat. I know there will be a seafood feast one day, with crabs fish, shrimps and something else with a pile of sides. The other day will probably be soul food with ribs and who knows what all else

You know, unless you want to be known for good waffles AND good pancakes, I would leave the pancakes alone!

"...current wife..." - LOL

Bacon cooks really well in the microwave too by the way.

I think you're going to have to roll the ladies out the door after the amount of food you are preparing. I must say, if I had that many women coming for a weekend, my DH would head for the hills until it was all over.

I would make crepes and fill with ricotta cheese that has been sweetened a little sugar
served with vanilla syrup and whipped cream you can keep these warm for a long time
in a 225 oven covered just my 2 cents

Well the big show is next week, I will post in between waves of washing dishes. Right now, well, my wife's great uncle was killed, last week and I am in the midst of hosting family for the funeral. Goodweeds Pancakes worked again!
My inlaws think I can cook, I have them fooled!

Wasn't FIL, it was my wife's great uncle. Yes it was tragic. He was an elderly man who lived in a third floor apartment on not the best side of DC. He was in the habit of leaving the outer door to the building open, so that friends and family could come and check on him, without he having to go up and down the steps. He was stabbed 6 times laying in his own bed. His wife came home to find him and his youngest child, 16 came in shortly afterwards. She had left him to go to cheer leading practice shortly before the crime took place.

In any case....

My advice....on this breakfest thing.... he he he I got out of it. The one young lady who was demanding, who asked that I make waffles couldn't come at the last minute. So they had eggs and bacon and cinnamon rolls and tea and coffee and potatoes, I guess hash browns.. and fruit about 4 kinds and I forget what else.

Wife is taking off today. I guess we will finish cleaning the mess.

Back
Top Bottom