"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
mix the appetizers: olives, feta cheese, hummus, baba ganoush etc, some flat bread, but also have some vegetables for dipping.
Excellent notion!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Moroccan "salads" are often made with grilled peppers, zucchini, onions, olive oil, etc.
Can't for the life of me remember where my Moroccan recipes are at the moment, but you could play around with it. They're very authentic!
Or if you decide to go with your carrot/zucchini - grill the veg first then slather in orange juice and olive oil.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I tested the menu Sunday - tried the carrots and zucchini - simply steamed with butter and white pepper - thinking I didn't want the side dish to fight with the spicy Chicken. But they were just not interesting and I overcooked the zucchini. bleh

The chicken dish has tomato salsa, honey, cinnamon, curry, cumin, garlic, raisins and will be served over couscous with garlic and onions... The family all liked the chicken but the side dish needs more jazz.

We'll be serving around 150... I'm thinking now of switching to a vegetable salad - and also like the sound of grilled (roasted?) peppers, zucchini, onions. Even the carrot/zucchini combo would probably be better grilled. What would you season those with for this menu? Serve at room temp?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Posted this in Member Photos today - wanted to say thanks again for the great ideas in this thread.
I switched the entrée to Moroccan Chicken with Potatoes and Olives and the side dish was a Tunisian Chopped Vegetable Salad.
Baklava for dessert.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #15
Master Chef

I know this is past but will chime in with there always should be some kind of flat bread in this time of meal. A good short cut is taboule (middle east makes a good easy one, especially if you add a lot of fresh parsley). But everyone's favorite in my set, to lighten it up, is some thinly sliced cucumbers in yogurt and mint. Mint tea is also good. The cukes can be sliced and left overnight, and the yogurt tossed on at the last minute. The mint is optional. But that tart flavor and cucumber light-ness will make the entire meal a little lighter. I make meals in this line often, albeit not for that many people!!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Thank you Claire! Actually, we did serve sesame seed flat bread (I meant to add that note) which we found at the local Mediterreanean grocer's. Tabbouleh was one of the appetizers, along with hummus, carrots, olives, dates, figs... served with pita crisps. The Tunisian Salad had the cucumbers (and peppers, and tomatoes and mint... and yogurt dressing).