"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #51
Master Chef
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I scaled back. We had hamburgers, veggie burgers, a whole lot of salads (coleslaw, pasta, bean salad 2 ways, potato salad, tossed salad [with kale, chard, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, nasturtium flowers, blueberries, radishes, green onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds, and blanched peas], cucumber salsa, Swedish cucumbers, corn salad, marinated tomato and cucumber salad), kimchee, hummus, and layered Mexican dip. Chocolate velvet cake with raspberries and blueberries, chocolate dipped bananas (for the kids). With 7 vegetarians, the only two things they could not eat were the kimchee and the hamburgers. All in all, it was a success. I still have stuff leftover (the Swedish Army did not show, but then it never does, even though I prepare enough as if the Swedish Army were invited). It was described as a smorgasbord--which is what it was--but then that is the only way I seem to be able to do this kind of thing. The wine etc. was a hit. Thanks TL for your part in this!
What? The cute little chick deviled eggs missed the party?? Did the girls notice?

ISO menu ideas for 50th birthday

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #52
CWS, the chicken picture is awesome! I'm so glad that your party was a success.

Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The party was a huge success. Of course, I have leftover food (no cake leftover, thankfully!). The guests all had a great time and I had two great helpers in the kitchen, they even did the dishes so I didn't have all that clean up. The only complaint was from the guest of honour "You could've skipped the happy birthday table cloths."

With all the activity going on, forgot to take pics of the food, but did get one of Myrtle and one of the young guests:

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What? The cute little chick deviled eggs missed the party?? Did the girls notice?

ISO menu ideas for 50th birthday
The eggs were ready to make up, the cook ran out of time. The girls were supposed to be locked up for the day, but I got outvoted so the girls were also in attendance (and provided entertainment for the guests). I don't think they missed the cute chick deviled eggs. Another time when I am not so pressed for time (outdoor parties also include cleaning not just the house, but the yard--mowing, etc.).

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote

menu, menu ideas