ISO menu ideas for 50th birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you eliminate the beef and the ribs you fix a lot of the problems. Forget about the fries and eliminate some last minute frantic work unless your version of fries means raw slender pieces of veggies. Make up your mind, green salad or slaw, one is enough. You did not mention how many people, but I always have better luck with plenty of a few tasty dishes rather than a many, many dishes that people can't make up their minds if they want to try it or not. So what if they miss a perfectly balance meal once that week? The main thing is to have a fun party.

There will be lots of veggies (hopefully) from the garden. Raspberries will be in season here, so those will be added. I like the idea of pineapple--good with chicken and shrimp. All that is missing from the guest list is someone with diabetes and another with gluten intolerance! Oh, and a vegan, instead of vegetarian. And, someone who keeps a Kosher kitchen.

:LOL::LOL: Charlie D and I will be there. Diabetic and Kosher kitchen taken care of. :angel:

I don't get it? Many guests and you are catering to 3 people? Cook for everyone and do something for the 3 who are killing it for everyone else. Fish and salad, you can't go wrong. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but really? Why put you through this for 3 people?

Last edited:
I don't get it? Many guests and you are catering to 3 people? Cook for everyone and do something for the 3 who are killing it for everyone else. Fish and salad, you can't go wrong. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but really? Why put you through this for 3 people?

In the end you are right S&P. I grow very tired of "guests" who expect favored treatment because of personal restrictions in their diet. As long as a little something is provided for them, they can eat what they choose when they get back in their own home. They won't starve.

In the end you are right S&P. I grow very tired of "guests" who expect favored treatment because of personal restrictions in their diet. As long as a little something is provided for them, they can eat what they choose when they get back in their own home. They won't starve.
Well, thank you Kayelle. I was thinking that I might have been mean. After all I meant to be! Why cater to a few? It's a party dam it!

She said there are 7 people with 'restrictions', and they made up more than half of the group. Nobody's 'killing it' for anybody.

I completely understand her wish to make her guests comfortable - I would do the same. Many of us see cooking for friends as a gift we give from the heart, and we try to give a gift that they would like.

Andy, I'd love to see the recipe for that olive salad. Care to share?

Last edited:
When I hear someone doesn't eat that because.... My advice to them is, "then don't eat it." Find something else. :angel:

This doesn't sound like it's a sit-down dinner with a specific menu. It shouldn't be hard to provide a few dishes for those who have dietary restrictions. It's just common courtesy, if you are aware of the restrictions. After all, you INVITED these people.

I find that most people will eat the things they want and not comment on the rest. That is the polite thing to do. I never tell a host that I don't like something or even that I can't eat it. Just "Thank you, I don't care for any." If they insist, I have them wrap it up for me to take home.

She said there are 7 people with 'restrictions', and they made up more than half of the group. Nobody's 'killing it' for anybody.

I completely understand her wish to make her guests comfortable - I would do the same. Many of us see cooking for friends as a gift we give from the heart, and we try to give a gift that they would like.

Andy, I'd love to see the recipe for that olive salad. Care to share?
Next Sunday is the day. I have changed the menu--going with lamb sliders, beef sliders, paneer kabobs, grilled veggies, salads. I may change the menu again, who knows. The desserts will be made on Saturday. I am "between contracts" next week so will be making the buns on Saturday as well. The veggies and salads will be done Friday. I will grind the meats on Friday as well.

It is a very informal affair. I am not CATERING to my guests, I invited them. I can fly any which way in the kitchen. These are all people who I have cooked for many times, just not all at the same time. But, I am going to make those deviled eggs (day before). Are those slices of bacon on the plate in the picture? Maybe veggie sticks instead...

You could add veggie burgers (I like Boca Burgers) for a vegetarian slider option. With the sliders, you could also have romaine lettuce to wrap the burgers for a gluten-free, low-carb, paleo option. :)

Since you are grilling veggies, consider grilling thick pineapple slices! They are so good!

Yeah.....girls jus wanna have fun too..
img_1374351_0_e1afe80036b0dfdd50f95d9b2c1a2b3a.jpg

Yup, it's bacon. What about making a "nest" of cole slaw?

The party was a huge success. Of course, I have leftover food (no cake leftover, thankfully!). The guests all had a great time and I had two great helpers in the kitchen, they even did the dishes so I didn't have all that clean up. The only complaint was from the guest of honour "You could've skipped the happy birthday table cloths."

With all the activity going on, forgot to take pics of the food, but did get one of Myrtle and one of the young guests:

Attachments

• Nanik_and_Myrtle.jpg
    Nanik_and_Myrtle.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 189

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom