ISO menu ideas for 50th birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The party was a huge success. Of course, I have leftover food (no cake leftover, thankfully!). The guests all had a great time and I had two great helpers in the kitchen, they even did the dishes so I didn't have all that clean up. The only complaint was from the guest of honour "You could've skipped the happy birthday table cloths."

With all the activity going on, forgot to take pics of the food, but did get one of Myrtle and one of the young guests:

There is always one. I am so glad you invited Myrtle and the other girls. What is with her wing? It looks like sliced cold cuts.

There is always one. I am so glad you invited Myrtle and the other girls. What is with her wing? It looks like sliced cold cuts.
She was using her wing for balance...she was on his shoulder, and then hopped up to his head...his eyes were the size of saucers, he didn't quite know how to react...yes, the girls (and Stripey and Redson) were in the backyard--a lot of conversation centered around the chickens as the guests got to know one another. Being that the DH and I were the only two who knew everyone and the mix of guests was eclectic, having lawn games (modified version of cricket and croquet), young (and old guests), and chickens, as well as nametags, helped people get acquainted. Several guests are introverts, so I didn't want people sitting around in awkward silence waiting for the food to hit the table.

She was using her wing for balance...she was on his shoulder, and then hopped up to his head...his eyes were the size of saucers, he didn't quite know how to react...yes, the girls (and Stripey and Redson) were in the backyard--a lot of conversation centered around the chickens as the guests got to know one another. Being that the DH and I were the only two who knew everyone and the mix of guests was eclectic, having lawn games (modified version of cricket and croquet), young (and old guests), and chickens, as well as nametags, helped people get acquainted. Several guests are introverts, so I didn't want people sitting around in awkward silence waiting for the food to hit the table.

I loved playing croquet as a kid. Sounds like a fun day. :angel:

So, what did you finally have as a menu?
I scaled back. We had hamburgers, veggie burgers, a whole lot of salads (coleslaw, pasta, bean salad 2 ways, potato salad, tossed salad [with kale, chard, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, nasturtium flowers, blueberries, radishes, green onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds, and blanched peas], cucumber salsa, Swedish cucumbers, corn salad, marinated tomato and cucumber salad), kimchee, hummus, and layered Mexican dip. Chocolate velvet cake with raspberries and blueberries, chocolate dipped bananas (for the kids). With 7 vegetarians, the only two things they could not eat were the kimchee and the hamburgers. All in all, it was a success. I still have stuff leftover (the Swedish Army did not show, but then it never does, even though I prepare enough as if the Swedish Army were invited). It was described as a smorgasbord--which is what it was--but then that is the only way I seem to be able to do this kind of thing. The wine etc. was a hit. Thanks TL for your part in this!

I loved playing croquet as a kid. Sounds like a fun day. :angel:
Ditto. It was a fun day. I also had prizes for the winners of the games--they could pick the charity to which they wished to make a $20 donation--my version of pin-the-tail on the donkey--only it was pick the charity on which to pin the $20 bill.

Last edited:
Ditto. It was a fun day. I also had prizes for the winners of the games--they could pick the charity to which they wished to make a $20 donation--my version of pin-the-tail on the donkey--only it was pick the charity on which to pin the $20 bill.

I would have had to pin on any charity that feeds our children right here at home. I can't stand the thought of a child going to bed hungry. :angel:

Glad to hear the party was a rousing success CW. Not that any of us had any doubt. And at least your one complaint was from the Birthday Boy. If anyone had a right to complain I suppose it was him. After all the work you put in he wasn't entitled to complain. Kick his shin for me, will you? :LOL:

Glad to hear the party was a rousing success CW. Not that any of us had any doubt. And at least your one complaint was from the Birthday Boy. If anyone had a right to complain I suppose it was him. After all the work you put in he wasn't entitled to complain. Kick his shin for me, will you? :LOL:
I did kick him in the shin when he complained about the tablecloths. He's just lucky I didn't make him wear a party hat or blow a little tooty-toot horn.

I scaled back. We had hamburgers, veggie burgers, a whole lot of salads (coleslaw, pasta, bean salad 2 ways, potato salad, tossed salad [with kale, chard, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, nasturtium flowers, blueberries, radishes, green onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds, and blanched peas], cucumber salsa, Swedish cucumbers, corn salad, marinated tomato and cucumber salad), kimchee, hummus, and layered Mexican dip. Chocolate velvet cake with raspberries and blueberries, chocolate dipped bananas (for the kids). With 7 vegetarians, the only two things they could not eat were the kimchee and the hamburgers. All in all, it was a success. I still have stuff leftover (the Swedish Army did not show, but then it never does, even though I prepare enough as if the Swedish Army were invited). It was described as a smorgasbord--which is what it was--but then that is the only way I seem to be able to do this kind of thing. The wine etc. was a hit. Thanks TL for your part in this!

:w00t2:What? The cute little chick deviled eggs missed the party?? Did the girls notice?

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/iso-menu-ideas-for-50th-birthday-89894-2.html#post1365086

CWS, the chicken picture is awesome! I'm so glad that your party was a success. :)

The party was a huge success. Of course, I have leftover food (no cake leftover, thankfully!). The guests all had a great time and I had two great helpers in the kitchen, they even did the dishes so I didn't have all that clean up. The only complaint was from the guest of honour "You could've skipped the happy birthday table cloths."

With all the activity going on, forgot to take pics of the food, but did get one of Myrtle and one of the young guests:

:w00t2:What? The cute little chick deviled eggs missed the party?? Did the girls notice?

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/iso-menu-ideas-for-50th-birthday-89894-2.html#post1365086
The eggs were ready to make up, the cook ran out of time. The girls were supposed to be locked up for the day, but I got outvoted so the girls were also in attendance (and provided entertainment for the guests). I don't think they missed the cute chick deviled eggs.:) Another time when I am not so pressed for time (outdoor parties also include cleaning not just the house, but the yard--mowing, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom