ISO ways to make my Thanksgiving menu a little more special.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I love traditional Thanksgiving food, but I am looking for a way to make things a little more special. What do you do to make your thanksgiving recipes a little more interesting?

I don't strive for interesting so much as I aim for best ever. I cook a traditional menu based on what I grew up eating. Of course, I make too many different foods but it always seems to get eaten.

You might try to add a different "new" dish to the menu each year in addition to or to replace one the traditional dishes.

If I could scare up enough family for a big Thanksgiving dinner, I'd make a turducken.

I do just about what Andy described, but usually try to add a "twist" to some of the traditional dishes, most usually some of the sides so as not to sacrifice everyone's anticipated traditional expectations.

I like to play with sweet potato and cranberry dishes and, as a result, have quite an assortment of variations for those.

One of my favorite ways to make my meal/menu more special is presentation and decor. Many years ago I was given a clear glass turkey-shaped lidded serving bowl (holds about 1 1/2 cups). I served my cranberry offering in it and, now, everyone expects to see it on the table. I've already been asked by one of my new family members if I'm going to have it on the table this year. Guess it made an impression on them last year.

Anyway, I think presentation goes a long way to making any menu special. We're having the big family meal at our house this year. The first one I'll prepare for my new family so I'm going to pull out all the stops and I'm really excited about it. Plus, I've never done this before because I've never had family close enough to be around for major holidays and I can't wait.

I would pick a cuisine that you don't eat everyday and try to bend the meal to fit into that.You can still use traditinal ingredients but also some non-traditional ones as well.

Asian
Mexican
Italian
etc.

I agree that while outstanding food is a must, presentation with some thought and detail put into it is also a must to make it truly special! I set a really beautiful table and try to make all my dishes that complement each other in some way. I know my extended family all think I'm "over the top" but I believe "God is in the details" and it is how I show my love.

When I prepare the Thanksgiving meal, my idea of perfection is for it to be like my mom's always was. We have always had a fairly plain but abundant menu, with the same foods every year. Sometimes in addition to the traditional pumpkin pie, the other pies might change, but that's pretty much it. My mom loved trying new things, and so do I, but Thanksgiving was not one we played around with much. Although it was never really voiced, Thanksgiving (for us) has always been about stability and family ties, and knowing that some things never change. Let the whole year be wild and unpredictable, but that one day when we know what to expect is something to be thankful for. :cool:

:)Barbara

If you are having outside guests, you could always ask them if there is a dish that they love, something from their family's traditions. This is what I do on Thanksgiving. When the family is here for Christmas, we cook our own special side dishes, and some from our family's traditions, like my grandmother's pork stuffing, she is no longer with us, but we feel closer to her with that dish on the table.

If you are having outside guests, you could always ask them if there is a dish that they love, something from their family's traditions. This is what I do on Thanksgiving. When the family is here for Christmas, we cook our own special side dishes, and some from our family's traditions, like my grandmother's pork stuffing, she is no longer with us, but we feel closer to her with that dish on the table.
Good idea. I remember when a vegetarian friend of ours came for a few Thanksgiving dinners, my mom always cooked the things we usually ate, but she added things that he liked.

Good idea. I remember when a vegetarian friend of ours came for a few Thanksgiving dinners, my mom always cooked the things we usually ate, but she added things that he liked.

When I first moved away, I was invited to co-worker's homes for Thanksgiving, it was nice, but it wasn't the same. I figure that if I can put something familiar on the table for my guests that they will feel more at "home". The different dishes usually become part of the conversation and we all reminisce about holidays growing up.

If the guest likes to cook, then I let them make the dish and bring it.

Kids often feel like an afterthought at Thanksgiving. If there is a separate kids table you might take pains to decorate it just for them. Also individual dishes such as little pumkin pies are always a hit. If you really wanted to go the extra mile for the little crumb snatchers you could do individual rock cornish game hens. Just a thought.

what a sweet idea for the kids. the current crop of great grandchildren are to young to sit at a table alone. but will certainly keep it in mind. gotta have a dish of olives , for putting on the fingers, of course.

what a sweet idea for the kids. the current crop of great grandchildren are to young to sit at a table alone. but will certainly keep it in mind. gotta have a dish of olives , for putting on the fingers, of course.

Do kids do that?:angel:

mine did as did all their cousins. my grandchildren did it. and my four year old great granddaughter does it. seems to be a family tradition.:LOL::LOL:

We all did, too. We would try to find the biggest ones so Dad could play!:LOL:

i'm 6 feet tall, roughly 230 pounds, and i still have to sit on the little fold up chairs at the kids table. that's what you get when you're the last of 6 kids. :(

the good part, though, is getting to teach all of the nieces and nephews, ranging in age from 6 to 28, how to steal uncle dickie's pumpkin pie, or tease aunt claire until she gets upset, or otherwise play with their food to make things fun.

i think i'll have to introduce the finger olives this year. :-p

back on topic: we have the traditional meal every year, so the only thing that ends up being special is who gets the honour of saying grace, and what everyone adds on to the end of the standard prayer, followed by my dad.

btw, ours is "bless us oh lord for these thy gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty, through christ our lord, amen... and may god bless you and keep you, may he let his face shine upon you and be gracious to you, and may he look upon you kindly and give you peace"

then, everyone so inclined gets to add what they are thankful for, with my dad wrapping things up.

amen. :)

Back
Top Bottom