"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix--it depends on the type of WR he is using. IF he's using a blend with cultivated, the cultivated will never pop. If he's using hand-parched, it takes the same time as white rice. If he's using machine parched, then the time can be anywhere from 50-65 minutes. I like mine so most of the is WR popped, even if reheating. And, I reheat in the microwave with a bit of butter and water, covered. Charlie since you don't like WR or cook it often, maybe you should "test cook" a cup and then make adjustments. Of course, they also sell #10 cans of pre-cooked WR in MN...

Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Wild rice can be tricky. Plus its not actually rice.

Seems like a pain to cook real rice separately and add in, but the cooking times would be quite different.
That's why I would cook two separate batches, then blend when both done. You will probably need two pans anyway. So, just leave one in longer. The white rice will come out earlier and stay plenty warm until the wild rice is ready.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

At $10/lb retail, it runs $1.00/serving if one calculates 10 servings/lb (I've seen it advertised wholesale in MN for about 30% less than that). The beauty of it is that it is gluten free, and I'd definitely try to keep it gluten free as a side. If one cuts it 3:1 with brown rice (which takes about the same time as wr to cook), the cost is under $1.00. Native Minnesotans are very fond of their wild rice and nothing says "special" quite like wild rice instead of a white rice dish.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The key is you want to rinse it well in warm water. I'd go with natural that was hand parched. It will take less time to cook than wild rice that was machine parched or cultivated. And, I'd stay away from cultivated if this if for native Minnesotans <g>. I posted a wild rice pilaf recipe last year. It would be an awesome dish rather than plain wild rice. You can make the pilaf ahead and then reheat as Alix suggested. I usually add more water and butter when reheating.

Sometimes it needs more than 1:3, sometimes it takes 65 minutes before it "pops" and turns itself inside out. Cultivated doesn't do that. I assume you know of a wholesaler who will supply the amount of natural wild rice needed.
Can you post a link to the recipe CWS? I can't seem to find it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Master Chef

It seems the good start would be to go to the supplier and see what kind of WR they have. I do think I have mix regular rice and WR, as that is what I have seen in reataurants before. So that was in the plan to begin with. I like the oven idea, becasue I will have a comercial convection oven available.
Ok. I like the sugestions so far, and it doesn't seem to complicated. i will repeort back after visiting the store to see what they have.
Thank you everybody.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I Love a Search Engine that Works !!! I typed in "wild rice pilaf" and it brought up CWS's WR that she says she posted last year. Voila'

I am bringing a wild rice dish for family Christmas dinner. I am thinking it will be a wild rice salad and do plan to cook the wild rice the day before. I haven't done this before, but I expect to add some of the dressing or just olive oil to keep it from clumping/ sticking together. I hope this will work. I don't know.

I think wild rice doesn't stick in the same way white rice does, since it doesn't have the same properties.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

I actually did search here before I posted. But cooking 150, I just really need something simple.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That is exactly why i am asking you. I have not a slitest clue.

You tell me what to do and I will do it. Somebody else mention to me that I should mix regular rice and wild together. If you think I should pre-cook it, so it will be. I can warm it up then.
No, no, no!, Charlie. If you have to cook for 150 (!) people, don't make something you've never made before. Wild rice is expensive and not like regular rice to cook. Unless you already know how to handle it, don't do it. Try to stick to tried & true.

Is there a theme here? Are you cooking a whole dinner, or just parts? Enlighten us so we can help you.{{{{{XOXO}}}}}}

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara

No, no, no!, Charlie. If you have to cook for 150 (!) people, don't make something you've never made before. Wild rice is expensive and not like regular rice to cook. Unless you already know how to handle it, don't do it. Try to stick to tried & true.

Is there a theme here? Are you cooking a whole dinner, or just parts? Enlighten us so we can help you.{{{{{XOXO}}}}}}
+1! I agree, cooking something you dislike, and have never made before, equals disaster, Charlie!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I actually did search here before I posted. But cooking 150, I just really need something simple.
I don't think it is going to get much simpler than that pilaf recipe I gave you. I would go a few days early and check out the equipment you are going to be working with and write down a schedule of tasks and what order you are going to be doing them in. Have a look at work surfaces you can use to place things on and hold until you need them etc. You should really plan the logistics out also. Will save you time and make things flow easier......

Tags
rice