ISO wild rice for 150?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would do a test run for making wild rice and have a plan B if you don't like the results, think it is too fussy. Wild rice flour is available in MN--might make a wild rice roll and serve something with that...or...

I would do a test run for making wild rice and have a plan B if you don't like the results, think it is too fussy. Wild rice flour is available in MN--might make a wild rice roll and serve something with that...or...

I agree. I thought about it today, and the Lundgren's wild rice with mixed brown rices isn't hard to make, but it is time consuming. 50 minutes cooking, 10 resting.

It's not cheap. Maybe you could make it with added white rice?

Charlie, if you have access to a burner for all that time, maybe it's not such a bad idea. It certainly is fancy, and really easy.

For 150 people though, Without doing the math, I still know that's a chunk of money.

I'd give you proportions, but I'm out right now. *adding wild rice to grocery list*

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for the link CWS. Do you find that it all cooks evenly in the same amount of time?

If so, that would be a great recipe for you to use Charlie. I assume it can be done in big pans in the oven.

Hmmm...I like my natural wild rice popped (oh--this looks like worms! a friend's son said). So, this blend makes a really nice side cooked as indicated. I guess, for me, the guest of honor in this mix is the wr and the others are invitees, so I'm more interested in how the wr cooks, and when it is done to the way I like it, the blend is done. I don't use cultivated (which is, I suspect, the type of wr in the blends--Lundgren's, Uncle Ben's, etc.) and don't know how it would work with cultivated. But yes, I find that everything turns out right. I would test it in the oven, but I assume it could be made in the oven (or a roaster oven in a baking dish). I always make it stove top.

Last edited:
I agree. I thought about it today, and the Lundgren's wild rice with mixed brown rices isn't hard to make, but it is time consuming. 50 minutes cooking, 10 resting.

It's not cheap. Maybe you could make it with added white rice?

Charlie, if you have access to a burner for all that time, maybe it's not such a bad idea. It certainly is fancy, and really easy.

For 150 people though, Without doing the math, I still know that's a chunk of money.

I'd give you proportions, but I'm out right now. *adding wild rice to grocery list*
Lundgren's has cultivated wr in it. It is not the same as natural wild rice. Online, I found a wholesaler in MN who sells natural wr for 6.75 per lb. It would be around $115 for 150 people figuring 1/2 c (cooked) per person if not cut with 1/3 white or brown rice. No one I know in MN eats wild rice without cutting in brown or white rice. I make my own blend--easy enough to do. The portion size for 1 lb of natural wild rice is 10 servings / lb.

Last edited:
Went to restaurant Depot, awesome place. They have this nice bag of mix wild rice, brown rice and some other rices. Actually pretty reasonable for wild rice. Like 18 0r 19 bucks. I will need about 4 or 5 of them, but it is still ok. Nice thing it has detailed recipe. I might just stick with it. Also I was told Costco sell wild rice mix. Will have to check that too.

The good news is that like you, not everyone likes wild rice. So many of your guests will take just a small serving or none, so a little will go a long way.

Once cooked, you could toss with raspberry vinaigrette, dried cranberries and sliced scallion. That eliminates having to reheat it.

Good luck.

Those would be so not Minnesota....sorry, cope out.

Well, you could always have some lutefisk pate on the side!

I was born in MPls and lived there as a kid and thought wild rice was the bomb. Thought every kid ate herring, wild rice and braunschweiger. Little did I know...,,

Well, you could always have some lutefisk pate on the side!

I was born in MPls and lived there as a kid and thought wild rice was the bomb. Thought every kid ate herring, wild rice and braunschweiger. Little did I know...,,

Everyone I knew did...thankfully, lutefisk baby food never caught on like the little jars of walleye...;)

The rice will be served as a side to chicken, so I will have to keep it warm, and since we are serving everybody are going tohave to have it on the plate. On one hand it is waist, on the other, it is a formal dinner and to have people walkt to the bufet table is just not going to be appropriate.

The rice will be served as a side to chicken, so I will have to keep it warm, and since we are serving everybody are going tohave to have it on the plate. On one hand it is waist, on the other, it is a formal dinner and to have people walkt to the bufet table is just not going to be appropriate.

Charlie,

You need to make sure that the rice mixture is held above 140 degrees.

Rice can harbor the bacillus bacteria and rice improperly held at lower temps can make people sick. Its happened to me ....:(

Bacillus cereus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rice as the matter of fact is worse than raw eggs.

Don't worry. It will be cooked in advanced and warmed up right before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom