It's almost Mardi Gras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Last year this time, Lou and I were packing for the Big Easy to actually participate in Mardi Gras and all it's ensuing festivities... This year, we're holding off our annual trip till April for the French Quarter Festival. This leaves a multitude of possibilities of ways for celebrating here, at home.

I'm working on a huge menu for work for 5 February, planning to include gumbos, po'boys, etouffes, fried green tomatoes and an exhibition station with bananas foster. Still working on the final details for that event...

At home, I'm planning a semi formal dinner for 8 on Saturday evening, and still working on the details of that menu. I'm looking at:

andouille and potato soup
then
prawn etouffe over fried eggplant
then
onion crusted rabbit with greens and grits, with tasso maques choux
then
bananas foster and bread pudding with bourbon sauce.

I have a great recipe for King Cake, too...and will give everyone slices to take home for breakfast. I'll be expecting honesty when it comes to who gets the baby..:ohmy:

We'll start the evening with sazeracs (I have real absinthe:angel:) and Pimm's cups. Wine for the courses has yet to be decided upon.

Anyone else planning any Mardi Gras celebrations?

Laissez le bon temps roulle!!!!!

I guess if I were to have a plan Mardi Gras it would be to somehow find a way to crash your party of 8 and make it 10!

Sounds fab!

Last year this time, Lou and I were packing for the Big Easy to actually participate in Mardi Gras and all it's ensuing festivities...

I have a great recipe for King Cake, too...and will give everyone slices to take home for breakfast. I'll be expecting honesty when it comes to who gets the baby..:ohmy:

Anyone else planning any Mardi Gras celebrations?

Laissez le bon temps roulle!!!!!

I remember, Vera. I still have the beads you sent me.

I'd love to have your king cake recipe. Can you either post it or send it to me via PM or email?

As for our plans, Buck and I will make our annual trip to our favorite New Orleans-style restaurant about 30 miles away. We'll enjoy lots of great food, crazy attire/decorations and wonderful live music. I can't wait.

That menu is just to die for Ma'am. I'm attending a large party and will be bringing a Crawfish Pie which I decorate by cutting holes in the crust and putting whole crawfish in the holes so it looks like they are crawling out.
My 'secret' ingredient has always been canned She Crab Soup which I'm having a hard time locating this year.

Absinthe! That's decadent! And Fun.

The survey is in from the gang....Saturday night before Mardi Gras it will be a pot of Seafood Gumbo, bread, and a platter of pralines. Miss blue I may get froggy and leap into your King Cake version as well!;)

The survey is in from the gang....Saturday night before Mardi Gras it will be a pot of Seafood Gumbo, bread, and a platter of pralines. Miss blue I may get froggy and leap into your King Cake version as well!;)

Sounds wonderfull!

Hey, any chance of you being in the quarter for April?

i was at home in new orleans this past weekend, and i spent saturday night at the parades in metairie.

it was cold & wet, but that didn't stop the crowds from partying.

i grew up with the whole deal; so it's not a big deal for me to say, "oh well, not in this weather."

Jazz Fest? Not on my to do list at the present...but I can't rule it out.

Not Jazz Fest, it's the French Quarter Festival...crowded, to be sure, but the crowds stay in the quarter instead of going out to the fairgrounds:ROFLMAO:

Hey Katie, Good for you! I'm bringing my recipe to work. My plan is to cajole the baker to make 6 cakes for me for Tuesday. My plan is to use the babies as bait...get the baby, we'll buy your next lunch...

VeraBlue said:
Not Jazz Fest, it's the French Quarter Festival...crowded, to be sure, but the crowds stay in the quarter instead of going out to the fairgrounds:ROFLMAO:

If I spent three days or so just in the 1/4 area... in very crowed conditions my next stop wouldn't be the fairgrounds either...more like Audubon Park!!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom