It's Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It'll just the the two of us this year, which means I won't go too crazy. We're hosting a family Christmas at our house this year and I'm saving my efforts for that.

Instead of a turkey I think I'll just roast a large chicken in the manner of a turkey and add sides Glenn prefers. It doesn't really matter to me. It's all good!!

Glenn and I talked about Thanksgiving last night and he's requested Cornish hens. He'd never had them until he met me and he just loves them. So, Cornish hens it will be.

I've never been to the website...just bought the chickens and turkeys, exceptional product!

I've never been to the website...just bought the chickens and turkeys, exceptional product!

Is there a native Hutterite population in MT, PF? I always thought they were only located in Canada. A Hutterite family stayed with my grandparents after being stranded during a ND blizzard.

PF, no offense to your Hutterite chickens. I looked them up as I didn't recognize the name.

However, I an annoyed that the site I visited among others, continually make reference to the fact that "...our chickens are hormone free!" or "We raise our chicken without the use of hormones." While these statements may be true, they imply that other chickens are raised using hormones so theirs are better. This is untrue as the USDA specifically prohibits the use of hormones in the raising of chickens.

I find the use of scare tactics like this an indication they are struggling to differentiate their product.

Rant over.

What could be better than Hutterite chicken with a side of buttered Amish egg noodles? :ROFLMAO:

Isa capon really much better than is a regular chicken?...
I think they are better. Ask the butcher at your grocery store. Sometimes they sell capons as "large chickens". Some people are thrown off by the label "capon" and won't buy it.
I think the story is that capons are older and therefore have a richer chicken flavor than the young birds we normally get when we buy chicken. i haven't tested that theory. I'd guess a capon would be tougher.
I agree that they have a richer chicken flavour. I find them juicier and more tender than chicken.

PF, no offense to your Hutterite chickens. I looked them up as I didn't recognize the name.

However, I an annoyed that the site I visited among others, continually make reference to the fact that "...our chickens are hormone free!" or "We raise our chicken without the use of hormones." While these statements may be true, they imply that other chickens are raised using hormones so theirs are better. This is untrue as the USDA specifically prohibits the use of hormones in the raising of chickens.

I find the use of scare tactics like this an indication they are struggling to differentiate their product.

Rant over.
I hear ya.

Maybe they are often asked if the birds are bigger because of hormone treatment.

Historically, capon is a neutered rooster - not any easy critter to neuter. But it was one way to get something tasty out of all those useless roosters, back in the days before commercial poultry suppliers offered sexed chicks ...

However actual capon is probably pretty rare these days as I doubt they bother to raise the superfluous rooster chicks. The ones that don't get sold as Easter chicks are undoubtedly killed right after hatching.

Last edited:
Probably just me for dinner this year. I'm thinking duck. They're so expensive, though - I could probably buy 2 on-sale turkeys for the price of one lonesome little frozen duck. BUT just think of the future fried potatoes done in rendered duck fat......

Hoot, I am going to try Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish with horseradish. I've heard Susan S. on NPR giving out her mother's recipe for it every Thanksgiving for more than a decade now, and always intend to make it but lose sight of it before the big day.

Is there a native Hutterite population in MT, PF? I always thought they were only located in Canada. A Hutterite family stayed with my grandparents after being stranded during a ND blizzard.

Yes. They sell butter, chickens and eggs all year, turkey's at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

The only think I do for Thanksgiving is to wonder where we will be going. The cook never cooks here on Thanksgiving in order that the cook is also thankful. Our choice is to go out, but there are many in the family that do not agree and insist the we come to their house.

I have a nice organic chicken in the freezer. I think we'll have that. It's just the two of us and Shreddy, the cat. We'll be celebrating a week from Monday 'cause we are in Canada. I'll probably stuff it. Still have to figure out sides.

Thanksgiving is / has been at a BIL's for years. Last year he wanted to grill hot dogs/ brats. Fine by some. He got out voted by his own household. But Really, if you want to grill, a turkey is less work than flipping burgers and dogs. But Really, it's as much as getting together with family. I think his lip is still bent he didn't get his way. But really, I need to remind him how good a Turkey Sandwich the next day is and he can Relax while his wife and daughters are out shopping. Or is that perhaps too scary a thought !

No matter which holiday, we have a large enough family, everyone volunteers to share their speciaty.

Christmas, on the other hand, is up for grabs this year. I know we ( meaning DxW) are one who vol'd to host. We'll see how plans for Christmas shapes up right about Thanksgiving time.

I haven't done bird day for over 25 years, since the last time, 3 days after giving birth to my son, when the horde descended, did not offer to help, but felt free to sit around and criticize the entire meal. I did do a bird day for my dad a couple of years before he died. The others were invited but cancelled at the last minute. Apparently they were ticked off that, acquiescing to my father's wishes, I made a ham instead of a turkey. So rather than one of them offering to bring a bird, they just got pissy and cancelled at the last minute for made-up reasons - but spread the word far and wide that the REAL reason was me "taking over" bird day, LOL! Like any of them had done a single holiday meal for the whole family since I quit doing them, or offered to do it that year, or even to bring something!

I figure he who pays, says. Also the 87 year old guy gets first choice. I don't care what it is - even if it's brats and hot dogs. He only had one or two bird days after that. And actually *I* paid for the whole thing (which they didn't even show up for) as they had bled him dry for the month already and he didn't even have grocery money. No one offered to so much as bring a couple cans of corn. And they STILL complained because when they showed up to take leftovers home, over the next few days, I hadn't made a pumpkin pie, just apple pie and chocolate chip cookies, LOL! How thoughtless and self-centered can you get? My dad didn't like pumpkin pie, hadn't asked for it, they didn't even show up for the day despite saying they would, and then they had the colossal gall to complain about the leftovers, ROFLMAO!

I haven't done bird day for over 25 years, since the last time, 3 days after giving birth to my son, when the horde descended, did not offer to help, but felt free to sit around and criticize the entire meal. I did do a bird day for my dad a couple of years before he died. The others were invited but cancelled at the last minute. Apparently they were ticked off that, acquiescing to my father's wishes, I made a ham instead of a turkey. So rather than one of them offering to bring a bird, they just got pissy and cancelled at the last minute for made-up reasons - but spread the word far and wide that the REAL reason was me "taking over" bird day, LOL! Like any of them had done a single holiday meal for the whole family since I quit doing them, or offered to do it that year, or even to bring something!

I figure he who pays, says. Also the 87 year old guy gets first choice. I don't care what it is - even if it's brats and hot dogs. He only had one or two bird days after that. And actually *I* paid for the whole thing (which they didn't even show up for) as they had bled him dry for the month already and he didn't even have grocery money. No one offered to so much as bring a couple cans of corn. And they STILL complained because when they showed up to take leftovers home, over the next few days, I hadn't made a pumpkin pie, just apple pie and chocolate chip cookies, LOL! How thoughtless and self-centered can you get? My dad didn't like pumpkin pie, hadn't asked for it, they didn't even show up for the day despite saying they would, and then they had the colossal gall to complain about the leftovers, ROFLMAO!

IMHO that's not family; that's leaches. I'd try to stay as far away from them as possible. The sad part is that we are supposed to love and forgive everyone. Sometimes, it's hard. But nowhere is it said that we have to hang out with them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom