"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
It'll just the the two of us this year, which means I won't go too crazy. We're hosting a family Christmas at our house this year and I'm saving my efforts for that.

Instead of a turkey I think I'll just roast a large chicken in the manner of a turkey and add sides Glenn prefers. It doesn't really matter to me. It's all good!!

Glenn and I talked about Thanksgiving last night and he's requested Cornish hens. He'd never had them until he met me and he just loves them. So, Cornish hens it will be.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've never been to the website...just bought the chickens and turkeys, exceptional product!

Old 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've never been to the website...just bought the chickens and turkeys, exceptional product!
Is there a native Hutterite population in MT, PF? I always thought they were only located in Canada. A Hutterite family stayed with my grandparents after being stranded during a ND blizzard.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I don't doubt their products are very good.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
PF, no offense to your Hutterite chickens. I looked them up as I didn't recognize the name.

However, I an annoyed that the site I visited among others, continually make reference to the fact that "...our chickens are hormone free!" or "We raise our chicken without the use of hormones." While these statements may be true, they imply that other chickens are raised using hormones so theirs are better. This is untrue as the USDA specifically prohibits the use of hormones in the raising of chickens.

I find the use of scare tactics like this an indication they are struggling to differentiate their product.

Rant over.
What could be better than Hutterite chicken with a side of buttered Amish egg noodles?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Isa capon really much better than is a regular chicken?...
I think they are better. Ask the butcher at your grocery store. Sometimes they sell capons as "large chickens". Some people are thrown off by the label "capon" and won't buy it.
Quote:
I think the story is that capons are older and therefore have a richer chicken flavor than the young birds we normally get when we buy chicken. i haven't tested that theory. I'd guess a capon would be tougher.
I agree that they have a richer chicken flavour. I find them juicier and more tender than chicken.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What could be better than Hutterite chicken with a side of buttered Amish egg noodles?
Sounds good to me.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
PF, no offense to your Hutterite chickens. I looked them up as I didn't recognize the name.

However, I an annoyed that the site I visited among others, continually make reference to the fact that "...our chickens are hormone free!" or "We raise our chicken without the use of hormones." While these statements may be true, they imply that other chickens are raised using hormones so theirs are better. This is untrue as the USDA specifically prohibits the use of hormones in the raising of chickens.

I find the use of scare tactics like this an indication they are struggling to differentiate their product.

Rant over.
I hear ya.

Maybe they are often asked if the birds are bigger because of hormone treatment.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Historically, capon is a neutered rooster - not any easy critter to neuter. But it was one way to get something tasty out of all those useless roosters, back in the days before commercial poultry suppliers offered sexed chicks ...

However actual capon is probably pretty rare these days as I doubt they bother to raise the superfluous rooster chicks. The ones that don't get sold as Easter chicks are undoubtedly killed right after hatching.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
Head Chef

Probably just me for dinner this year. I'm thinking duck. They're so expensive, though - I could probably buy 2 on-sale turkeys for the price of one lonesome little frozen duck. BUT just think of the future fried potatoes done in rendered duck fat......

Hoot, I am going to try Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish with horseradish. I've heard Susan S. on NPR giving out her mother's recipe for it every Thanksgiving for more than a decade now, and always intend to make it but lose sight of it before the big day.