"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
IMHO that's not family; that's leaches. I'd try to stay as far away from them as possible. The sad part is that we are supposed to love and forgive everyone. Sometimes, it's hard. But nowhere is it said that we have to hang out with them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Fer sure. Haven't had a thing to do with them since my dad died 4 years ago. I had very little to do with them for over 25 years before that.

The entire time I was caring for my dad - in my home - not one of them could be bothered to call. They just bitched that he didn't call THEM - seriously, who's responsible for keeping in touch, 40/50/60 year old children - or the nearly 90 year old guy with Alzheimer's? LOL!

I had standing orders from my dad to tell certain people he was asleep when they called, but I never had to, because THEY NEVER CALLED!

No worries. My son is my family. I have POAs and living will and whatnot all in place so if ever anything happens to me they won't get a foot in the door. Plus, he won't tell them anything anyway, LOL!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #42
Executive Chef

I have hosted every Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas since my MIL passed away 8 years ago. I think everyone is just so happy to have somewhere to go and not have to host. I have dropped hints to the younger generation and hope someone will give me this Thanksgiving off. I even offered to buy and cook the turkey if someone else will host and do the sides and dessert. What more can they ask?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
I haven't done bird day for over 25 years, since the last time, 3 days after giving birth to my son, when the horde descended, did not offer to help, but felt free to sit around and criticize the entire meal. I did do a bird day for my dad a couple of years before he died. The others were invited but cancelled at the last minute. Apparently they were ticked off that, acquiescing to my father's wishes, I made a ham instead of a turkey......
Sounds like the leaches didn't know they were coming over for Thanksgiving...sounds like they wouldn't know what to be thankful for if it hit them in the head.

FAMILY is happy to get together and would be happy with an assortment of five kinds of cereal. RELATIVES are the kind of people who did ^that^ to you. It's a blessing when you are actually related to your family, but if you have true friends with nowhere else to go have them come over for the day, each bringing something for the table.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

It was Christmas and I was two weeks past due with my fourth child. I had a houseful of company and I was out in the kitchen putting the dinner together. Right off the bedroom was a spare bedroom. I let out a yell for my sister to come help me and I just made it to the bed. She delivered my second son. My sister told my company that there would be a slight delay in dinner. I just had a boy. No one believed her. One of my guests passed out when he came into the room and saw this tiny bundle wrapped in newspaper. An hour later after the doctor left I was back out in the kitchen finishing the last touches on the dinner. I let them all sit down and I went to sleep.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 AM   #45
Master Chef

Addie, gives whole new meaning to the thread's title: It's Time.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, gives whole new meaning to the thread's title: It's Time.
I'm just hoping she roasted the right bundle... After all these years she finds out she raised a turkey...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm just hoping she roasted the right bundle... After all these years she finds out she raised a turkey...
Good one. Gave myself my own Christmas present.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
Senior Cook

If they'd had to wait for my delivery to be over, dinner would have been QUITE late - I was in labor for 36 hours, LOL! I needed a couple days to recover! I'm sure they STILL would have complained.

So true, there is family - and then there are relatives. If they coincide, count yourself lucky, LOL!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I was on the bus with a bunch of friends when I told this story. My girlfriend just made the remark, "Put another plate on the table, another guest just arrived." This set us all into such gales of raucous laughter, that the bus driver threw us all off. The dinner was a success though. Everyone was full by the time they left. And there were no leftovers, which ticked me off. I really didn't feel like cooking the next day. So I made a big pot of turkey noodle soup that lasted for a couple of days.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think the story is that capons are older and therefore have a richer chicken flavor than the young birds we normally get when we buy chicken. i haven't tested that theory. I'd guess a capon would be tougher.
If your capon is the same as ours it's a castrated (male) chicken (no, I don't know how you castrate a chicken) They are castrated to make them grow bigger faster. There was a fuss about 30 years ago over here about capons being chemically castrated (probably with oestrogen in the feed - I can't quite remember) and being dangerous to humans (human men in particular!) but I don't know if there was any truth in that.