"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

House full of grandkids and their parents, unmarried son is bringing fireworks, plus we will sit outside and watch several fireworks shows that are great. Our dinner or our snacks will be Bruschetta pomdoro with a dousing of Worchestershire and evoo, prosciutto wrapped melon bites,mushrooms stuffed with ham and herbs,creme fraise,pesto and anchovy canapes, pastry sticks twisted and then rolled in finely chopped ham or prosciutto and herbs parsley and basil,salt and pepper then baked, five spice almonds, Hot dogs or burgers or or or some sausage for a special place we like you name it they make it the kids want the apple or the hawiian watermelon, corn on the cob,eggplant strips, chips, that is it desserts will be ice cream
kades

Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
It was my mother's birthday as well. When I was a kid, dad would joke about how mom's birthday was such a big deal that the town put on a fireworks show to celebrate it.
When growing up, DH thought the fireworks and parades were all about his birthday too!

Actually, he still does think that...

Old 06-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure of the details at present, however it will include seasoned white oak and hickory for sure.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

not a clue, my daughter's bday is the eighth and mine the twelfth, so we usually kinda just lump the whole business altogether. probably at my son's. he is the one with the pool.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

We're going on vacation to Michigan around the first, so will probably be at my in-laws' for the holiday. They'll probably have the usual burgers, dogs, ribs, fries, potato salad, green salad, grilled corn, etc. Good stuff
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

it depends on when they shut down the streets, but i'm hoping to gather friends and family and head to my building on the west side in the city, just a few hundred feet from the barges on the hudson that will be shooting off nyc's fireworks. lol, if the right security guards are on duty, we can head to the roof to watch the fireworks, and maybe even fire up a small grill for burgers and dogs.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
P. Fiona,

Do you mean Blues as in Miles Davis and Billie Holiday ?

Sounds wonderful, especially with an array of A to Z baked goods to accompany the sounds of live music ? !

Have a lovely Sunday,
Ciao, Margi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I like the idea of some *Blues... There's a club here called Simply Blues. Havent been there in eons. Hmmm. There's an idea. Tell us about Bernice's Bakery.

Local Blues artists...I'm hoping Shrek can get an invite to play. Here's the notice for the Bernice's Bakery: Bernice's Bakery

And you can find all their goodies listed and described on the site as well.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
blues and bread--what a delightful pairing! :)
I kept trying to multi quote, Vit, but it wasn't working. This will be our first visit, just found out about it the other day.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Pool party and potluck at a friends house. I have a six pound pork shoulder and a fresh jug of Pepper Tree Plantation bbq sauce, so I'm making pulled pork for sandwiches, and creamy cole slaw, home made dressing with caraway seed. I don't intend to spend much time in the kitchen.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Our little town has a huge Independence Day celebration. There will be a parade , a street fair with lots of vendors, pony rides, etc. A car show and the biggest fireworks show in the area.
DH and I will help out at the car show (our car will be entered)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3968131907.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	14108. Not the best pic as the top is not down, but the only one I have on my iPhone which I am posting from :(

We will entertain 20 or so guests for dinner and fireworks viewing. We will be serving Smoky boneless country style BBQ ribs, the oft requested from scratch baked beans, old fashioned (mustard and egg) potato salad, coleslaw and garlic stuffed artisan bread. Iced tea, lemonade, homemade beer and wine. Either strawberry shortcake or the yummy looking "Glorious Red White and Blue Cake"from Epicurious.

Tags
bbq, chicken