"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Our little town has a huge Independence Day celebration. There will be a parade , a street fair with lots of vendors, pony rides, etc. A car show and the biggest fireworks show in the area.
DH and I will help out at the car show (our car will be entered)

Attachment 14108. Not the best pic as the top is not down, but the only one I have on my iPhone which I am posting from :(

We will entertain 20 or so guests for dinner and fireworks viewing. We will be serving Smoky boneless country style BBQ ribs, the oft requested from scratch baked beans, old fashioned (mustard and egg) potato salad, coleslaw and garlic stuffed artisan bread. Iced tea, lemonade, homemade beer and wine. Either strawberry shortcake or the yummy looking "Glorious Red White and Blue Cake"from Epicurious.
I want to go to your house!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #32
Master Chef

Since I responded to this line, the local vineyard drafted us to be in the parade on their Army surplus deuce and a half. So much for opting out of going to the parade!

Since it is supposed to be very hot, next step will be finding the closest eatery. May have friend with broken leg go find and anchor a table, since climbing aboard a 2 1/2 ton truck isn't in her immediate future! But finding a place in air conditioned luxury will be a priority

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire

I want to go to your house!
Claire you would be so welcome! I could have used your help in the kitchen tonight with all the food prep for tomorrow. DH did a great job of helping and we are ready! I think it's great that you will be on the parade "representing". Hope you find that air conditioning for afterward, I feel so bad for all of those who are sweltering in the heat, it was 55 again here yesterday......just weird, should be nicer the rest of the week tho.

Happy Independence Day to all the DC Americans!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #34
Executive Chef

london broil, potato salad w/ fresh herbs-sour cream dressing, corn tomatoes mixed beans (grn n yllw)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

My eldest is coming over after they watch the parade. I'm not cooking out, I'm cooking in. But we'll eat outside.

A little offbeat for a 4th of July meal but we're having sub sandwiches with meatballs or sausages or both with sauce and cheese, ranch potato salad with bacon, corn on the cob and ice cream sundaes in waffle cone bowls.

Beverages for all ages will be served.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Happy July 4th From Across The Atlantic

Buonasera To My Colleagues at D.C.,

Just a note to wish everyone a Happy July 4th and a wonderful day filled with dynamic company and a lovely lunch.

Ciao.
Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy 4th of July, everyone...time for picnics, BBQs, parades, and fireworks! Enjoy!

Something light--the temp has soared back up to 30C without the humidex. So...soaked some garbanzo beans, they are cooking now--walnut humus with homemade wholewheat pita pockets (those only take 5 minutes to bake, so that won't heat up the kitchen too much), some of the leftover "Shake 'em up" pasta salad to which I might add some crumbled bacon today, dolmadas (have some in the freezer), and homemade strawberry-pepper ice cream. I think that will hit the spot later today. And, a nice tall ice cold glass of homemade limeade made with lime seltzer and lime ice cubes.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Happy 4th of July to all who celebrate it.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
Master Chef

We had leftovers for lunch then we'll head to Williamsburg for a concert my son is playing (tuba in a community band). From Williamsburg we'll head to my sister's house. She's got the food all taken care of and I don't have to take anything! We'll do fireworks in her back yard.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Smoking some tri-tips to go with cole slaw, roasted corn on the cob, and smashed potatoes.

Tags
bbq, chicken