"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Roasted new potatoes, oven fried chicken breast, sauteed beet greens and steamed peas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
BBQ Chicken & Ribs, July 4th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
and the last of the watermelon. (Harry I finally finished it off! ) Will probably buy another one tomorrow. It was a very tasty meal, was happy with that!
@rock,droool!that chicken looks so good.love anything in crumbs,how do you "oven fry"?i usually just flour/egg/crumb/fry....really need to know!
@s&p....perfection!
@cheryl...keep me updated C!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #62
Executive Chef

I did a typical flour/wash/cornmeal coating with the chicken breast. Then I add a generous amount of olive oil to a pan, and place the pan of oil in a preheated oven(400). I let the oil heat up for about 3 or 4 minutes, then take it out and add the chicken so it starts to fry/sizzle. Then, I put it back in the oven. Depending on the size of the breasts I will flip them when the bottoms are nice and brown and finish them off. Usually takes about 30-40 minutes...Cornmeal can make a pretty hard crust, so I let it sit for a few minutes to let them soften up some.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
I did a typical flour/wash/cornmeal coating with the chicken breast. Then I add a generous amount of olive oil to a pan, and place the pan of oil in a preheated oven(400). I let the oil heat up for about 3 or 4 minutes, then take it out and add the chicken so it starts to fry/sizzle. Then, I put it back in the oven. Depending on the size of the breasts I will flip them when the bottoms are nice and brown and finish them off. Usually takes about 30-40 minutes...Cornmeal can make a pretty hard crust, so I let it sit for a few minutes to let them soften up some.
you're a star rock!! fine,medium or coarse cornmeal? what do you use for the wash? egg,milk or buttermilk?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
you're a star rock!! fine,medium or coarse cornmeal? what do you use for the wash? egg,milk or buttermilk?
Last night I used straight 10% coffee cream because we were almost out of milk, and fine cornmeal. I did a double breading, which means I put it back in the milk and cornmeal again, so the crust was pretty thick. I also seasoned the cornmeal with salt, and some bbq rub that I had done up in a bottle a while back. You could use whatever you want..

This chicken can be fairly dry if you leave it in too long. I like to serve mine with some kind of pickle or sauce. Last night I used a jarred garden antipasa, and some hot pickled eggplant to help it slide down better.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Last night I used straight 10% coffee cream because we were almost out of milk, and fine cornmeal. I did a double breading, which means I put it back in the milk and cornmeal again, so the crust was pretty thick. I also seasoned the cornmeal with salt, and some bbq rub that I had done up in a bottle a while back. You could use whatever you want..

This chicken can be fairly dry if you leave it in too long. I like to serve mine with some kind of pickle or sauce. Last night I used a jarred garden antipasa, and some hot pickled eggplant to help it slide down better.
fantastic! thanks rock
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #66
Head Chef

Greek salad skewers (feta, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, torn french bread, & vinaigrette dressing). Steak with chimichurri sauce, grilled corn on the cob with lime butter & grated parmesan cheese, red potato salad. Strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

Tags
bbq, chicken