"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Master Chef

Kim's going to fire up the smoker Sunday, and do a whole beef brisket, 12 racks of ribs, and a couple of 2 lb. "fatties". A fatty is a roll of pork sausage that's been rolled in Cajun (or your favorite) seasoning and smoked whole.
I'll put my Killer Baked Beans together in the speckled roaster for DH to cook on top of the smoker. I'm also making potato salad, using my regular recipe plus a packet of Italian dressing mix. We're buying slaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken, because theirs is pretty good and I am lazy. I like my Carolina Slaw better, but I can only do so much. Maybe I'll doctor it up a little.
We'll have assorted breads, condiments, pickles and sliced tomatoes on the side, and I have two people bringing desserts.
I invited most all of our friends, but it's a busy weekend, and you never know for sure who will show up. One girl, who has to work Sunday, is coming over for leftovers on Monday.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul and I have talked about roasting a whole lamb (yes, in a pit in the front yard) so much that one of our friends has decided to do it. We'll bring Greek green beans and pita and others will bring other Greek treats. It'll be a day of Feasting and lots of drinking. It's a dang good thing we all have Monday off to recover. Ozo and tequila make for one whacky head ache. lol!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
Senior Cook

What am I cooking? Nuthin!

We'll be at the Detroit Grand Prix eating whatever is available at concessions there... ya I know, bring a supply of Tums and Imodium ...

G
Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Constance, have you posted your baked bean recipe? If so, where might I find it? Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

We are going to a friend's for Labor Day, our contributions are chicken kabobs, veggie salad, and a dip of some sort but haven't decided yet. I'm hoping they will have ribs though...RIBS ARE MY ALL TIME FAVORITE FOOD EVER!!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #16
Head Chef

No clue what we are having. My friend has invited us over for Sunday, and she hasn't let me know what to bring. Note to self, call her today. Monday, our church is having a cook out and we may go to that.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Paul and I have talked about roasting a whole lamb (yes, in a pit in the front yard) so much that one of our friends has decided to do it. We'll bring Greek green beans and pita and others will bring other Greek treats. It'll be a day of Feasting and lots of drinking. It's a dang good thing we all have Monday off to recover. Ozo and tequila make for one whacky head ache. lol!
I see a spanokopita in your near future, yum. Can I come too? Sounds like an ozo-killer (quila). Sign me up for one of those. Can I have your recipe for the greek green beans? TIA
Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife

There you go Amy! Enjoy!!!!

Greek Beans and tomatoes

1 can green beans ( drained, I use home canned ones but you can use the store bought)

1 can tomatoes ( undrained, I use the home canned ones here too)
onions
garlic
olive oil
Salt, pepper, oregano and parsley

Sauté diced onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil until soft
add beans and tomatoes. Mix well. Add salt and pepper. Add spices either fresh or dried may be used.
Cook until liquid is almost gone.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

It's my birthday weekend and having friends over. Making Ina's salmon stuffed with onions and fennel.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

friday - working

saturday - working, then meeting dw and boy at one of her friend's houses for a pool party. the menu usually consists of a lot of chips and dips, grilled chicken and steak, and a ton o' booze.

sunday - either going down the shore, or to www.lomb.com

monday - working

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote