"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Large group catering

I am catering a luncheon after an adult bar/bat mitzvah in December. I am one of the participants, so everything needs to be done prior to the day of the event. I am planning for 150, but realistically we have no idea how many people might be there. I am planning on having 3 hot hors d'oeuvres along with 2 dips, some veggies, peta bread, and olives as appetizers and then the main part of the luncheon will be cold. Israeli salad, egg salad (for kids who might not want the more interesting items) whitefish salad, lox, bagels, two kinds of cream cheese, pasta salad, and Middle Eastern carrot salad. Dessert will be cookies, cake, and fruit salad.

My main question is how to plan for the lox. I know that not everyone likes it, and I was told to plan on 1# for 10 people. So, do you think that if I get 10# that should be sufficient along with everything else? If we run out, we run out. I know that 10# won't look chintzy, but I don't think I need to have enough to feed 150 people.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I have catered many bar mitzvahs and many Brises, and they always serve lox at a bris. I would go with 12lbs. Larger boards of lox come in 3lbs. With all the other food you should be good.

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

Is 10# means pounds? I'd go with what Dan says. Of course everything depends on how many people shows up and how much of the other stuff you are serving. Personally I like to err on the plus side, so I always get more than I need. Especially with lox, it freezes really well and can easily seat in the freezer for at least 6 months if not more. So it will not go to waste.

Also can I ask you a question why do you serve hot stuff first and cold stuff latter? And what hot hors d'oeuvres? Are you doing this on Shabbat or day after?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Answers

Yes, # means pounds. The reason for only having a few hot appetizers and nothing else hot is primarily for ease of set up and serving. The pancakes, savory kugel, and spanikopeta might be passed, or they may be in chafing dishes. This luncheon is not one where anyone will have responded so we truly don't know how many will be there. We are planning on a full sanctuary which is close to 200, but some won't stay for lunch. Unlike a "regular" bar/bat mitzvah, there won't be any entertainment afterwards, so our guests will eat and leave. I considered the textures, color, and of course flavors when I designed the menu. Also, since I am not available for last minute prep, ease of preparation also.

I thought by having only the 3 hot items that it would be easy for whatever staff we have to set up the buffet and have it completely ready when the service is over.

This is on Shabbat, but we are a Reform congregation, so heating up isn't a problem.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Belle,
I think you may want to rethink the amount. Even with your other food, 10# doesn't seem to be enough.I make gravlax several times a year, both at work at for gatherings at my home. When I make it for a party at home I usually make 5-6# and thats only for about 30-40 guests. Even if you bumped it up by a couple of # I think you could rest assured you would be ok. Just my opinion.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Okay, will do. Thanks. We can always freeze leftovers and/or send them home with the participants of the celebration.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Executive Chef

sounds like you have it all well in hand and 12# should do.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

PS: I realized that I said pancakes, I should have been more specific. They are small potato pancakes. It is the last day of Chanukah. Served with sour cream and my own home-made applesauce.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

Oh, you mean latkes.

Now, it doesn't matter what kind of congregation you are, we here really do not care.

I still do not understand why you serving hot first and cold latter, why not other way around? To me that would make more sence, also latkes with a side of lox are awesome.