Lighting a Dinner Table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
This is one of my favorite ways to add light and romance to a table. I purchased some snowflake floating candles last year. I put them in a huge triangular shape clear bowl that I found at a second-hand store. (It's actually a decorative salad/trifle-like bowl.) I've scattered red rose petals on a white table cloth, and silver stars on another occasion. You can buy little packets of stars at a fabric, hobby or craft shop.

Another candle idea - Purchase jeweled studs (they also come in packets), and press the jeweled studs intermittently around pillar candles. The flame will make them glow. Don't let the jewels burn.

Lighting a Dinner Table

The most flattering lighting for a table comes from above it. A classic way to achieve this is with a candelabra.
Floating candles are great, but remember the bigger the candle, the better it will float.

th_tip813_1a_d.jpg

To add flare to the floating candle centerpiece, add a mirrored charger underneath. You can also add some fake jewels to the bottom of the bowl. Pour in your water and float the candles. If you have cloudy water at your house, use bottled water.

You can make a smaller version of this with a small glass cereal bowl. Add a few petals from a nice flower for a finishing touch.

The next time you put together a bouquet for your centerpiece, put some small flashlights in the bottom. This will add some light in a very clever way.

When using low lighting, be sure to use a lot of it Low lighting is ideal for a brunch or luncheon.

Make a glass table look great by placing a canister light underneath it. Use a sheer tablecloth on the table to let the light inside.

Mish this center piece is similar to ones I did for a wedding...I put round mirrors under the bowls, I floated gardenias in the bowls and had tiny tea lights ringing the mirror, interspersed with that pretty maiden hair fern, then, several shakes of silver dust on and around the whole thing and at night it was so beautiful.

Nice Idea you've got going here Mish:)
kadesma

Will you marry me :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: j/k

Gardenias are MY FAVORITE!!! I was going to look for mirrored chargers, but now that I read your post I remembered I have a few round mirrors I keep my prisms on. Yippee. I'm going to try that. THANK YOU, kads. :)

Just remembered too - I have a circular (or make any shape you want) Ikea tea light holder. I'm going to get my bowl & see if it will fit around the base. BRB :LOL:

Last edited:
Mud, I bet clusters of them would look so pretty on the table. We could throw a beach/luau theme dinner party & place sea shells, star fish, flat pebbles, and little umbrellas (the ones that go into tropical drinks) around the table. I've seen the shells and pebbles in bags sold at craft/fabric/hobby shops. You've inspired me to try filling a big bowl with (layers of colored) sand, & putting a bunch of tea lights in. Thank you for your ideas.:)

I thought this was a lovely way to dress up a table that could be put together easily. Place netting (from a fabric store) over the table and clear string tiny Christmas lights under the center of the table - away from the netting. (The ones that have about 100 lights to a package.) I have a ficus? like tree at home, I might dress it up with lights too.

Wedding_romance.jpg

I like this for a simple fall buffet or table.

grp_hallow_Gourds.jpg
clear.gif

You Will Need
Assorted gourds, carnival squash, or miniature pumpkins
Pumpkin carving tools (a lid-cutter saw)
Sharp knife
Taper and votive candles

What to Do
1. Insert the knife into the center of the gourd near the stem. Be careful, as gourds are very hard. Wedge the knife back and forth a little until you have a slit of about an inch. Remove the knife.

2. Insert lid-cutter saw and gently and patiently saw -- with an up-and-down sawing motion, (don't try to slice) -- a circle in the center of the gourd. Don't push too hard or the saw can break. If this happens, try to finish the work with a grapefruit knife or apple corer. When the ends of the circle meet, remove the section of the gourd.

3. Drizzle a few drops of candle wax in the hole and insert a taper or votive candle as shown.

I haven't tried LED flickering candles. Leaves lots of room for imaginative settings. I especially liked this one. I'm off to look for feathers. :)

imagewrap2gw.jpg

If your table centerpiece calls for the soft glow of a candle, use LED flickering candles. These flameless alternatives to real candles are battery operated and safe to use indoors. They produce a realistic flicker and light that is nearly indistinguishable from a messy wax candle.

What a terrific idea, Mish. I've already seen some things I would be able to do.

For a very simple Fall table, I scatter assorted nuts in their shells and silk autumn leaves all over the center and do candles (usually pillars) . Not fancy, but very nice.

How gorgeous! All of them! I'm so inspired. Mish, just to add to yours, everyone remember that gardenias and magnolias bruise very easily (touch the white petals as little as possible) and have quite a frangrance (may not mix with some foods). They're favorites of mine, but I prefer them outside of a small dining room if you're trying to reproduce the effect at home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom