"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
Wine Guy

I think I'd rather have the cod than the cake myself.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
Master Chef

Lunch menu for birthday party

I'm with you on that one. I have not had cod in ages. Cannot get it kosher here in town. And I love cod.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm with you on that one. I have not had cod in ages. Cannot get it kosher here in town. And I love cod.

Charlie, other than gutting the Cod which is done right on the fishing boat, if you are able to buy a whole Cod with the head on, could you take that to a Rabbi and have it considered Kosher? Or is it the equipment that is used on the boat and to gut it also have to be declared Kosher? From experience I can tell you that each man has their own knife for gutting and a hook and rake is used as the men sit on the deck to pull the pile of fish toward them so they can just reach down and pick up a fish. Once they are gutted the basket is lowered below deck and iced down. When they get into port, the men lump (unload) the catch from the hold with pitchforks and tossed onto the conveyor belt to the processor plant.

One more thing. Any lobsters that are caught in the nets, are also placed in the hold with the fish after their claws are banded. I do know lobsters are definitely not Kosher. Lobsters are considered trash catch and the crew divide them to take home.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Master Chef

If fish in the store has scales then it is kosher, even if it is a fillet and there is no head and you don't even know what fish it is. It doesn't matter how it was gutted. Rabbi has nothing to do with it. If fish is completely filleted(sp?) then the proper supervision required. And then it would have kosher symbol and would sealed and bagged under said supervision.

It is much more complicated with meats

Old 02-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If fish in the store has scales then it is kosher, even if it is a fillet and there is no head and you don't even know what fish it is. It doesn't matter how it was gutted. Rabbi has nothing to do with it. If fish is completely filleted(sp?) then the proper supervision required. And then it would have kosher symbol and would sealed and bagged under said supervision.

It is much more complicated with meats

I knew about the scales and gills requirement. I just thought that the process for meat may apply to fish also. I am also aware of the requirements for the meat processing.

Charlie I have a story for you in your private messages. Give me a chance to post it. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry View Post
Hi guys !
Sorry to be a little bit late. Everybody gave ideas about the menu but nobody talked about the birthday cake. A birthday without a cake is not a birthday. Whatever your age, you’ll be deeply disappointed if the cake is missing. Fortunately, here I am
I am a pastry lover and I have an original cake receipt for you. Here is the link: BBC Good Food | Recipes and cooking tips
Hi Carry,

You're perfectly right, the link you gave was a precious help. Everything was perfect and my little boy was in seventh heaven Thanks.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I think I'd rather have the cod than the cake myself.
Are talking about fish cakes made with cod, potatoes, onion, butter, and parsley? It is my little boy's favourite it was among the menus.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Fishcake is a good alternative though it is often considered as part of leftovers, I personally love it, especially those made of smoked salmon and vegetable with its crispy and golden brown on the outside but for kid's birthday, I think a birthday cake is more appropriate.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 AM   #19
Executive Chef

You could of had the best of both and made a smoked salmon cheesecake.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

A great salmon cheesecake with summer salad sounds great :)

Tags
lunch, menu, party