"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandjy View Post
Hi guys,
I am preparing a little party for my son's birthday. He is 11 and enjoys French food.I was thinking about Cassoulet or Confit de Canard for main and an apple tart for dessert but I have no idea of the best appetizers; I hesitate between smoked salmon and duck paté. Any suggestion would be pleased
I think the fact that you have an 11 year old that loves French cuisine is an accomplishment all by itself!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:22 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Puffs View Post
I think the fact that you have an 11 year old that loves French cuisine is an accomplishment all by itself!
Because there are children who don't? Anyway, thanks for this wonderful compliment He is everything for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You could of had the best of both and made a smoked salmon cheesecake.
I will certainly wait for the next weekends to prepare a good salmon cheesecake ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry View Post
A great salmon cheesecake with summer salad sounds great :)
Summer salads sounds great, I was thinking about cherry tomatoes and green olives. What do you think??

Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Hello there,

I have a 7 years girl who enjoys French desserts and always wanted more though I often prepare her macaroons, waffles and other delicacies for snacking, she was never satisfied. This time, she wanted me to prepare fruity tartlets but on my first try I got them failed with soggy and mush crust. A little deceived, she refused to have anything to do with me though next week will be her birthday that's why I will need your help. Are there any fuity tartlets recipe which works at 100%???
Old 04-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaMend61 View Post
Hello there,

I have a 7 years girl who enjoys French desserts and always wanted more though I often prepare her macaroons, waffles and other delicacies for snacking, she was never satisfied. This time, she wanted me to prepare fruity tartlets but on my first try I got them failed with soggy and mush crust. A little deceived, she refused to have anything to do with me though next week will be her birthday that's why I will need your help. Are there any fuity tartlets recipe which works at 100%???
This is an easy recipe that involves a cookie type of pastry that is folded around a filling, be it fruit, or other filling. Here's the recipe:

Hamantashen

Hamantashen is a triangular, filled pastry which is traditionally served on Purim. My eldest daughter introduced me to them, though I’d never heard of them before. I looked up various recipes on the internet and picked out the ingredients that I thought would satisfy my crew. The cookies turned out very good, and were like by everyone.

Difficulty Level: easy

Ingredients:

2/3 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups flour
Fruit filling such as jams, or poppy seed filling

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add ½ cup of the flour and 2 tbs. of orange juice and whisk until smooth. Repeat until all of the flour and orange juice are used up.

Refrigerate the pastry dough for 2 hours.
Dust a large work surface with flour. Squash the dough between you hands to make a patty. Place the dough patty onto the floured surface, dust the top with flour, and roll as thin as possible.

Cut out 3-4 inch circles with a biscuit cutter, or drinking glass dipped in flour place a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up 3 sides to form a triangle (looks like a pirate hat, which is where the name comes from.).
Place the uncooked hamentashen onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and pot into a 375 degrees oven for 10-15 minutes (We’re looking for golden brown here}, but take out before the filling boils over)

Note:

Poppy seed is the traditional filling. Other great fillings are cherry, apple, date, dried prunes, raisin, and orang marmalade. You could even use mincemeat. My favorite filling, chorizo! Um, just kidding. I might try making some of these with Nutella once of these days. That would be tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Hello there,

Hello,

Can you send us the recipe you use Linda?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Hello there,

Hi,

That's a little big issue, I understand your feeling though children are often complicated
Don't know if this fruity tartlets recipe will be a great help but it happens to work with me, maybe you'd better try it and see the result. The one from chief Longwind looks also easy. Try them all
Old 06-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Wouldn't mind taking a look at that recipe!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:55 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The casoulet might be a hit if altered a bit to fit the tastes of most eleven-year-olds. Ingredients:
1 4 oz. can tomato paste
1 6 oz can Tomato Sauce

The Chief's Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:
1 12 oz. can dark red kidney beans
½ clove minced garlic
½ medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs. chopped green pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic,
onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns
translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well
blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into
bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover.
Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the
meat is cooked through.
Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns.

If that doesn't fit what you want, You might try this - Profiteroles filled with a good french cheese and crumbled Toulouse sausage - French finger good. Serve with a good dipping sauce. Just a couple of ideas for yu.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Wow! Looks very tasty. Do you know how many calories there are approximately? I have been on the hcg weight loss treatment diet recently and I have restrictions as to what all I can eat. Your recipe just looks so elegant, and I am so tempted. But my doctor has asked me to follow a diet plan which includes less calories.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth245 View Post
Wow! Looks very tasty. Do you know how many calories there are approximately? I have been on the hcg weight loss treatment diet recently and I have restrictions as to what all I can eat. Your recipe just looks so elegant, and I am so tempted. But my doctor has asked me to follow a diet plan which includes less calories.
I tried to get the carb and calorie count from an onl-line recipe calculator, but was unsuccessful. I hope someone on the site knows how to plug in the ingredient list and get that info for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
This is an easy recipe that involves a cookie type of pastry that is folded around a filling, be it fruit, or other filling. Here's the recipe:

Hamantashen

Hamantashen is a triangular, filled pastry which is traditionally served on Purim. My eldest daughter introduced me to them, though I’d never heard of them before. I looked up various recipes on the internet and picked out the ingredients that I thought would satisfy my crew. The cookies turned out very good, and were like by everyone.

Difficulty Level: easy

Ingredients:

2/3 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups flour
Fruit filling such as jams, or poppy seed filling

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add ½ cup of the flour and 2 tbs. of orange juice and whisk until smooth. Repeat until all of the flour and orange juice are used up.

Refrigerate the pastry dough for 2 hours.
Dust a large work surface with flour. Squash the dough between you hands to make a patty. Place the dough patty onto the floured surface, dust the top with flour, and roll as thin as possible.

Cut out 3-4 inch circles with a biscuit cutter, or drinking glass dipped in flour place a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up 3 sides to form a triangle (looks like a pirate hat, which is where the name comes from.).
Place the uncooked hamentashen onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and pot into a 375 degrees oven for 10-15 minutes (We’re looking for golden brown here}, but take out before the filling boils over)

Note:

Poppy seed is the traditional filling. Other great fillings are cherry, apple, date, dried prunes, raisin, and orang marmalade. You could even use mincemeat. My favorite filling, chorizo! Um, just kidding. I might try making some of these with Nutella once of these days. That would be tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
It looks super easy Thanks a lot! I'll make this one for her this coming sunday, I hope she will enjoy it.

Tags
lunch, menu, party