Lunch menu for birthday party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi guys,
I am preparing a little party for my son's birthday. He is 11 and enjoys French food.I was thinking about Cassoulet or Confit de Canard for main and an apple tart for dessert but I have no idea of the best appetizers; I hesitate between smoked salmon and duck paté. Any suggestion would be pleased :)
I think the fact that you have an 11 year old that loves French cuisine is an accomplishment all by itself!

I think the fact that you have an 11 year old that loves French cuisine is an accomplishment all by itself!

Because there are children who don't? Anyway, thanks for this wonderful compliment :) He is everything for me.

You could of had the best of both and made a smoked salmon cheesecake.:yum:

I will certainly wait for the next weekends to prepare a good salmon cheesecake ever.

A great salmon cheesecake with summer salad sounds great :)

Summer salads sounds great, I was thinking about cherry tomatoes and green olives. What do you think??

Hello there,

I have a 7 years girl who enjoys French desserts and always wanted more though I often prepare her macaroons, waffles and other delicacies for snacking, she was never satisfied. This time, she wanted me to prepare fruity tartlets but on my first try I got them failed with soggy and mush crust. A little deceived, she refused to have anything to do with me though next week will be her birthday that's why I will need your help. Are there any fuity tartlets recipe which works at 100%???

Hello there,

I have a 7 years girl who enjoys French desserts and always wanted more though I often prepare her macaroons, waffles and other delicacies for snacking, she was never satisfied. This time, she wanted me to prepare fruity tartlets but on my first try I got them failed with soggy and mush crust. A little deceived, she refused to have anything to do with me though next week will be her birthday that's why I will need your help. Are there any fuity tartlets recipe which works at 100%???

This is an easy recipe that involves a cookie type of pastry that is folded around a filling, be it fruit, or other filling. Here's the recipe:

Hamantashen

Hamantashen is a triangular, filled pastry which is traditionally served on Purim. My eldest daughter introduced me to them, though I’d never heard of them before. I looked up various recipes on the internet and picked out the ingredients that I thought would satisfy my crew. The cookies turned out very good, and were like by everyone.

Difficulty Level: easy

Ingredients:

2/3 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups flour
Fruit filling such as jams, or poppy seed filling

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add ½ cup of the flour and 2 tbs. of orange juice and whisk until smooth. Repeat until all of the flour and orange juice are used up.

Refrigerate the pastry dough for 2 hours.
Dust a large work surface with flour. Squash the dough between you hands to make a patty. Place the dough patty onto the floured surface, dust the top with flour, and roll as thin as possible.

Cut out 3-4 inch circles with a biscuit cutter, or drinking glass dipped in flour place a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up 3 sides to form a triangle (looks like a pirate hat, which is where the name comes from.).
Place the uncooked hamentashen onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and pot into a 375 degrees oven for 10-15 minutes (We’re looking for golden brown here}, but take out before the filling boils over)

Note:

Poppy seed is the traditional filling. Other great fillings are cherry, apple, date, dried prunes, raisin, and orang marmalade. You could even use mincemeat. My favorite filling, chorizo! Um, just kidding. I might try making some of these with Nutella once of these days. That would be tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hello there,

Hello,

Can you send us the recipe you use Linda? :)

Hello there,

Hi,

That's a little big issue, I understand your feeling though children are often complicated :(
Don't know if this fruity tartlets recipe will be a great help but it happens to work with me, maybe you'd better try it and see the result. The one from chief Longwind looks also easy. Try them all :chef:

The casoulet might be a hit if altered a bit to fit the tastes of most eleven-year-olds. Ingredients:
1 4 oz. can tomato paste
1 6 oz can Tomato Sauce

The Chief's Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:
1 12 oz. can dark red kidney beans
½ clove minced garlic
½ medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs. chopped green pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic,
onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns
translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well
blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into
bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover.
Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the
meat is cooked through.
Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns.

If that doesn't fit what you want, You might try this - Profiteroles filled with a good french cheese and crumbled Toulouse sausage - French finger good. Serve with a good dipping sauce. Just a couple of ideas for yu.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Wow! Looks very tasty. Do you know how many calories there are approximately? I have been on the hcg weight loss treatment diet recently and I have restrictions as to what all I can eat. Your recipe just looks so elegant, and I am so tempted. But my doctor has asked me to follow a diet plan which includes less calories.:ermm::ermm:

Wow! Looks very tasty. Do you know how many calories there are approximately? I have been on the hcg weight loss treatment diet recently and I have restrictions as to what all I can eat. Your recipe just looks so elegant, and I am so tempted. But my doctor has asked me to follow a diet plan which includes less calories.:ermm::ermm:

I tried to get the carb and calorie count from an onl-line recipe calculator, but was unsuccessful.:( I hope someone on the site knows how to plug in the ingredient list and get that info for you.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is an easy recipe that involves a cookie type of pastry that is folded around a filling, be it fruit, or other filling. Here's the recipe:

Hamantashen

Hamantashen is a triangular, filled pastry which is traditionally served on Purim. My eldest daughter introduced me to them, though I’d never heard of them before. I looked up various recipes on the internet and picked out the ingredients that I thought would satisfy my crew. The cookies turned out very good, and were like by everyone.

Difficulty Level: easy

Ingredients:

2/3 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups flour
Fruit filling such as jams, or poppy seed filling

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add ½ cup of the flour and 2 tbs. of orange juice and whisk until smooth. Repeat until all of the flour and orange juice are used up.

Refrigerate the pastry dough for 2 hours.
Dust a large work surface with flour. Squash the dough between you hands to make a patty. Place the dough patty onto the floured surface, dust the top with flour, and roll as thin as possible.

Cut out 3-4 inch circles with a biscuit cutter, or drinking glass dipped in flour place a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up 3 sides to form a triangle (looks like a pirate hat, which is where the name comes from.).
Place the uncooked hamentashen onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and pot into a 375 degrees oven for 10-15 minutes (We’re looking for golden brown here}, but take out before the filling boils over)

Note:

Poppy seed is the traditional filling. Other great fillings are cherry, apple, date, dried prunes, raisin, and orang marmalade. You could even use mincemeat. My favorite filling, chorizo! Um, just kidding. I might try making some of these with Nutella once of these days. That would be tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It looks super easy :) Thanks a lot! I'll make this one for her this coming sunday, I hope she will enjoy it.

Hi,

That's a little big issue, I understand your feeling though children are often complicated :(
Hi Granjie,

Sure, they are :( not always but most of the time she behaves like a girl of sixteen though she is still 7.

Don't know if this fruity tartlets recipe will be a great help but it happens to work with me, maybe you'd better try it and see the result. The one from chief Longwind looks also easy. Try them all :chef:

I have already used this recipe twice or more, I do not remember when exactly but it was delicious :yum:. For the first one, I followed the recipe to the letter. For the second, I decided not to use the apricots. Both tasted great but she loves the one with apricots, I'll try to make this one again.
Thanks a lot.

Hi Linda,

Preparing fruity tartlets doesn't required more than 30mn, you just have to pay attention on the time of cooking but also on the fruits you are going to use, regarding the ones your girl enjoys the most instead of using fruits she doesn't like at all. Granjie's recipe looks perfect, the one given by Chief Longwind too but remember everything is in the ingredients, try to find the best ingredients and tips for the preparation, you'll make the best fruity tartlets ever if these are completed.

Carry.

Hi to all! I can share a recipe that I always make for some special occassions like birthdays, parties... It is Hamburger cake! It sounds silly :D
Preheat oven according to cake mix directions. Butter and flour one 8 inch round and one 9 inch round cake pan and one 2 quart ovenproof bowl 8 inches in diameter.
Prepare cake mixes. Pour 1 3/4 cups of the white mix into the 8 inch round cake pan, and the rest into the 2 quart bowl. Pour 1 3/4 cups of the chocolate mix into the 9 inch round pan.
Bake 8 inch cake for 25 minutes, 9 inch cake for 20 minutes and bowl cake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
In separate small bowls, tint small amounts of vanilla frosting red and yellow, to use as ketchup and mustard. Tint remaining vanilla frosting light brown, using brown and yellow food coloring.
For bun bottom, frost the 8 inch cake with light brown frosting.
For hamburger patty, spread top and sides of 9 inch chocolate cake with chocolate frosting Lightly press all around sides of cake with folded paper towel, pulling towel straight out to create rough edge of burger. center cake on top of bun bottom.
For cheese, arrange orange fruit chews in single layer on microwave-safe plate. Microwave on High 10-15 seconds or until slightly softened. With hands, press and flatten chews together to form 9 inch square. Place on top of hamburger patty. On work surface sprinkled with granulated sugar roll out 5 leaf-shaped gumdrops to 1/8 inch thickness to form 1 large lettuce leaf; repeat rolling with 6 more gumdrops to form another leaf. Arrange over cheese near edges of burger. For tomatoes, roll out red gumdrops individually to 1/8 inch thickness. Arrange over lettuce around burger edges. For onion rings, roll out white gumdrops to 1/8 inch thickness. With round cookie cutters or sharp knife cut out circles; cut 1/4 inch thick rings from circles with small cutters. Re-roll scraps to make additional rings; arrange rings over tomatoes. Arrange fruit-slice candies over onions for pickles. Pipe red and yellow icing around edges of burger for ketchup and mustard.
For bun top: If necessary, trim bowl cake so that it will be flat on the bottom when inverted. Invert firm paper plate onto work surface. Center bowl cake, trimmed side down, on top of plate. Starting from the top, spread remaining light brown frosting in lines down sides of cake, turning plate after each section. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Carefully place on top of the cake.

Welcome to DC from another Bostonian. This is a fun and very interesting forum for folks who love to cook.

I love the idea of your Hamburger Cake. Sounds like a lot of fun. Do stick around. :angel:

LindaMend61, you gotta try this recipe. I am 100% sure your little daughter will love it. If you are having a party with other kids they will love it too. Plus it has got some fresh fruits on it. Here is the link BBC Food - Recipes - Fruit tarts
Here are just some recipe tips: You'll need 12 x 8cm/3in loose-bottomed tart tins. If you're short of time forgo making your own pastry and buy ready-made pastry cases (available from most supermarkets). Plus, the best thing about this is that you can choose any fruits you like you deem great to pair with the tarts. I have prepared it for my kids before. Only seeing the colors and the diversity of the fruits made them go crazy. Anyway I am not sure if the birthday is past but in case it is the case you can always prepare it for some other occasions.

Thanks a lot Julian. The recipe was easy and the tart was beautiful and delicious enough to please my little girl ^^

Hi angela! Thanks for the hamburger cake receipt, I have made this one very often that she get bored of it.

A great salmon cheesecake with summer salad sounds great :)

That is something quite new to me. Do you have recipe for this salmon cheesecake? My little girl enjoys seafood.

Thank you for this salmon cheesecake recipe CraigC. I look forward to preparing this for my kids next weekend. Does someone know a Delices and Gourmandises company in London? I went to their website and saw beautiful range of pastries, my little girl was so impressed.

Don''t think the date matters so much . The original poster hopefully has long since served lunch and postings have moved from LA to Glasgow. The thread likewise moves on.

Back
Top Bottom