Meal for coming sunday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cc2003btw

Cook
Hallo all, i'm cooking for my girlfriend on sunday, and i need some ideas about what to cook. She's a little fussy, so try not to include any things that aren't so commonly enjoyed. I need a meain course and a pudding, preferably intensly chocolatey, maybe a really good mousse. Thanks for any input.

CC:

Tell us a little about what kinds of foods she likes and dislikes so we have a chance of suggesting things she would really appreciate.

I always see what's best and fresh at the market. Or what is plentiful in season and perhaps on sale. ANd then I build around the main. Beautiful lamb chops grilled with garlic and rosemary, served with fresh sauteed vegetables over mildly spicey couscous...simple and delicious for instance.

Seeing that you are in Britain and your girlfriend is not exactly an adventurous eater, how about a real homemade Fish&Chips, made with good fresh cut of fish fried in fresh oil? That would be a far cry from the stuff you get from usual chippies...

For a chocolaty pudding, sacher torte would be a sure fire hit for any chocolate lovers... here is an example of the recipe...
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/countries/austria/sachertorte.htm

Good luck mate, cheers me dears:)

She's not huge on seafood, cream, and any things that are otherwise generally out of the norm. I can't think of much else right now. That lamb could be a good idea. Cheers.

The fish would have been fine, i should have said shellfish, she likes fish. Just havn't got a deep fryer anymore, dunno why really.

How about a marinated roasted chicken or a potato or mushroom soup. Pasta is also a good choice. It cooks quick and there are a million recipes. You could do a pasta with panchetta, sundried tomatoes, chicken, and peas in a roasted garlic cream and cheese sauce.

This is also a great marinade for pork

1 t. chopped garlic
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. black pepper
3 T. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 T. creole mustard
1/2 cup honey

Cheers for the help, did a stuffed leg of lamb with potatoes, carrots and broccoli. Was bloody fantastic meat. Ta again.

Here is a great little chocolate pudding recipe. This makes just the right amount for two.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PUDDING
from Barefoot Contessa Parties!, Ina Garten, 2001.
Serves 2 or 3

Ina says: "Remember My-T-Fine chocolate pudding? It's the ultimate comfort food. Well, I like to take something familiar and bump up the flavor with high-quality ingredients. This pudding gets its falvor from good cocoa powder and imported semisweet chocolate. It's the real thing and, surprise!, it's not much harder to make than the packaged kind, and it's soooo much better."

6 extra-large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons very good cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
2 cups milk
1 oz. very good semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and thick in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted wih the paddle attachment, on medium-high speed. On low speed, add the cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan and, with the mixer on low, slowly pour the hot milk into the chocolate mixture. Combine well, then pour the mixture back into the pan.

Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon, until thickened. If the misture begins to curdle, remove it from the heat and beat it vigorously with a wire whisk. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream, and mix until the chocolate and butter are melted.

Pour pudding into a serving dish and place plastic wrap directly on the pudding (to prevent a skin from forming). Chill until ready to serve.

Back
Top Bottom