"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Yikes... feeding 300+ on a $200 budget. Maybe it can be done. Tried to think of something that is inexpensive and not too labor intensive. Here's one idea - it serves 4, but sure it's flexible enough to adapt:

Maple Leaf Quesadillas

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup Salsa, slightly drained
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
8 Fajita Style Flour Tortillas
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives

In bowl, combine cream cheese, salsa and shredded cheese until well blended. Spread each of 4 tortillas with the cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining tortillas.

Using a large leaf-shaped cookie cutter, cut each tortilla into a large leaf. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet. Add the tortilla and cook, turning once, until golden brown about 3-4 minutes.

Repeat with remaining quesadillas. If desired, garnish quesadillas with sliced ripe olives, diced bell peppers and sliced green onions. Serve with additional salsa and sour cream on the side.

Tuna Rangoon

1 pound Wonton Wrappers
2 cans white tuna, well drained
38 ounce cream cheese
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
8 drops Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Blend tuna, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, tabasco, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Place teaspoon of tuna mix in middle of wonton wrapper. Fold over in triangular shape and seal edges with water.

Fry in 1 inch of hot oil for on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #12
Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Thank you all so much. I love all the idea's and plan on printing them off and adding them to my party book. I have a number of binders I keep recipes in that way if I am throwing a party I grab the party book first. LOL I have a breakfast one and a Misc one that gets all the recipes that don't go into either of the other ones. Anyway it looks like pinwheels mostly. I plan on a few different ones. easy and cheap to make. we are having veggies and dip 3 platters a couple of platters of fruit and a flat bread with hummus platter. I am doing the pinwheels and the hummus platter my cousin is doing 2 of the veggie platters and the rest is being picked up by someone else. oh and samosas I think he said 300 of them. LOL glad its him and not me. I think they are mini ones. anyway it should work. We have to do this to satisfy our liquor licence.

ArticKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by ArticKatt
We have to do this to satisfy our liquor licence.
Then all you need is trailmix, right? j/k Hope you have a Grrrreat party.

Another idea (I mentioned this in the Entertainment thread): Chinese take-out food, from the places that sell a main dish for about $4 (you pick beef or chicken etc., and get fried rice and a noodle.) They will make up big trays at a fair price.

After a friend's wedding, we all went to a nightspot/nightclub (closed for the private party) & there were trays and trays of Chinese food and, of course, all the libations we could drink. (P.S. She married the bartender.) Everyone served themselves and the food was really good. (If I recall, yep, there was food. LOL)
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
One thing you could make that would be really cheap is a large batch of fresh salsa. Everyone loves chips and salsa! Especially home made.

Various forms of chicken wings are always a hit, too.

Good luck!

I can resist everything except temptation.
SilvrBck is offline   Reply With Quote