"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Memorial Day (weekend) plans?

is anyone doing anything fun or interesting on this american holiday weekend?

any special plans such as cooking out, picnics, or trips to the mountains or beach?

i have to work tonight and saturday night, but after threatening some coworkers , i got sunday night off so we could do something on monday, memorial day. woohoo!

dw is taking the boy out shopping tomorrow, so i'll get a chance to do some food shopping and then come home and cook. i'm craving those steamed clams, and maybe shrimp cocktail. i think there's sausage in the fridge for sausage and peppers.

sunday is makeup sleep, and if it's not raining we'll try to get in some infield/outfield work (grounders, pop ups, etc.) and pitching practice. i may knock on some kids' doors to see if they can come out and play in a pickup game.

on monday, the baseball players in our league will be going to a memorial service in our town, then my family and i are going down the shore and out on a party boat for our first fishing trip of the year. look out fluke, blues, and stripers, here we come!

dinner will be japanese teppanyaki on the way home, then more batting cages.

what are your weekend plans, memorial holiday observed or not?

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's a hunker down and stay in PJ's holiday for us. Too many crazies on the roads. We will most likely do a movie marathon, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter...

I stopped at Costco and got pot stickers and meat balls. I should be able to fix up a few meals with those and what we have on hand.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

There is an outside chance we may get 90F weather this weekend. I am sure my daughter will have her yard set up and will BBQ. So I will have to make the cursory appearance.

My granddaughter sent me an email. She will be coming down this weekend from Maine and wants the key to the mausoleaum to visit her mother. I still can't go. The anniversary of her death is the 31st. So it is a bittersweet holiday for the family. I have to remeind myself that it could be worse. The anniversary could have been Christmas.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a town that will not be honoring or having a parade this year because there aren't any available vets that live in the town. All the old ones have died off. How sad!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend
Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Master Chef

I made my rounds of the cemeteries on Thursday to honor the dead, and avoid the living.

Quiet weekend at home.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

the sentiment us not lost on me, b.

i hope to get down to my fil's grave this week to plant a flag. he was a gunner on the ships that crossed the atlantic during ww-2.

he told me of when a ship in front if his in a convoy was torpedoed by the nazis, and during a horrific night he heard the cries if the men in the water going by, but the couldn't stop. they had to deliver their cargo to england, and stopping to pick anyone up would have doomed their ship to the u-boats.

he told me this as he cried like a baby. a guy who was a trucker by trade on his later years, who could eat steel and crap bullets. my wife, his daughter, didn't believe he opened up to me like that, but i guess he knew how much i loved my own dad and knew alot abouto his service in the western campaigns, so it was for an important cause.

i will never forget him. nor will my son.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Master Chef

Addie, one thing people don't seem to get is Memorial Day is about the dead vets, not the live ones, that is Veterans' Day. You don't need a live vet to honor those who have fallen. Just people who want to honor them.

that said, my plans this weekend were zero. My husband thought he'd like to just put out an open invitation to our friends; we cleaned both porches and put out our porch furniture, I bought a new Weber, the garden/s are almost done. Of course the prediction is for rain all weekend! So he just wanted me to email everyone (we're talking a dozen or so) rather than have a party, which this weekend is so full of other parties it would be difficult to time it, and just tell people to call first and come on by. I've stocked up on party-type snacks, beer & wine. We'll see what comes of it.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

actually, it's about those who died while serving their country, claire. a small but significant distinction.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Executive Chef

The weather does not promise full cooperation this weekend. Pretty sure we will try for a back yard picnic on whichever dry day we have this weekend. I think I will throw together a first of the season rhubarb pie. I would like to make beer simmered and grilled brats and sauerkraut, we havent had these in a long time. Or, we could get the makings for Reuben sandwiches indoors. I d be happy with either. Or Both. Well see how that goes when the voting is counted later this a.m. At any rate, Im going to ask DxW to make potato salad with whatever we have. Hers is better than mine, even though we both seemingly make the same recipe.