Memorial Day (weekend) plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
is anyone doing anything fun or interesting on this american holiday weekend?

any special plans such as cooking out, picnics, or trips to the mountains or beach?

i have to work tonight and saturday night, but after threatening some coworkers :mad:, i got sunday night off so we could do something on monday, memorial day. woohoo!

dw is taking the boy out shopping tomorrow, so i'll get a chance to do some food shopping and then come home and cook. i'm craving those steamed clams, and maybe shrimp cocktail. i think there's sausage in the fridge for sausage and peppers.

sunday is makeup sleep, and if it's not raining we'll try to get in some infield/outfield work (grounders, pop ups, etc.) and pitching practice. i may knock on some kids' doors to see if they can come out and play in a pickup game. :w00t:

on monday, the baseball players in our league will be going to a memorial service in our town, then my family and i are going down the shore and out on a party boat for our first fishing trip of the year. look out fluke, blues, and stripers, here we come!

dinner will be japanese teppanyaki on the way home, then more batting cages.

what are your weekend plans, memorial holiday observed or not?

It's a hunker down and stay in PJ's holiday for us. Too many crazies on the roads. We will most likely do a movie marathon, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter...

I stopped at Costco and got pot stickers and meat balls. I should be able to fix up a few meals with those and what we have on hand.

There is an outside chance we may get 90ºF weather this weekend. I am sure my daughter will have her yard set up and will BBQ. So I will have to make the cursory appearance.

My granddaughter sent me an email. She will be coming down this weekend from Maine and wants the key to the mausoleaum to visit her mother. I still can't go. The anniversary of her death is the 31st. So it is a bittersweet holiday for the family. I have to remeind myself that it could be worse. The anniversary could have been Christmas. :angel:

We have a town that will not be honoring or having a parade this year because there aren't any available vets that live in the town. All the old ones have died off. How sad! :angel:

the sentiment us not lost on me, b.

i hope to get down to my fil's grave this week to plant a flag. he was a gunner on the ships that crossed the atlantic during ww-2.

he told me of when a ship in front if his in a convoy was torpedoed by the nazis, and during a horrific night he heard the cries if the men in the water going by, but the couldn't stop. they had to deliver their cargo to england, and stopping to pick anyone up would have doomed their ship to the u-boats.

he told me this as he cried like a baby. a guy who was a trucker by trade on his later years, who could eat steel and crap bullets. my wife, his daughter, didn't believe he opened up to me like that, but i guess he knew how much i loved my own dad and knew alot abouto his service in the western campaigns, so it was for an important cause.

i will never forget him. nor will my son.

Last edited:
Addie, one thing people don't seem to get is Memorial Day is about the dead vets, not the live ones, that is Veterans' Day. You don't need a live vet to honor those who have fallen. Just people who want to honor them.

that said, my plans this weekend were zero. My husband thought he'd like to just put out an open invitation to our friends; we cleaned both porches and put out our porch furniture, I bought a new Weber, the garden/s are almost done. Of course the prediction is for rain all weekend! So he just wanted me to email everyone (we're talking a dozen or so) rather than have a party, which this weekend is so full of other parties it would be difficult to time it, and just tell people to call first and come on by. I've stocked up on party-type snacks, beer & wine. We'll see what comes of it.

actually, it's about those who died while serving their country, claire. a small but significant distinction.

The weather does not promise full cooperation this weekend. Pretty sure we will try for a back yard picnic on whichever dry day we have this weekend. I think I will throw together a first of the season rhubarb pie. I would like to make beer simmered and grilled brats and sauerkraut, we haven’t had these in a long time. Or, we could get the makings for Reuben sandwiches indoors. I ‘d be happy with either. Or Both. We’ll see how that goes when the voting is counted later this a.m. At any rate, I’m going to ask DxW to make potato salad with whatever we have. Hers is better than mine, even though we both seemingly make the same recipe.

Kater today it's cocktails and appys at SIL's.

My two daughters, SIL and grandson are coming here Monday. The original plan included going to the condo pool as it opens for the season this weekend. Sadly, it's going to be too darn cold for that so we'll play some ball with our grandson and eat stuff.

No big plans here. My dad might come for a visit on Monday. He just lives up the road in Richmond about an hour away. I've been cleaning up the front room where things have been accumulating. I figure if I concentrate on one room a month I might have this place ready for the wedding in Nov.:rolleyes: The yungun is working but has Monday off.

Throwing a couple of boston butts on the pit tonight so they can settle in for a 20 hour low and slow hickory smoke.

Pulled pork sammies tomorrow and later maybe some carnitas, tacos al carbon, or posole.

Last edited:
We're travelling this weekend to several grad parties. Fortunately, after next year I think we're done with those for awhile.

I took an extra day off on Tuesday just to recoup from our trip and have a little time with the immediate family. That's probably the day we'll do our cookout, weather permitting.

I usually try to get over to the town where dad is buried to put a little flag and flower arrangement on his and my granddad's graves, but this year my brother will do it.

We are going to a friend's house tomorrow, they are firing up their smoker to make bbq and I'm really looking forward to that!

Back home the tradition was go to my grandmother's house and help her make flower boxes for the cemetary. She would go up all summer long to keep them watered, it was just down the street from her house.

Now that she's in assisted living my mom and aunt have taken over the job. They still take her up to see the boxes.

Grandpa and Grandma, Great Grandma are all taken care of by Mom, now that they live there. For years I went with grandma to take care of Grandpa's headstone, clear the weeds and plant flowers. Shrek's Mom and Dad were cremated, their ashes were spread together in the Snowy Range after my MIL died. I participated in the facility Memorial of our folks who have died in the past year.

This weekend is all mine and Shrek's...Chicken Piccata with Asparagus and pasta later today.

We'll be starting the day by hanging the flag.
images
Then I'll be working in the garden, Himself will be cutting grass if he knows what's good for him. I was kinda hoping his sis would have us over for a cookout seeing as we had them over for a nice Mother's Day dinner and all, but didn't hear anything. And they live at the top of our street, a mere 1000 feet away! *sigh* She's "that" way, never thinking someone else might like to be the guest, and I've finally hit the wall with getting tired of always being the host.

Hope you all have a good day.

Addie, one thing people don't seem to get is Memorial Day is about the dead vets, not the live ones, that is Veterans' Day. You don't need a live vet to honor those who have fallen. Just people who want to honor them.

that said, my plans this weekend were zero. My husband thought he'd like to just put out an open invitation to our friends; we cleaned both porches and put out our porch furniture, I bought a new Weber, the garden/s are almost done. Of course the prediction is for rain all weekend! So he just wanted me to email everyone (we're talking a dozen or so) rather than have a party, which this weekend is so full of other parties it would be difficult to time it, and just tell people to call first and come on by. I've stocked up on party-type snacks, beer & wine. We'll see what comes of it.

Claire I know the difference for Mem. Day and Vet. Day. But when we have a holiday honoring our vets, dead or alive, we usually have a parade and the living vets march in that parade. All the vets in this particular town are now dead so no parade. It is a small town out in the boonies. All our small towns have a parade. It is like living in a Norman Rockwell painting. The vets that can, walk the parade. But there is a car right behind them in case they can't make the whole route. For those that can' walk, they are given a ride up on a flatbed decorated in red, white and blue bunting. And there is always a band helping them keep in step. Let me tell you, nobody gets louder cheers and applause than our older vets. No matter what war they were in. :angel:

I live in a very small town, and the old vets who march in the parade are more likely to be Vietnam than WWII.

The weekend was absolutely miserable. Rain and gloom, and more rain and more gloom. But a few friends came to visit and we had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom