Menu for 8 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking_Doc

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone

I'm new to this food forum thing so bear with me; please :chef: ....

We are having a dinner for 8 adults in a couple of weeks. We have a pretty good idea on mains and appies, looking for some good ideas for sides....

Since it is the Easter weekend we are doing a turkey appie selection with a turkey shepherds pie (mini, in ramicans), a turkey/cranberry/blue cheese on baguette kind of open faced sandwich and turkey rolled sushi (makizushi).

We are planning to follow that with a pork belly risotto.

Our main will be sous vide beef tenderloin.

A citrus palate cleanse (sorbet and lemoncella) is next followed by dessert (cake made by a guest).

My question is, what side ideas do you have for the main? Any thoughts on the menu?

Thanks in advance

CD

Welcome to DC :)

Since it's a celebration of spring, I would choose spring vegetables. A few ideas are grilled or roasted asparagus drizzled with a balsamic reduction or lemon juice; sauteed peas and pearl onions; and sauteed carrots tossed with honey and dill. Or a nice big salad with spring beans and cold steamed veggies. Good luck.

Also.....

Wines will consist of:

A viognier with our appies

A grenache from Australia with our risotto

A Californian Cabernet Franc with our main

Thanks again.

Thanks GotGarlic!

I'd been thinking about some grilled spring Veg along with a lightish (is that a word) starch.... Was thinking about a quinoa something, just unsure of what.....

I love the grilled asparagus with balsamic drizzle, will likely include that with our main.

You're welcome. For a starch, this is not exactly light, but I love mixed grilled or roasted fingerling potatoes, and they are a spring veg. Toss with evoo and any herbs you're using with the beef. Maybe even make it a potato salad with white wine vinegar.

Eta: By mixed I mean red, yellow and blue potatoes.

Last edited:
I think quinoa is a fairly robust starch and too similar to risotto. I might opt for some oven roasted petite red potatoes (maybe with some carrots as well) covered in herbed melted butter - lots of fresh parsley. It has the added benefit of being a do ahead prep.

I would also serve the asparagus and a simple leafy salad with a creamy blue cheese dressing - serve it pre-dressed. it'll be great with the beef ;)

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I'm new to this food forum thing so bear with me; please :chef: ....

We are having a dinner for 8 adults in a couple of weeks. We have a pretty good idea on mains and appies, looking for some good ideas for sides....

Since it is the Easter weekend we are doing a turkey appie selection with a turkey shepherds pie (mini, in ramicans), a turkey/cranberry/blue cheese on baguette kind of open faced sandwich and turkey rolled sushi (makizushi).

We are planning to follow that with a pork belly risotto.

A citrus palate cleanse (sorbet and lemoncella) is next followed by dessert (cake made by a guest).

My question is, what side ideas do you have for the main? Any thoughts on the menu?

Thanks in advance

CD
Welcome to DC! Sounds as if you have a great menu planned...I will be in Northern MN at the end of April...if there are any leftovers, maybe you could pop those in the freezer for me. I really like this dish:

Recipe Details

To make it without the bulger, just follow steps 1 and 4. I have done this with carrots and winter squash as well. LCBO's magazines have lots of great recipes, btw. I also love to do Laura Calder's brussel sprouts:

Brussels Sprouts Recipe : Laura Calder Recipes | LifeStyle FOOD

I usually add some Ontario maple syrup when I'm cooking the bacon.

I think your menu needs some acid and some texture. A green salad would be perfect.

Since you're serving risotto I wouldn't serve another starch with the beef.

I'd go with a simple steamed asparagus with olive oil and lemon.

Also, I would probably serve the salad as a separate course either first or before dessert and serve the risotto as a side with the beef.

I'd make some grilled green garlic and ramps. They only come around for such a short time!

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I like Jennyema's ideas of serving the risotto with the meat and the salad as a separate course. I'll let you all know how it goes.....

... looking for some good ideas for sides....

turkey shepherds pie (mini, in ramicans)
turkey/cranberry/blue cheese on baguette kind of open faced sandwich turkey rolled sushi (makizushi)
pork belly risotto.

citrus palate cleanse (sorbet and lemoncella)
dessert (cake made by a guest).

Thanks in advance

CD

Welcome to DC. I edited, to put everything together to get a better idea of the complete menu.

You have a lot going on, & some duplicates/similarities, i.e. risotto & sushi. The shepherd's pies will have vegetables & potatoes.

I would keep it simple, i.e. limit the appetizers, or pass on the beef tenderloin.

Some Easter/Spring side ideas are:

Chilled asparagus or fruit soup

Asparagus Mimosa (chilled asparagus topped w/ grated hard boiled egg)

Verrines
Layered salad in glasses (i.e. Greek Caprese)
Kitchen Window -- Verrines: A Glass Act : NPR

Asparagus, Peas, & Radishes w/ fresh Tarragon
Asparagus, Peas, and Radishes with Fresh Tarragon - Martha Stewart Recipes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom