"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I'm planning on making Mexican Brownies (cinnamon and brown sugar), and ice cream cake... so good!

-Tim

Old 07-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Well, the 4th is just more of an excuse to BBQ in our household as opposed to any sort of holiday deal, but we're gonna be doing:

My brisket (recipe can be found in the smoking forum)
2 kinds of ribs (cajun baby back and baby backs with a honey-mustard glaze)
German potato salad
Macaroni salad
Mustard potato salad
smoked corn on the cob with a honey-cayenne butter
bbq chicken with a marionberry-chipotle glaze
smoked hot dogs
grilled shrimp quesadillas
Elk burgers

For the liquid end of things...probably gonna make up a big thing of sangrias and for dessert I'm gonna be making grilled pineapple slices and plum kabobs with a cardamom sugar rub.

Got a lot going on...thankfully we've got 2 grills and 2 smokers to work with :)

Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Okay, I finally got the menu figured out -

appys include salsa verde dip, mexican caviar, italian appys, chips and dip, fresh veggies, cheese and crackers
ribs, potato cheese casserole, "fluff", and something else if I can figure it out by tomorrow
dessert will be brownies and dh is making homemade peppermint ice cream

I hope everyone has a great holiday - be safe but have fun!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Also for us in Italy, it will be either a day (or night, more precisely...) of celebration, or national day of mourning, but we will not find out which until about 23 tomorrow... wish us well!! (Germany vs. Italy in Dortmund at world cup semifinal... I know all the footies on this board are against us though... )

Old 07-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #25
Senior Cook

BBQ Brisket, potato salad, red beans, corn on the cobb, sliced tomato, garden onions, and plenty of cold beer....

later
Old 07-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #26
Master Chef

Mish, those kabobs are a great idea!

Goodgiver, I hope you're drying out OK. We had a near miss--the basement window was bulging in with water but DH was able to run outside and bail us out in the dark. Hope what they're forcasting for today doesn't hit you. It looks like we're in for another wet one.

If the weather holds and I can grill out we're having burgers, chili-lime chicken, corn, grilled veggies (tri-colored peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onions) marinated in a simple evoo, S&P, and lemon juice. For dessert I made home-made vanilla ice cream with black raspberry sauce (berries from a local farm) and home-made mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Everyone's menus sound great and plenty. We only have 5 here so mine is much smaller. Grilled pork roast, grilled sirloin steak, salt roasted red-skinned potatoes, baked beans, romaine salad and for dessert a triple berry cobbler. Everything is on schedule.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Let's see it's gonna be hot, so I've gotten started already Appies: Marmaladys oven crisp lemon pepper wings, melon and proscuitto, salami cigars, filled with cream cheese and wrapped around a pepperoncini, olives, carrots,celery,cucumbers,radish,small green onions, with dip, nachos and chips and salsa. grilling were having corn,baby backs,brats, hamburgers stuffed with blue cheese,chili dogs, a potato salad, SierraCooks penne salad that's yummy and even better now that I've added the avocados fruit platter with honey and lime drizzled over it. Dessert, banana splits and lots of fire works

kadesma have a wonderful day everyone
Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #29
Master Chef

I am going to a friend's house at Donner Lake in Truckee for fireworks and a potluck BBQ. Usually there is a lots of food that everyone brings. I am bringing a macaroni salad and cajun sausages to grill.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgiver
well being from the East Coast that was hit so hard with the rain and with all the flooding going on we will not br having anything. First of all I need to find my grill and then I need to find my downstairs, I did manage to save my pictures and my computer. Right now I am on my friends. Oh yes by the way I did rescue our Jack Russell and our generic cat Tiger and my Hubby.SO YOU ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE HOLIDAY WHILE WE ALL SHOVEL MUD.
I feel your pain goodgiver, as I have lots of family & friends left on the East Coast in PA, CT and Maine. I wish you could of sent some of that rain my way since we are battling wildfires out here in AZ It's 104 at 1:30 PM today and I have to start the grill soon for a BBQ~~~~maybe I can just wrap everything in foil and put it in the street????

We're doing the usual thing....Angus burgers, dogs, corn on the cob, red potato salad, three bean marinated salad and Rhode Island Clam Chowda!

Trish