Menu help for holiday bash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
So - we are having a last minute tree trimming party and I need some menu help as the tree decorating commences around dinner time and most folks will be coming directly from work. Drinks and munchies and lots of milling around and tarting up my Christmas tree are on the agenda. Not formal - these folks all know each other well.

I won't have much time to make food and spruce up the place... Here's what I was thinking about for a self serve buffet but need a few more ideas to fill in the gaps.

Beef stew (Crock Pot)
Popcorn
???
Christmas cake

Wine
Cider
eggnog

I was thinking of making a dark gingerbread or maybe chocolate and decorating it the way this one was done in the recent william sonoma catalog.

bundt.jpg

This menu seems lean - Beef stew has potatoes and big chunks of veggies, but there is no fresh veg here and very little hand food.

What should I add?

A cheese ball with fresh veggies and crackers would be good. Roll it in minced red, green and yellow bell peppers to make it look festive.

I made cornbread with roasted red peppers yesterday. Add some minced jalapeños and it will look Christmas-y ?

Attachments

• 1449772349961.jpg
    1449772349961.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 242
Are your plans locked in to beef stew? I just made my favorite soup again and thought about how good it would be for this kind of crowd. Guests milling around would find it easier to eat from steaming mugs with spoons. A large crock pot or electric roaster oven would work beautifully to keep it hot.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f13/zuppa-toscana-92039.html

Last edited:
Favorite for my house for a gathering (traditional for Christmas, no cooking) - Various luncheon meats such as sliced corned beef, various salamies, summer sausages, sliced cheeses, sliced black olives, onions, pesto, breads, Pita Pockets, condiments, etc. Everyone makes what they want, when they want it. My one son, every Christmas morning was as excited by The Feast!, as he would excitedly exclaim, as he was by the gifts. You could keep an electric skillet handy if anyone wants to grill their sandwiches. And if you use disposable plates, clean-up is minimal as well. Everyone can concentrate on having fun, without anyone having to fuss over meals or cleanup.

Oh, and serve that egg nog either hot, with a bit of nutmeg, or ice cold.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Are your plans locked in to beef stew? I just made my favorite soup again and thought about how good it would be for this kind of crowd. Guests milling around would find it easier to eat from steaming mugs with spoons. A large crock pot or electric roaster oven would work beautifully to keep it hot.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f13/zuppa-toscana-92039.html

The beef stew is locked in - it was a DH request and he rarely makes them so I'm working with it....:chef:

Beef Stew it is Janet!! Can you share a recipe you'll be using as I'm never happy with mine.

Good idea GG!!

I don't exactly have a recipe but my standard beef stew is distinctly Moroccan in flavor profile and deeply scented with turmeric and clove.

Beef cubes, dredged in flour and seared
Lots of quartered onions, lightly browned in pan after beef (in the drippings)
Toasted spices: turmeric, cardamon, cumin, clove, cinnamon, hot paprika, red pepper, black pepper a bay leaf or two.
Fresh ginger and several cloves of garlic
Red wine (for deglazing and a little sweetness)
Diced tomatoes
Beef stock and some water
Assorted veggies (depending on what's in the fridge): carrots, parsnips, potatoes
Giant handful of fresh parsley at the end

Typically I would leave out most of the potatoes and serve this over couscous or with bread.

Last edited:
Since you say your menu lacks fresh veg...how about fresh veg crudities (e.g. celery, carrot sticks, green and red pepper slices) to go with dips like hummus or a dip with half mayo and half greek yogurt with some red or green pesto in it?

Since you say your menu lacks fresh veg...how about fresh veg crudities (e.g. celery, carrot sticks, green and red pepper slices) to go with dips like hummus or a dip with half mayo and half greek yogurt with some red or green pesto in it?

Yes - i think this is the solution and easy. I might add a plate of fruit as well. next question:

Eggnog.... I hate the stuff but others like it so I picked up a carton of Horizon organic eggnog. What do I add to it for the 'nog' part?

Yes - i think this is the solution and easy. I might add a plate of fruit as well. next question:

Eggnog.... I hate the stuff but others like it so I picked up a carton of Horizon organic eggnog. What do I add to it for the 'nog' part?

The nog part? Not sure what you mean, but I've had it served with cinnamon and optional rum.

Nog would be nutmeg and brandy or rum!

Last edited:
Which is better? Brandy or Rum?

Do I mix up the whole batch with the booze included or do I set out the bottle ?

Either one. I prefer brandy, mixed into the eggnog. Tom and Jerrys would be another thought, my dad would mix up a big load of batter and serve it on Christmas Eve from his business.

Back
Top Bottom