"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Menu Inspiration Needed....

Howdy all,

I am helping a friend with a Christmas open house for her upscale spa located in an upscale hotel.

She has requested Christmas type food (very specific!) and has allowed me to develop the menu.

The event will be over 4 hours. I have no idea how many guest will pass through. She is thinking "a lot", but how many is that? My gut says to expect 60 or less.

Now, everyone has a different idea of "Christmas-y food." I have been toying with a few ideas, and an hoping someone can offer some suggestions to help get this menu in order.

Ideally, I would like to have 1 or 2 hot hor dourves, 1 cold, and a dessert.

1) Dessest - Coconut chocolate brownie, butter cream mousse, with shaved chocolate in a mini martin glass (my take on a traditional nanimo bar)

2) Selection of 2 cheese logs (one spicy, one not) with fancy crackers.

3) Warm mushroom tart

or

I have also been thinking about a deluxe antipasto table, which is not exactly Chistmas-y, but it would be divine! - If I went this route, I would also consider switching to a tiramisu for the dessert, presented the same way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kristal

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Give to her sample menus that you know you can pull off. Don't do things that she wants, but you're not sure if you can do it. If she is unhappy with them for any reason, explain to her that these are items that you know you can make taste good, which is the important thing. If she's not happy with that, then she is free to go through the hotel's food and beverage department or she can contact an outside caterer for her function.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It would seem one would need a great variety of hors d'oeuvre s...some hot some cold some veggie some meat some dairy some fish. will these be passed or will it be a buffet?
The antipasto idea is always good and can be made quite seasonal. There are specific items the Italians associate with Christmas. The cheese log doesn't sound upscale to me, however, a variety of fine aged cheeses may well be with excellent toasts and crackers.

But the first questions need to be answered. If it is a buffet carving boards of fine roasts be it beef turkey or ham with wonderful mustards etc might be in order. Chaffing dishes of meatballs, crab dip etc might work. Passed hds can include many of these items too but arranged quite individually.

mini kebabs with satay beef or shrimp, souvlaki or teriaki chicken. Pickled herring, caviar on chopped egg and onion, smoked salmon, gravlox, etc.

Hope these give some ideas.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

Before you go to any trouble, make sure the hotel will allow food from outside to be served.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Sorry, I guess I was a bit unclear with the style of this event. People will be passing through the spa, there is no seating or meal, she would just like to have hor dourves there to help get people to stay a bit longer,and possibly purchase some goods.

Ironchef,
As far as what I can pull off, I am pretty sure I can do anythign she asks.

Robo,
I would include some impoted cheese as well with the logs, but you are right, maybe not so upscale.

And yes, she has been given the go ahead on outside food.

Thanks again for the advice & suggestions.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Master Chef

What, exactly, is "very specific Christmas-type food"? If it's so "very specific", she must have given you some guidelines/ideas? Who does she think you are - Mrs. Claus - lol!!!! I love the holidays, but even I'd have a problem - apart from eggnog & cookies - coming up with "very specific Christmas-type food" (unless you plan on roasting a goose).

Another thing that would have me worried is her answer to your guest number query: "a lot". How are you supposed to figure a quantity out of "a lot". Depending on how "upscale" & populated the hotel & the location, a Xmas open house could, as you surmise, mean "60", or it could mean "100" or more.

I know you say she's your friend, but she ain't helping you a whole lot here. Plus, are you just helping her out with the ideas & cooking gratis, or is she paying you? Big differences that can make or break a friendship.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Yes, not very specific, I know! I guess my sarcasm was lost over the net!

She really has no idea how many people may come. We are in a small town (pop 15,000) but she is well known, as is her family. I would assume she will be inviting past and present clients, family, friends etc. That being said, I will give her per piece pricing, and she can order what she likes.

As far as payment, yes, I will be paid. I am a caterer, and I have to make a living whether she is a friend or not. She knows I wouldn't expect a free massage, and in turn she wont expect free food
Old 10-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

Since it's a spa, you'd probably be best off with spa cuisine type foods.

Fresher, healthier, lower in fat, etc.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Welcome to DC, Rub.

I'm not clear from your post. Are you a caterer? Do you have adequate liability insurance in case someone claims they got sick on your food? Do you have a commercial kitchen in which to prepare the food?

Most cities have very specific laws governing where food served outside your own private home may be prepared. I would be very careful to find out and observe your local regulations. It's great to help out a friend, but not at your own personal liability. These days, our society has become so litigious, you really need to protect yourself.

All that said and over with, if your friend has a "spa," does she want food that is "healthy" as well as beautiful and delicious? You might want to check that out with her before you compile your menu.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

June,

Yes, I am licensed, insured and rent commercial kitchen space. That is not an issue, but I do appreciate your concern.

A am still trying to get more info from her, but as you can see, it has been quite hard. I do understand that it is a spa, and the "healthy" aspect should definately be considered. I will design a menu that is more "spa like" as well, and will let her choose. Would you have any suggestions for an alternate menu?

Thanks