Menu suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I am having a small dinner party on Friday evening. So far, the menu includes chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, Mediterranian couscous (losts of veggies) and an apple crostada for dessert. appetizer will be smoked salmon on rye or pumppernickel toasts with sour cream.

I'm wondering about a vegetable side dish. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lyndalou

For some reason lemon keeps popping into my head. How about artichokes, cooked in lemon water with both a garlic aioli dipping sauce and dishes of melted butter?

Here's an easy one. Baked Acorn Squash.

Take acorn squashes and cut them lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and any goo. Salt and pepper the flesh, and wrap each half in heavy duty foil. If you have room in the oven with your chicken, place them cutside down on a cookie sheet (to carmelize the edges). If not enough room, just place the wrapped packages on the oven grate, cut side up (in case of leaks).

Roast the squash halves at 350 for at LEAST an hour, or until they feel soft to the touch or a poke with a fork. Before serving, carefully unwrap and put pats of butter, a little brown sugar, maybe a splash of maple syrup, in the squash bowls.

So easy, so good, and no pan to wash. I'm all over those qualities, especially for a dinner party!

Lee

the artichoke sounds really fine with that menu!
but if not, a ratatouie or caponata would be wonderful

Something light and "clean" tasting, not heavy would be the way I'd go.

Orange and Fennel Salad

• 4 navel oranges (or blood oranges if you can find them)
  • 2 medium size fennel bulbs
  • 1 small red onion
  • 4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
  • freshly ground pepper (a few fennel seeds or fresh green tops to garnish if you like)
Peel the oranges with a knife so as to remove all of the white pith. With a sharp knife, cut along the membranes separating segments so as to remove them.

Wash the fennel and remove green stalks and any bruised or discolored outer leaves. Slice cross-wise as thinly as possible. Use a mandoline or other slicing device if you have one.

Peel the onion and remove both ends. Slice cross-wise as thinly as possible. Again, use a mandoline or other slicing device if you have one. Combine orange supremes, fennel and onion in a bowl and toss with olive oil. Serve with freshly grated pepper as is or atop a bed of lettuce.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

I'm late, but cucumbers, sliced thin, in yogurt, with a bit of chopped mint in it if you can get fresh. This is if you'e being lazy, it's so easy. IF not, go with that Greek salad. THAT I can have for supper and forget everything else. Your meal is my favorite to tell beginning cooks to make, only I also (along with the garlic) throw a lemon (or a half-lemon, depending on size of bird) into the chicken's cavity. Yumm yumm. How did it go, by the way?

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.
The meal was great, everyone had a good time. I had lots of veggies in the couscou(zucchini, butternut squash, onions, and carrots) so I ended up with a sliced fresh tomatoand basil salad lightly dressed with a vinaigrette. Finished up with the apple crostata and either sharp cheese of heavy cream.

Love the Greek salad suggestion, will definitely be making that.

Back
Top Bottom