"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Mom-in-Law’s feast questions. Timing.

Hello again, friendly chefs! I realize I’m starting to cross the “annoying” line and pass into “pain in the rear” territory here, but y’all are so wonderful!

I’ve solved the gluten-free issues with the gravy and the dinner rolls. I think. I’ve just finished a surprisingly good turkey broth, made from roasted turkey drumsticks, onion, and celery for the gravy.

Here’s my dimella, as my husband likes to say.

Timing.

Can I make the bird at home and transport it the day of the feast to MIL’s house? We have two puppies (no, I’m not cooking THEM!). MIL can’t abide them, but I can’t leave them alone for more than a few hours, and every boarding facility is booked up for the holiday, of course. So, if I can engineer it, I’d like to wake up on Thursday morning (or just stay awake all night Wednesday), and transport the finished gobbler to Mom’s house. If I do this, will the turkey suffer from being re-heated? If it won’t, for how long at what temp? I’m already making the braised red cabbage, the butternut squash soup, the dinner rolls and dessert ahead of time, and in my own kitchen.

Sweet Moses! I’m enjoying this immensely, but it IS exhausting, and my brand new iPad is already telling me to STOP THE GOOGLING! Siri is TIRED! 😂

Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Master Chef

I've catered turkey dinners for years and have always cooked things in advance and reheated..It needs to be well covered and reheated gently around 300 for 45 minutes then drop the temp to warm 250 to hold for another 20 minutes or so..depending on when you are ready to eat, so give yourself some time..The turkey can be cleaned, sliced and put in a casserole with about a half inch of turkey broth..this will keep it moist. The dressing can be done the same way. I would coat the dish in butter so the stuffing doesn't stick and burn. I check it and stir in some broth or gravy to keep it moist..This will save you lots of time and you can do your veggies while it is heating up...

All instructions aside it is really up too you to check it and see how it is progressing..so, give yourself some time

Old 11-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Over the river and through the woods... how far to MIL's house?

You could do 1a) carve the turkey and put in a covered casserole or 1b) take it whole and carve there. Either way lay a folded bath towel in a cooler, and cover with another bath towel and transport. No lifting the cooler cover to check if it's hot. It is, and will stay warm for several hours.

or 2) bring the whole turkey and some of the homemade broth to pour in the roaster and reheat at MIL's.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Head Chef

If you want to bring a fresh from the oven bird to the MIL's house, you can pull it from the oven, wrap it in foil, and pack it in a cooler with towels. It will stay hot for a few hours that way. Otherwise, you need to refrigerate it and re-heat it at her house. You either need to keep it hot during transport, or keep it cold and re-heat.

CD
Old 11-19-2017, 01:23 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks, everyone!

Thank you for all of your terrific suggestion! I think I’ll start really early in the morning and wrap the gobbler in towels in a cooler; that seems like a winner, as Rose is only about 30 minutes away. (Rose is my MIL; but I think referring to her by name is more respectful than MIL, which can have distinctly negative connotations at times.) I didn’t know a turkey would stay warm for that long!

Should I remove the aromatics from the cavity before I transport?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Head Chef

Yes - remmove the aromatics and or anything else from the cavity.

Like Rock, my sis also cooks the turkey the day before, slices and wraps well in foil. Keep it moist and reheat gently. Follow Rock's advise. She does this every year as she always has a huge group come Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Master Chef

Ive done it for a hundred years, it feels like.

Turkeys stay hot for a very long time. A cooler works well, if your bird can fit into it.

I would not carve it before you arrive
Old 11-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Thank you for all of your terrific suggestion! I think I’ll start really early in the morning and wrap the gobbler in towels in a cooler; that seems like a winner, as Rose is only about 30 minutes away. (Rose is my MIL; but I think referring to her by name is more respectful than MIL, which can have distinctly negative connotations at times.) I didn’t know a turkey would stay warm for that long!

Should I remove the aromatics from the cavity before I transport?
You should probably take the aromatics out of the bird. Then wrap it in foil, then towels. Then into the cooler.

CD
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

As noted by earlier posts, you can hold a turkey pretty well but I wanted to throw another idea out if you wanted to try a little adventure...

the big easy turkey cooker is a fast way to cook a turkey. It's a propane driven convection cooker that makes amazing turkeys. I use this every year and brine the turkey the night before. Pull the bird out of the brine and pop it into the cooker - outside. A 15 lb turkey cooks in about 2.5 hours.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TR.../dp/B001HBI7D8

we actually cook two turkeys - the first one gets eaten at t-day dinner and the second one cooks during dunner to be used as leftovers.

You could pack the bird in the brine bucket (which has ice in it) and the cooker over to MILs and cook it there.

here's my brine recipe for a 5 gal bucket.:

1/2 gal apple juice
1/2 gal veg stock - low salt
1 C salt
bag of ice
1/4 C pickling spice
1 T allspice
3 bay leaves
1 stem rosemary
1/2 gal water - just enough to cover bird.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
As noted by earlier posts, you can hold a turkey pretty well but I wanted to throw another idea out if you wanted to try a little adventure...

the big easy turkey cooker is a fast way to cook a turkey. It's a propane driven convection cooker that makes amazing turkeys. I use this every year and brine the turkey the night before. Pull the bird out of the brine and pop it into the cooker - outside. A 15 lb turkey cooks in about 2.5 hours.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TR.../dp/B001HBI7D8

we actually cook two turkeys - the first one gets eaten at t-day dinner and the second one cooks during dunner to be used as leftovers.

You could pack the bird in the brine bucket (which has ice in it) and the cooker over to MILs and cook it there.

here's my brine recipe for a 5 gal bucket.:

1/2 gal apple juice
1/2 gal veg stock - low salt
1 C salt
bag of ice
1/4 C pickling spice
1 T allspice
3 bay leaves
1 stem rosemary
1/2 gal water - just enough to cover bird.
That’s sounds delish. Maybe for Christmas.