"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Head Chef

Mother's Day Menu

Many Mother's Day Celebrations start with a traditional breakfast (whatever is traditional for your family), maybe some family pictures (digital camera style). If your family is living far away, maybe it starts with Mom giving you a wake up call! LOL
Mother's Day is all about family and fun. Sometimes the men will grill but sometimes Mom does.
Some families like to meet at a restaurant for a big dinner.
When it Rains on Mother's Day, out come the meatloaf sandwiches sometimes in the garage with lawn chairs, the family room with the curtains open, or we all hide under the tent canopy with silly umbrellas.
What are your Mother's Day Plans?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The usual. Just Buck and me. Our 5 children live anywhere from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C. and everywhere in between, so my Mother's Day will most likely be acknowledged through cards and phone calls. I've kinda gotten used to celebrating this way. The last time any of the children were around for Mother's Day was over 14 years ago.

Buck usually makes sure I get cards and gifts from my kitty children, though.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Head Chef

When my son called from around the globe Saturday, I said "Happy Mother's Day." The charm in that laughter will last a life time right now! I just put a Mother's Day cake in the freezer for the other one. Maybe I should tape a recipe for meatloaf on the top!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Sometimes we go out but mostly have a bbq.- me cooking, I love it though. MyMothers day is every day !
Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul and I go on our first camping trip of the year on Mother's day. We're in the woods together. No celebration. David will call ( if he remembers a few days later).
Old 04-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Well, seeing that my DH is the GM of a very popular/busy local restaurant I will be home alone that day. My kids are both in the restaurant/hospitality biz so I imagine that they will be busy as well. If it's a pretty day I'll probably work in the garden then justify that hard work with the reward of a bowl of pasta!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have been invited to my MIL's house. She and her daughter have probably planned something already - they'll tell me what to bring.

My son always gets me a nova salmon, cream cheese, red onion, capers, everything bagel for breakfast. I LOVE it!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We don't always have a big Mother's Day celebration since our daughter and her family were cross country for several years and our son was away at school and then working in the same area. However last year we were fortunate enough to celebrate with our son and this year with both of them and their families, and also with my mother who is almost 90. We are going to the farm and all of them will be there. I'm doing a rib roast and also roasting a chicken. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than to have them all present.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Trying to juggle schedules will be difficult. Hopefully we can come up with a plan either before or after the day. Probably after. DW's birthday falls in there real close, so it will a combo celebration of sorts. Time to start planning for sure!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Head Chef

My son peek around the corner of the kitchen Sunday and asked for the meatloaf recipe!

I am encouraging him to plan a tailgate party for Saturday (May 12th). He has friends who are graduating and friends who work on Sunday.

Last year he was working at a restaurant on Mother's Day. I buzzed in and had lunch with him.

It's not all about Mothers; it's about families.