"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got nice cards from my three stepkids. Shrek's Mom died two and a half years ago, so it's down to my Mom. She got her pair of wellies, which she loves, and several MD e-cards that I sent. The card that came with her wellies had a short poem I wrote. My day tomorrow will be spent at work, passing out small gifts to our female residents. I also have a special present for one resident whose only child was killed in a car accident earlier this year.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I got nice cards from my three stepkids. Shrek's Mom died two and a half years ago, so it's down to my Mom. She got her pair of wellies, which she loves, and several MD e-cards that I sent. The card that came with her wellies had a short poem I wrote. My day tomorrow will be spent at work, passing out small gifts to our female residents. I also have a special present for one resident whose only child was killed in a car accident earlier this year.
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this!

Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Since we really can't afford to go out, I decided that our Mother's Day dinner tomorrow will be quick and easy, and something we both love. Hot dogs, cottage cheese, and baked beans. Then a long nap, followed by the season finale of "Once Upon a Time," and chef salads for supper.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this!
+1! What a sweet thing to do, PF!

I lost my mom in January. Still dealing with the aftermath. I nagged DH into sending a card to his mother, who's like the Eveready Bunny. She's had almost every part replaced along with breast reduction surgery, and she keeps going! As does DH's dad! Unfortunately, they live clear across the country.

Tomorrow we'll try to use up leftover ham.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

My youngest lives abouth 35 minutes away. Seems like that is just too far away for him to travel. He works just ten minutes away and that is too far also after work. So I don't expect to see him. If I am lucky, he might call. And I am still waiting for those farm fresh eggs.

I am just happy and grateful that I see Spike everyday. He shows up saying that I need my "Teddy fix" for the day. But I know different. Although that is true. I don't expect any present from him.

The Pirate lives about 20 minutes away and has transportation problem. And if he were to use public transportation on a Sunday it could take him two or more hours. But I know he will call.

My daughter plans on stopping by. It all depends on how she feels. That I understand.

Food? What ever I feel like making. Probably scrambled eggs or some pasta with butter.

Whenever I have a conflicting problem, I stop and remember I have to make a choice. Where do I say No to one person and Yes to another. I wish my youngest one would learn this lesson. I know his career keeps him hopping. But the main idea why he changed jobs was so that he could have more personal time. So he has filled up that time with more career work. I just hopes he wakes up before it is too late.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

It is Mothers Day here today

Mum will be coming over at 12pm for a wonderful lunch!

We tried a slice each of the classic baked cheesecake we made for mum yesterday, it is unbelievably good....she will love it
Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Jr is going to his GF family for Motherís Day. Knowing Jr, he will call his mom later Sunday night, not send a card and she might not seem like she eyes the telephone, I know her well enought to know she will keep her ears peeled all day. He sees and talks with his mom often, she is loved and appreciated. Itís a holiday, a special day. And that to me, is the part that counts.

I asked what she wishes to do on Motherís Day. She agreed I might treat her with brunch. Her house. Neither of us care to go out on holidays, too many crowds and generally over priced buffets , and is there ever enough time to relax in all the frenzy of the moment.

So hereís the later morning breakfast Plan . Oven roast asparagus. Scramble up some eggs and snip some garden chives. I tried some Johnsonville brand breakfast sausage links recent, they were pretty good, kind of mild. I picked up another pkg these. I nabbed a nice looking although exceedlingly large loaf of seedy crusty bread for toast and I bought a frozen real key lime pie, Imported from Florida, and a basket of strawberries to slice on top. This seems kind of put to-gether rather than hands on/ home-made on paper. Well, I guess itís Festive and is not too heavy a meal. I also plan serving glasses of faux mimosas with sparky water and oj and she can make coffee. The only other thing I know, is to do up the dishes afterward. Then we can have a 2nd cuppa and relax with the day.

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

My mom's been gone for over 30 years and SO's since she was six. I still think about mom on this day (and others).

However, I'm very happy to be able to celebrate SO's Mothers Day as her kids are in Florida. She deserves all the attention and care she can get. Her kids and grandchildren have/will call today. I'm doubly happy as I can celebrate my older daughter's Mothers Day. Although efforts to get her six year old to take her breakfast in bed were rejected. He thought that was just silly.

So, Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms, step-moms, spouses, mothers-to-be and all who have earned the title.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Feeling sort of melancholy. Mom and I used to talk every Sunday, I catch myself going to pick up the phone to call her. She died in January.

Sibs and I will plant her ashes in Canada sometime in June. Should be interesting with the whole fam damnly.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Been trying to call my Mom...but she's out and about.

Had a lovely morning at the facility, handing out presents (perfumes and scented soaps) to the residents. My special case loved the slippers and buckwheat/lavender filled hot or cold neckwrap.