"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
my girl is working today, but will come to visit me from Maryland on Thursday. we have been celebrating holidays at off-times for most of her life, so it's no biggie for us. I have flowers and candy, and am spending my day reading and shopping online at a sale that announced itself as 'not just any sale, but the mother of all sales.' now I ask you, how'mi supposed to resist the mother sale of sales?! and it was, too. I saved $206.00 spending only $60.00. I wish I could get sale margins like that on my food purchases....:)
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
I feel so blessed. I actually had the weekend off which only happens about once every 3 weeks. The weather was GORGEOUS! Ken treated me like a queen as usual, and my girls never cease to amaze me with their thoughtfulness and generosity. The best part of the day was getting to sit together over dinner and enjoy time with everyone.

I'm a little late, but hope all the Moms out there enjoyed their days. To all of you ladies who have become a part of my family online, you mean the world to me and I feel blessed to have met all of you.

__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Sounds like a perfect Moms Day, Alix. Glad your day was so special. I'm looking forward to when we move back home to where our kids still live and I can pretend Mother's Day is once a week (or more) just to have them over for dinners.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,481
I got a text from my future DIL, a call from my oldest, and later a text from my youngest. His text read "happy occasion day" and gave me a chuckle. He has such a dry sense of humor. I am usually referred to as the female parental unit so his text is appropriate! I stayed home and vegged on netflix all day!
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
One of our former exchange students arrived yesterday for a week-long visit. DH took us to brunch at a restaurant on the riverfront and then we walked around an arts festival downtown that takes place every Mother's Day weekend.

For dinner, I made pan-grilled New York strip steaks, pan-seared sea scallops, and roasted potatoes with evoo, rosemary and S&P. I served that with a spring mix from the garden dressed with Meyer lemon vinaigrette.

I had made a lemon aioli for the scallops, but when I took it out of the fridge, I dropped it and broke the bowl. Arrgghh! The scallops went well with the vinaigrette, though!
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I got a text from my future DIL, a call from my oldest, and later a text from my youngest. His text read "happy occasion day" and gave me a chuckle. He has such a dry sense of humor. I am usually referred to as the female parental unit so his text is appropriate! I stayed home and vegged on netflix all day!

It gave you only a chuckle, and I am still laughing.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
One of our former exchange students arrived yesterday for a week-long visit. DH took us to brunch at a restaurant on the riverfront and then we walked around an arts festival downtown that takes place every Mother's Day weekend.

For dinner, I made pan-grilled New York strip steaks, pan-seared sea scallops, and roasted potatoes with evoo, rosemary and S&P. I served that with a spring mix from the garden dressed with Meyer lemon vinaigrette.

I had made a lemon aioli for the scallops, but when I took it out of the fridge, I dropped it and broke the bowl. Arrgghh! The scallops went well with the vinaigrette, though!
Julia had always said, "If you are in the kitchen alone, no one will ever know." And I certainly won't tell.

Every Mother's Day at the Arboretum in Jamaica Plain, there are maybe two, three or even more hundred lilac bushes in full bloom. One year my sister and I told no one where we were going and decided to be selfish for a change. We headed out there and enjoyed a wonderful peaceful day of smelling lilacs all day long. We walked all over the grounds and my sister got some great ideas of what to put in her garden. She even bought some plants to take home and plant. The Arboretum is part of the Emerald Necklace of Boston which includes the Public Gardens with the swans and Swan Boats. The Necklace is a series of parks that circle Boston and are connected by walking paths.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #28
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I had made a lemon aioli for the scallops, but when I took it out of the fridge, I dropped it and broke the bowl. Arrgghh! The scallops went well with the vinaigrette, though!
What, you didn't scrape up the good part and use it? True story: my Mom had my HS boyfriend's parents over for dinner one Sunday. The Moms were in the kitchen - so was I - and the chicken platter tipped, dumping all the pieces on the floor. His Mom looked at my Mom and asked "you washed the floor, right?". Of course Mom had! So his Mom said "quick, pick it up before anyone comes in" and told me to not breathe a word. We all lived, so it was all good.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #29
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Every Mother's Day at the Arboretum in Jamaica Plain, there are maybe two, three or even more hundred lilac bushes in full bloom. One year my sister and I told no one where we were going and decided to be selfish for a change. We headed out there and enjoyed a wonderful peaceful day of smelling lilacs all day long. We walked all over the grounds and my sister got some great ideas of what to put in her garden. She even bought some plants to take home and plant. The Arboretum is part of the Emerald Necklace of Boston which includes the Public Gardens with the swans and Swan Boats. The Necklace is a series of parks that circle Boston and are connected by walking paths.
The Greater Cleveland area has a beautiful Emerald Necklace, with something like a dozen parks strung through two or three counties. I drove a route to work that took me along one of the parkways connecting the larger parks on my way to work. About this time each year I would smell spring onions popping up in the grass edging the road. A sure sign of spring!
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

What, you didn't scrape up the good part and use it? True story: my Mom had my HS boyfriend's parents over for dinner one Sunday. The Moms were in the kitchen - so was I - and the chicken platter tipped, dumping all the pieces on the floor. His Mom looked at my Mom and asked "you washed the floor, right?". Of course Mom had! So his Mom said "quick, pick it up before anyone comes in" and told me to not breathe a word. We all lived, so it was all good.
I have been known to do that with certain foods, but it was in a ceramic bowl which smashed on the floor, and I didn't want to risk us ingesting any of that.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.