"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Icy - you sound like me - way too much food, always! I have such a fear of running out. I did a wedding reception a couple years ago - more food left over than you can imagine. :-) Some went to the homeless shelter, some went into people's freezers.

Oh - if you want to see something very funny, take a look at the 1st 3 photos on this page - this was one of my 1st large scale attempts at cooking. I had about 30 different items & had enough of each item to feed everyone! I could have fed everyone who attended the wedding the next day with the leftovers. These photos might even make you feel better!!

http://www.truerwords.net/meandmine/...rehearsal.html

The deviled eggs - sprinkling them with paprika or some other herb/spice might have covered up some of that ugly color!

Old 06-18-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Oops I put 100 people, there were 301 people to be exact.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
Sous Chef

LOL thank you for sharing those pictures Corinne. :) It did make me feel better and I really hate that food was being thrown away, but it sat for hours in a hot hall and my sister and I both agree that pork, beef, and eggs should not sit out like that and then be given to a homeless shelter. We couldn't do it. I guess the hall was so hot this time because of it was filled to the rafters. We even had to scrounge up another table and squeeze it in.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Ya live - ya learn - and ya move on! Icy, why don't you share some thoughts about what worked - what didn't - what you'd do again, and what you'd never touch!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks to whoever made Icy's title more accurate!

I would never attempt what you have done, Icy, so be proud about how well it turned out after all.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Thanks to whoever made Icy's title more accurate!l.
Huh? What did I have?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought it just said Flops and not Successes. You did succeed, after all.

Did I read it too fast the first time?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #18
Sous Chef

IcyMist grabbed some glass cleaner and chamos cloth and wiped Mudbug's glasses. :)
Old 06-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks - guess I needed that!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Hmmmm well there were several problems that I could only partially fix.

Space

The biggest problem I had was space, both work area and inside the frig. I know I had an extra frig, but between what I had fixed, groceries that I had for appetizers that I didn't fix and what my mother was making, I totally ran out of frig space and could have used another refrigerator. Also the work area is extremely small because the kitchen is small. The counters were already covered with stuff my mother had put on them and I should have taken the time to totally clear off the counters where I would have more room.

Time

I picked time consuming items. Some it was not too much of a problem, but the most time consuming item was the chicken nuggets. If I was helping with another wedding reception, I would NOT make the chicken nuggets. If I was only making chicken nuggets, then it would not have been such a problem, but I ran out of time because of the nuggets. By 10:30 Friday night I was totally exhausted and panicky because I still had over half the chicken nuggets to cook. I think I put them too close together or something and they just didn't crisp up or look as pretty as the test batch I did a few weeks before. If I ever think about tackling that recipe again, I hope somebody starts throwing chicken at me.

Another item I wouldn't make again is the veggie pizza because not much of that went which surprised me because it really was good. Maybe it looked too healthy and we did have many many items to choose from that didn't look healthy. :)

Success

I would make the deviled eggs again because every one of those were eaten and nobody had a chance to take any of those home. One guy had about 15 of them on his plate and after he had eaten half of them, he went and grabbed more. :) Also taking the eggs and stuffing to the reception hall and putting them together there was a good idea and it really didn't take me too long to stuff them because I used a pastry bag and star tube.

Stuffed Surprise Bundles

I would make these again, they are stuffed with chopped ham (cheated and purchased ham already chopped), bell pepper, onion, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, covered in a biscuit and then brushed with butter and rolled in parmesan cheese. Yummy!!!! The only problem I ran into with these was at first I was splitting the biscuits into 3 pieces and then wrapping the filling, but when they baked they would burst open from one end. If you split the buscuit dough in half it worked better. Some would still burst open but it may have been because I stuffed them with too much filling. A whole biscuit seemed to be too much dough.

Taco Cups

I would also make the taco cups again, but the next time I would try a test batch with fat free sour cream, fat free cheddar cheese and I would also grind my own meat so that there would NOT be too much grease. I have no idea if they were liked or not, but I know that I liked them. They also were easy to freeze and take out and warm up again.

Veggie Tray

LOL even though I had a nice mixture of slices of red, yellow and green bell pepper, summer squash, celery, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, mushrooms, zuccini sticks, baby carrots and turnips, with a good homemade ranch dressing, not that much went. I think this was NOT a health concious crowd. The tray was very very pretty.....just not eaten. :)

Changes

If I ever am crazy enough to agree to do this again, I would look for more items that can be frozen after they are cooked so all I would have to do is worry about getting them warmed up in time for party. I would NOT make items that are made, frozen and then cooked before party because they take up a lot of room in the freezer, I didn't allow enough time to get the nuggets cooked before I tired out on day before party and it was too late to discover that even though recipe said they could be frozen (I followed their instructions), they didn't cook up right.

I will probably think of more later, but it is time for me to get ready for work. :( Would rather have another day off because I have a mountain of laundry that I didn't do on Sunday. I was just too tired. Only thing I did was wash my poor pup (she would rather I hadn't), cleaned out the rented frig (still a lot of food in it) and cleaned up some in the kitchen.....then I vegged out and did zippo, nada, nothing, zil.

Supplies

Next time I will NOT go out and buy all of the supplies for cooking at one time because I did not make 3-4 recipes that I had planned on and I now have a bunch of cheese, miscellaneous other ingredients sitting in frig. Ended up tossing away some garnishes that I didn't use, have a bunch of crescent rolls, biscuits, breadsticks, etc. sitting in frig and now I have to make some appetizers to use the stuff up. ARGGGGG