"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

Okay, thanks for the support, but let me ask you the practical advice. How to keep mashed potato warm, and the recipe for the gravy, I can never get proportion between flour and liquid right? Help me out.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie:

Put the hot mashed potatoes in a glass or SS bowl covered with foil or plastic wrap. Put the bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. You could also use a crock pot to keep the potatoes warm.

For gravy, figure two tablespoons each of fat and flour for each cup of gravy.

Remember, the gravy will thicken more if you make it and keep it warm. You may have to add some more broth to get the right texture just before serving.

Also keep in mind that the gravy will thicken a bit as it cools. So you may want to make it a little bit thinner and it will thicken by the time the gravy boat is passed around the table.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Or if your gravy gets too thick then you can just invite me to dinner. I like it thick enough to pick up with my fingers
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Too keep my potatoes warm.. I just leave them in the pan that I smashed them in. Pile them all on one side so there's less surface area. Oh and keep the lid on. Also, if I add milk to them I warm it first. They are not perfectly hot but even after a half hour or so they are ok. The hot gravy on top helps too.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Here is a recipe for butterball turkey gravy. Not from the butterball turkey site, but the recipe sounds good. Also, if your gravy is lumpy, use a whisk, and if that doesnt work, use a colander/sieve to get the lumps out. I usually put the flour in a fine colander and sprinkle a small amount at a time to the pan drippings. As for your mashed potatoes, you can start to boil your potatoes while the turkey is "resting" after removing from the oven.

http://www.discovergames.com/gravy.html

Hmm, this link seems to be very slow, but just do a google search for turkey gravy, or butterball turkey gravy.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd use a stick blender to get rid of the lumps.

If you make a roux with the fat and flour, then add the liquid, you won't get lumps.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #17
Head Chef

Charlie - here's my two cents' worth: I totally agree with pa baker! It's OK to use jar gravy. You can buy turkey gravy...and if you want, you can add the giblets (cut up) and a bit of broth from your turkey to give it that "home made" touch. The most important thing is to enjoy your guests. If you're relaxed and having a good time, so will they!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
Master Chef

This may sound odd, but if you can put together a good gravy, you can get away with bloody murder on the bird and potatoes. It's the hardest thing to do, I'm told (Mom taught me how to make gravy when I was 10 years old). If it is hot and tasty (use every cheat known to mankind ... to me the most important things are Wondra flour and rubbed sage) you'll be forgiven anything. And yes, the jar of gravy will work if you add a pinch of sage to it, and maybe a touch of garlic and thyme. As long as it is hot (And yes, the microwave oven is the answer). And yes, listen to everyone. Delegate, delegate, delegate. I've made Thanksgiving dinner for 30 years, and always tell people: I make a 20-pound bird, stuffed with sage/bread stuffing/dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. If you have a regional specialty or something YOU like, by all means bring it. For example, I love sweet potatoes, but never fix them for company. I've tried home-made cranberry sauce and loved it, but found that most of my guests actually prefer the can. When I've lived in the south, freinds have insisted they have to have corn bread dressing! Great! Bring it! In Hawaii, someone always brought ahi sashimi, and I was thrilled! Don't take on more than you need to, and don't try to live up to someone else's expectation. Thanksgiving is my husband's favorite holiday, and one of mine. (OK, so I like them all). I once was expecting a dozen people for dinner and had something like 25 show up. This year I have no idea. The opposite is happening ... I was expecting a half dozen, and they're cancelling out as their kids take priority. It may just be me and hubby. That works, too! We'll just have the shrimp cocktail I might not bother with if I had the dozen or so!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #19
Executive Chef

One thing that can really be a problem is having too many dishes. I like to have a traditional meal with the dishes we absolutely love and save the others for another time. My mom seems to think you should have everything anyone ever liked on that day and it ends up with so many things on your plate you don't really get the enjoyment of the basics. She also wants to have every dessert known to man and to me that is a real bummer. I suppose that is the reason I've always enjoyed the day after Thanksgiving more. Whatever someone brings, I insist they take the remainder home leaving us only the basics and that we really enjoy. We actually savor the flavors of the bird and the trimmings.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

licia:

It's part of my sister's Thanksgiving tradition to have way too many dishes every year then complain about the fact that, "no one ate anything, what am I going to do with all this food?"

It's nice that we can have these traditions for our holidays.