Need a recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annia

Assistant Cook
Hello! I have a doubt. Im going to celebrate a dinner and I would like to prepare a great food. This is really important because four very special friends are going to come. I dont mind the cost. Could someone to help me?
Thank you.

Do you want meat, fish or chicken? Do you want several courses or just a main and a spectacular dessert? There are a lot of recipes out here. We need some guidance, I think.

Hi.....what types of food do you and your friends enjoy eating when you go out? What is your cooking experience? Are you a beginner or do you feel really comfortable in the kitchen. Is there any types of meat, veg or seasoning you don't care for?

Hi! I and my friends like to go to restaurants of creative food. I am a beginner cooker. I dont cook very much. We eat meat, vegetables...

Thanks a lot.

Hi Annia! Welcome to DC!

When I plan a menu, I think about an overall concept first which will depend on what's being celebrated and the number of guests. Is it a Spanish tapas party? Is it all Thai food? Is it mixed Asian? Is it Italian? Mediterranean? Is it a romantic dinner for two? A feast? A formal sit-down or buffet type?

And then each menu item must be something I would love to eat myself, which I think my guests will enjoy, and which I know I can make very well. (I always test new recipes out on hubby. He loves being my guinea pig.)

In deciding which particular food, I normally start first with the main course. Beef, seafood, lamb or chicken? Then I match the starch that goes with it (mashed potato, fried rice, pasta, etc.) Then I decide on what veggie side dish that would accompany both well. Then I think about what starter to put (salad or soup or appetizer) that would be a nice introduction to the meal. Then finally dessert.

I normally don't repeat herbs in any dish in the menu (to avoid taste fatigue) and I try not to repeat cooking methods across the dishes (say, only one baked item, one fried item, one sauteed item, etc.)

I try to choose dishes that can be prepared ahead of time, or that require very little final cooking/assembly before serving. THis is so I can spend time with the guests.

I also keep a file of the events I've hosted, who were present, and what I served, so that I don't repeat the food to the same guests. I've already compiled a list of successful dishes in my repertoire and I usually refer to this list when I'm planning a menu.

Hope this helps you...

Chops gave you some good suggestion to begin with.
Your question is still way too wide open, there are plenty of attractive possibilities even for a beginner cook and if you ask 100 people this question you will get 100 different recommendations.
Start thinking about what sort of theme you would like in this dinner, as well as the preferences of each guests (and how many will be present?), and try to narrow down the possibilities.
Help us a bit more to help you!!:) :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom