Need help with techniques for making a large amount of food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This sounds like lots of fun to me but I'm thinkin' that someone isn't going to get much sleep tonight. :ohmy: I think I would have started making meatballs WEEKS ago & freezing them if I had some prior notice! I would be too stressed out if I was trying to make that many meatballs tonight. Very time consuming work, if you ask me. Best of luck to you!! We're all pulling for you!

thanks so much for all of the tips and well wishes.

well, i started around 7pm, and made 67 meatballs, and 48 sausages, in roughly 15 quarts of tomato sauce with onions and peppers. i made the sauce in the lobster pot (constantly stirring because of the thin bottom), while i made the meatballs by dividing everything into 1/3'ds. i was still able to get the "feel" that way so i knew that they'd be moist and tender. i also used elfie's trick (thanks chica :chef: ) of adding a little olive oil to the mix because i ended up using 90 percent lean beef. unfortunately, costco didn't have 80 percent. also, i was careful when adding spices, a little at a time, as ic suggested. another trick employed was mish's idea of spreading out the meat and putting the breadcrumbs and other stuff across it to make sure it incorporates evenly.
then i browned them, 12 at a time in a skillet, and then browned the sausages. when the sauce was mostly cooked and all of the meat browned, i emptied about a third of the sauce into an 8 qt. stock pot, and added the meats until both pots were full to the brim., and simmered for a few hours, until i passed out at 3am. thank god i remembered to turn off the burners.

it looks like they were a big hit, since they're almost all gone, and the other trays are still more than half full.

again, thanks for everyone's responses.

Back
Top Bottom