"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

On the grill, how's about pulled pork or the like?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyTurner View Post
This is going to be sometime in july of 2008 so I have a good amount of time to plan.
Okay so will it be summer where you are? That should alter the menu suggestions somewhat and make it a bit easier on your equipment (other than the fridge!) as you probably won't want as many hot dishes. (Well we wouldn't serve a lot of hot stuff in summer here, not unless it was straight from the BBQ.)
In addition to the ribs and seafood that you suggested, I would be looking at little goat's cheese and leek tarts or cherry bocconcini and cherry tomato tarts, pasta salads, fresh green salads, a ham or roast chickens, lasagnas, roast veges and imaginative sandwiches. Things like that...

Most of these dishes can be prepared ahead and there is a mix of hot and cold items, proper meals and finger food.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Senior Cook

well... i just got married in august.. we did buffet style. but we did it more summery..
we did grilled chicken sliced and marinated with ceasar dressing...ceasar salad. We also had a nice fruit salad (we did nectarines, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries), my family's yummy Italian pasta salad (I'd be willing to share) All the sides for the salad (onions, parm. chz, dressing, croutons) We also had rolls and butter for those who wanted them..
Everybody enjoyed it! It was really good, but nice and cheap. We're still getting compliments.. There were a lot of people who weren't sure about it (i.e. my husband's mom) but we did it anyway, and everyone loved it!
that's just my ideas

oh and this served over 100 people, and it can be scaled down or up easily...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

your wedding buffet sounds perfect. I'd just go ahead and do it again.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
Master Chef

I assume you're going to have a lot of guests over 70 years old. Remember to have one dish that is meatless and seedless; many in that range have diverticulitis. Baked potatoes (either sweet or regular) or beans and rice cooked in broth or stock will do.