Need Menu Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cafeandy

Senior Cook
i just got a call from a client who wants me to build a soiree around 30 lbs. of halibut this weekend and he wants it grilled. need some menu options since i'm up against the clock.

he'p me, he'p me!

sheesh, I'm not good at this stuff...

grilled veggies and various sauces for the grilled halibut?
mountains of salads?
potatoes and corn boiled together?

any of that help?

I was thinking grilled asparagus with lemon. This one is easy to multiply.

Simple Lemon Asparagus

zest of one lenom
juice of one lemon
1/4C. olive oil
1 1/2lbs. trimmed & grilled asparagus

Whisk lemon zest & juice with olive oil. Toss with asparagus.(Makes 4-6 servings)

Optional seasonings: minced garlic & shards of parmesan cheese.

Hey, Andy - here's some ideas -

HALIBUT STEAK W/MOROCCAN SPICED OIL DRIZZLE

4 servings

1tsp.coriander seed
1 tsp. cumin seed
½ tsp. fennel seed
¼ tsp.red pepper flakes
2 ½ T olive oil
salt/pepper
4 lb.halibut steaks, 1 inch thick

In a small skillet, toast coriander, cumin and fennel seeds over moderate heat til just fragrant; transfer to mortar, add red pepper flakes, and grind to a powder. Return spices to skillet and add 2T olive oil; cook over low heat til just warmed through. Pour oil through a very fine sieve and keep warm. Salt and pepper the halibut steaks, and grill or saute til browned on bottom, about 5 minutes; turn and cook other side; transfer to plates and drizzle with warm oil.

ZUCCHINI W/ MINT AND VINEGAR

4 servings

4-6 small zucchini
3T chopped mint or basil
6T olive oil
2T chopped parsley
2 large garlic cloves
salt/pepper
4T redwine vinegar

Cut zucchini into ¼ inch slices; sprinklewith salt and let stand in a colander 30 minutes; rinse well and pat dry. Combine mint or basil, parsley and garlic.
Warm the olive oil in frying pan over med high; add zucchini in batches and saute til golden on both sides. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with mint mixture and vinegar. Leave at room temp 1-2 hours, basting occasionally with vinegar in the dish.

COUSCOUS WITH DRIED APRICOTS AND PISTACHIOS

10 servings

3 cups water
4 ½ T olive oil
2tsp. salt
½ tsp. allspice
2 ¼ tsp.cinnamon
1 ½ cups dried apricots
2 ¼ cups couscous
6T fresh basil
3/4 cup scallions
1 ¼ cups unsalted pistachio

Toast pistachios in dry skillet and chop roughly. Slice dried apricots into thin slices. Slice scallions into thin slices.
Combine water, oil, and salt in medium saucepan; bring to boil; combine couscous, apricots and spices in large bowl. Add boiling liquid. Cover immediately; let stand until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Uncover; fluff with a fork. Mix nuts, green onions, and sliced basil into couscous; season with salt/pepper.

Just some thoughts to get you going - the above is obviously a 'middle eastern' theme; try, instead of thinking, 'oh, grilled halibut - need a recipe and some sides', think theme - maybe Italian, Spanish, Mexican, and go with those; for example, Italian may be grilled with some garlic and rosemary, a white bean salad, grilled eggplant; go for the flavors and 'theme' rather than individual specific recipes.

Hope this helps! :)

easy to adapt for number of people/amount of fish...

Hoisin Marinated and Grilled Alaska Halibut
Servings: 12

12 Alaska Halibut fillets, about 5 oz. each
Hoisin sauce 1 1/2 cups
Crisp lettuce cups - Iceberg, radicchio, or red leaf (24)
Carrots, julienne 6 oz.
Bean sprouts 6 oz.
Crisp rice noodles 6 oz.
Green onions, slivered 6 oz.
Fresh cilantro leaves 3 oz.
Spicy Rice Vinegar (see recipe) 24 oz. 3 cups

Spicy Rice Vinegar
Rice vinegar 3 cups
Jalapeños, seeded, minced 2 Tbsp.
Thai fish sauce 1/2 cup
Soy sauce 1/2 cup

Brush halibut fillets with 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce on each side.
Cover, refrigerate and marinate a minimum of 2 hours. Hold refrigerated.

To make 1 portion:
Grill 1 halibut fillet for 2-3 minutes per side or until desired doneness; cooking time will vary depending on thickness of fillet. Hold warm.
Let halibut rest for 5 minutes while setting up serving plate and then slice into 1/2" strips.
Divide halibut strips between 2 lettuce cups and place 1 on each side of serving plate.
Arrange 1/2 oz. carrots, 1/2 oz. bean sprouts, 1/2 oz. crisp rice noodles, 1/2 oz. green onions, and 1/4 oz. cilantro leaves in small mounds on serving plate.
Serve with a 2 oz. ramekin of Spicy Rice Vinegar.

Spicy Rice Vinegar
Combine rice vinegar, jalapeños, fish sauce and soy sauce, mixing well.
Hold refrigerated. YIELD: 4 cups

Good Luck!

Hmmm...love halibut. Love soirees.

I'd marinate the steaks in a light citrus marinade (oilive oil, juice of lemons, ground pepper, light on the minced garlic) overnight, then grill. Serve with a couple of asparagus, dollop of crabmeat, then bearnaise sauce. Alternatively, top with chopped fresh grape tomatoes and cilantro. Simpler yet, top with a dollop of lemony maitre d' butter.

Plate on a rosemary-potato galette (is that spelled correctly?) with onion straws. Alternatively, parleyed or dilled new potatoes. Along with saute'ed or steamed veggies and chilled marinated mushrooms.

Additional thoughts: a rice-pecan pilaf, field greens salad with mandarin oranges....

End with a mango sorbet or maybe a pineapple granita. Or heck, maybe even grilled fresh fruit skewers -- those are YUMMMMM!

If this is a very casual backyard bbq kind of setting, I'd serve the grilled halibut with a remoulade sauce and lettuce and tomato on a sourdough bun...

(Note to self: grilled fish for son's birthday dinner tonight...)

CafeAndy, please do let us know the results of your work here!

this all sounds great, folks. i'm going to get a bunch of baby squash and grill them with some roma tomatoes sliced top to bottom. the rice pilaf works well, too. and we'll cut some fresh pineapple length wise, roll it in melted butter and then in crushed macadamias, skewer it, and then grill it. lots of salad will keep them from getting overwhelmed with all the grilling [the client wants it 'southwest' style and lots of grilling]. dessert will be a kiwi sorbet over macerated strawberries.

we'll do some other things, too...just don't know what, yet. you guys are great. you got my brain from vapor lock to free-flowing again. i'll let you all know how it works.

cafeandy said:
this all sounds great, folks. i'm going to get a bunch of baby squash and grill them with some roma tomatoes sliced top to bottom. the rice pilaf works well, too. and we'll cut some fresh pineapple length wise, roll it in melted butter and then in crushed macadamias, skewer it, and then grill it. lots of salad will keep them from getting overwhelmed with all the grilling [the client wants it 'southwest' style and lots of grilling]. dessert will be a kiwi sorbet over macerated strawberries.

we'll do some other things, too...just don't know what, yet. you guys are great. you got my brain from vapor lock to free-flowing again. i'll let you all know how it works.

Well, I tossed and turned dreaming of this one all night, cafeandy (especially the kiwi sorbet....) ! Took me quite a while to uncover this thread, too! (Boy, we've gotten active here!!!)

So.....How did your soiree go over the weekend??? Tell all!

we have been pushed back a couple of weeks. logistics was becoming a problem for the host because of the short lead time. they have added a bunch of fresh alaskan salmon.

OK, here's my vote on the salmon since they want it Southwest.

You make an avocado salsa - big chunks of avocado, cumin, chopped tomatoes (juiced and seeded), slivers of red onion, fresh cilantro, s & P - serve dolloped over the salmon. **when we make this at home I make a salad with a mesclun mix and a green chili vinaigrette, mix together, place salmon on top of lettuce, place salsa on top of that.

I was thinking for the halibut you could make a mango/pineapple salsa that could also be used for the salmon if people didn't like avocado.

Your grilled pineapple sounds great - rice pilaf, can't go wrong. And since they want that southwest theme you can also add some chopped, grilled yellow/red peppers to the pilaf.

ALSO - don't forget about "Texas" caviar - it can be served on both nicely.

Yes, here's the recipe

TEXAS CAVIAR

3 16oz cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 small jar chopped pimentos, juice included
1 bunch scallions, chopped, green part only
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
1 firm, ripe tomato, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
2 cups vinaigrette

In a large bowl stir all ingredients very well. Chill for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight in a sealed container. The longer it sits the better it gets.

Serve with old-fashioned crackers or tortilla chips.

Vinaigrette recipe - 1 part vinegar, 3 parts oil, chopped garlic
Add crushed garlic, vinegar, and oil. Close and shake well. Let stand and shake again well. Use less than tempted to use.

i have resisted every urge to day to ask just why is he making so much fish???????? ok, everyone together, just for the...

17.gif

the halibut, THE HALIBUT!!!! just for the HALIBUT!!!!! ok, i'm goin back to my corner now...

:LOL: buckytom, sorry I'm so slow, it's just too damn early in the morning to think.

Back
Top Bottom