"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Need menu ideas - feeding 30 people for $300 or less

Hopefully I get hired to do this holiday party next wednesday. its for 30 people @ $10.00/ person. They are suppling plates, utensils, drinks, etc. Any ideas for the menu?

They didnt specify what they wanted for lunch....and after reading Shroomgirl's thread. The will have to be more than likely dropped off.....unless I can get my wife to set up and serve......

Hot or Cold? Hmmm

tasty mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Need more details Tasty Mil - like who you are catering for, formal, casual, sitdown, cocktail style, buffet...

Give us as much info as you can, and you will no doubt get inundated with ideas!!

Welcome to DC!

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
its for 30 teachers at a local high school.....they just want something basic, casual, sitdown.....and will prob do drop off

Thanks for the reply
Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Head Chef
Can't go wrong with pasta, maybe a couple of large trays of lasagna and a huge salad? do you also have to supply dessert?
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Head Chef
What about some wraps? Different salads such as lentil, some kind of pasta. This is the type of food we usually get at our luncheons. Oh and something sweet!
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Can't go wrong with pasta, maybe a couple of large trays of lasagna and a huge salad? do you also have to supply dessert?

dont know about dessert....i dont think so.......but I already did lasagna for them about a month ago.............but that would be easiest for me. I am g0ing try and sell them on teh lasanga though
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
There are lots of pasta options besides lasagna: stuffed shells; baked ziti with Italian sausage, peppers, onions and tomato sauce; Greek pastitsio.

When we have catered luncheons for seminars, etc., we often order a variety of sandwiches or wraps (one tray of veggie, one tray of chicken or turkey, one tray of ham or roast beef), along with a green salad, a pasta salad, and cookies for dessert. HTH.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Head Chef
tasty, am not a caterer but know if you are being 'hired' you have legal obligations and are under many restrictions. In addition, if you are not covered by insurance for catering I would not even think about it.

As for restrictiions it is my understanding that in most areas of the US you cannot make the food in your home.

You need to have at least a letter of agreement spelling out the menu, and your responsibilites regarding if you are to drop it off or serve it.

If you are not a licensed caterer, taking on that responsibility, even for three hundred bucks, opens you to liability and a number of potential problems. Most of which, admittedly, will probably not occur.

Just my thoughts, God bless and take care.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Head Chef
That's pretty easy if you aren't looking for profit.

Ham, cheese potatoes, green beans, salad rolls.. Should cost about $4 per head to make.

If you find pork loin on sale, due one of the many pork loin recipes.. A stuffed pork loin looks very fancy and at less than $2 per pound on sale you can easily stay under $10 for the meal.

Baked potatoes are cheap for meals, Green beans are cheap, salad is cheap,

About the only thing that you are really limited on would be using beef. It gets expensive.

for deserts, bake some cakes. Very cheap and they feed a lot of people.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
How about a nacho bar? Just make a bunch of taco meat, chop up all sorts of toppings, you can get chips at Sam's club that are pretty inexpensive.
We usually have about 15-20 people when I do them, and I don't think I spend more than $50.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote